Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue DR650S Review + Tesla Model X Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you are missing the fact that this camera should be installed with an "always on" power source. So, while it might take 35 seconds to boot, once it is installed, I will always be recording.
I just talked to an installer who was recommended on this forum and he told me he would NOT recommend always on. Said the 12V battery in the car will fail quickly. Any thoughts on this?

I just talked to an installer who was recommended on this forum and he told me he would NOT recommend always on. Said the 12V battery in the car will fail quickly. Any thoughts on this?

That is incorrect, the DC to DC connector rejuvenates the 12V battery all the time. So batteries won't be an issue, mine has been running no stop since May

That's what I did. I spliced a cigarette lighter to a OBD-2 Connector and ran the wire along the A pillar down to the footwell. I tucked everything up into the side panel. You can't see any wires. This gives the appearance of a direct wired installation but allows me to unplug it in case I need to swap it out of if there's a problem.

Here's some pictures. I used a 90 degree OBD-2 connector so it stays hidden.
View attachment 193658 View attachment 193660 View attachment 193659
Would you mind telling me where you purchased this OBD with the 90 degree turn. I agree the 90 degree has a cleaner look to it. I have seen a couple on Amazon with mini usb connection. I can see from your photo the did not use most of the wires but how do you know which wires are the correct wires to connect for power and ground?

Would you mind telling me where you purchased this OBD with the 90 degree turn. I agree the 90 degree has a cleaner look to it. I have seen a couple on Amazon with mini usb connection. I can see from your photo the did not use most of the wires but how do you know which wires are the correct wires to connect for power and ground?
I agree that the cleaner the install and more hidden things are the better it looks. We all strive to make our DIY installs look "professional". Honestly, the 90 degree connector is not necessary. The port/plug is hidden deep in the foot well. I can't see it nor does it hit my legs when driving. You literally have to get down on all fours and stick your head below the steering wheel to see it. I guess if you have someone's head down there regularly, you might want the adapter. Also, that sounds awesome! :D
Again, it probably won't hurt, but IMHO, totally unnecessary step and purchase.

I got it off of ebay. It cost about $8. I took the cable, cut it and used a volt meter to find which wires were the ground and the power. Google the schematics of a the OBD connector. Here's a link:

obd2 pinout - Google Search

Pin 16 is constant 12v and pin 4 is ground. I then spliced that to a cigarette female adapter and used that to connect the car to the BlackVue.

Here's a link to what I bought: OBD2 16 Pin Male to Female Diagnostic Extender Cable Extension Connector C5U5

Reactions: Insureit1
Apparently installing the additional USB ports (for the hotspot) in the center counsel is a bad idea, I had Johnny merely fish the lines (without even removing the center counsel) to run the wires near the current 12V outlet and it apparently damaged the air flow to the passenger vent on the B pillar. So I gotta pay Tesla to fix it.

I will keep you posted.

So use the 12V outlet in the trunk instead for your hotspot as it is always on.

Apparently installing the additional USB ports (for the hotspot) in the center counsel is a bad idea, I had Johnny merely fish the lines (without even removing the center counsel) to run the wires near the current 12V outlet and it apparently damaged the air flow to the passenger vent on the B pillar. So I gotta pay Tesla to fix it.

I will keep you posted.

So use the 12V outlet in the trunk instead for your hotspot as it is always on.

Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 10.44.08 AM.png

Here is what they fixed

Just saw this tamper proof case available from blackvue: Tamper-Proof Case - BlackVue

While it may prevent the SC from disconnecting your dashcam during service, my main concern would be having the dashcam stolen during a smash n grab??
Tesla technicians at the service center unplugged all my cameras when I brought my car in for service a couple of months ago. Wondering if they would refuse service if the cameras could not be disabled with this protective case.

What G-sensor and motion detection settings are people using for the DR650S-2CH? The default settings I was constantly getting motion detection warnings in parking mode, even when no one was in my garage. I now have the Motion detection (Parking mode) set to 5. Not sure if that is too low but the endless parking motion notifications were getting annoying. I will gradually raise it to see if I can find a sane setting that won't ignore a real collision, but was wondering if anyone else has been through this.

I had 2 sets of the DR650S-2CH installed by Johnny when he was out here on the east coast in January. Very professional install and powered off the controllers in the front doors. Using a ZTE VM6200 mobile hotspot plugged into the OBD2 for wifi via AT&T.