Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Blind Spot Detection is disappointing"

Are you happy with rear blind spot detection on your Tesla?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was taught in an advanced drivers course (for the track) to adjust mirrors outward. If done properly you shouldn't have any blind spots at all. When the instructor had us adjusting mirrors he would walk around the car and you would adjust so that you could see him at all times with minimal head movement or adjustments. I disagree that you "really don't have a clue where your mirror is actually pointed.". It takes a couple of days to get used to but then you get a heightened sense of what is around you. I feel way safer and more in control with my mirrors facing outward. Not sure that you can realistically declare this method "dangerous" as I have complete visibility without tweaking my neck around looking for blind spots.
Everyone should use this method.
Point of contention here is, the Tesla is sold as having a working BSM system. AP-1

Reactions: davidc18
I just test drove a Honda Civic today and the standard blind spot camera is the bomb! Love it. It seems apparent from this thread that there is significant room for improvement in Tesla's ability to convey blind spot information to the driver.... especially if a $23,000 Honda does a better job of it than either the MS or MX.

The new Honda blind spot cameras are really incredible. But the $23,000 Honda also does a better job than the $200,000 NSX or any of the Acuras as well.

• Informative
Reactions: Reeler
I use to drive a smaller car (driving the X now) so I'm still getting use to my car's dimensions. Even have the mirrors out so I have improved blind spot views but still can't see everything. I don't think the current side collision or blind spot warning is working or at least for me. I can't look at the hud and back again and there should be some sound warning. Some obvious warning if there is a car in the lane. Or maybe indicate something when you turn your signal on? I've nearly side swiped two people driving and no indication to me other than the other person honking. I know I should be more careful but to me it's pretty useless. Would of been nice just to have those light indicators on the rear mirror as others have indicated.

My blind-spot warning also doesn't do much. Sometimes the sonars will show the yellow radiating lines but that's about it. Most other cars will show a red dot on the side-view mirror, or beep at you if you attempt to change lanes when not safe. I have not seen any such behavior on Tesla, despite claims of side-collision monitoring. Not sure if that is the same or not as blind-spot.

The tech may not be perfect yet, and it's pretty terrible compared to systems on cars that cost 1/4 the MS, but it's still no excuse for POOR DRIVING technique, or is it just laziness? When did it become ok not to turn your head when changing lanes?? Particularly when your mirrors are not set properly.

How about a driver who happens to have one or more pairs of fused cervical disks, {very limited rotation of the neck)? This a real possibility. My 2015 Ford Fusion Titanium Energi has very accurate, sensitive, and timely 'Lane Incursion warning lights' imbedded in the side mirrors. It is one of two features on the car which I dearly love.

Scannerman

After almost getting creamed tonight in a lane change (not on autopilot) to the left, I am beginning to get the impression that the blind spot detection system on my 2016 Tesla Model S 90D is not nearly as proactive as the side mirror-based warning systems for other cars. On my previous car, a 2015 Mercedes Benz E400 Coupe, it was almost impossible to miss a car traveling behind you, and even if you ignored the warning light in the side view mirror, the turn signal indicator would have a very loud warning beep enabling you to abort the lane change.
With the Tesla, the "cone" that you see on your dashboard indicates vehicles on your side, but they are literally right next to you before the alert.
I brought my car back to the Tesla store in Paramus and they tell me that the sensors are not adjustable, and that they "all work like that". Not a good answer. Tesla needs to increase the distance that triggers those warning zones. I am just curious whether anyone else out there has experienced the same limitations with blind spot detection, especially on the driver's side rear sensor.
Iva had the same problem the drivers side rear sensor too. Passenger side seems to work fine

This is what happens when humans start to depend and rely on camera's and other technology to look out for them. You lose your natural abilities of being aware.

There is no need for that. Just use your eyes, look in the rear view mirror and be aware at all times. Problem solved.

It's not hard in any way whatsoever.

This is what happens when humans start to depend and rely on camera's and other technology to look out for them. You lose your natural abilities of being aware.

There is no need for that. Just use your eyes, look in the rear view mirror and be aware at all times. Problem solved.

Of course it's not hard and It's not about relying on the technology, it's about paying for something that doesn't work as advertised. When you have one of your own tell us if it works for you.

Reactions: Spidy

Yea, people have lost many skills because of this pesky tech thingy. Skills like running, horseback riding, navigating by stars - all but gone! Why again do you want to buy a Tesla? ;)

Reactions: clostridium

Unless you have fused vertebrae or some other physical disability and can't turn you head to confirm what you see in the mirror.

The people asking for the safety feature which was advertised as being present haven't lost their "natural abilities of being aware." They simply want an additional layer of safety because people aren't perfect. Your "reasoning" could be extended to any number of safety or convenience features in cars and frankly to many automation products like calculators (lazy bums can't do their own math anymore), GPS units (slackers won't learn how to do celestial navigation and dead reckoning), cruise control (are you kidding me? People are too weak to keep the pedal pushed down?).

I'm assuming your future tesla will be pre-AP? I'd hate to see you fall victim to the same horrible maladies that are inflicting all these other poor people.

You know what the worst is? Modern medicine. Used to be people took care of themselves and practiced all sorts of superstitions because they knew if they didn't they could get sick with no recourse. Nowadays people don't think twice about allowing themselves to catch a once-fatal virus, or get a potentially sepsis-inducing cut, 'cause they lazily rely on modern medicine to fix them. And we call this "progress"... Feh! ;)

• Funny
Reactions: clostridium
You know what the worst is? Modern medicine. Used to be people took care of themselves and practiced all sorts of superstitions because they knew if they didn't they could get sick with no recourse. Nowadays people don't think twice about allowing themselves to catch a once-fatal virus, or get a potentially sepsis-inducing cut, 'cause they lazily rely on modern medicine to fix them. And we call this "progress"... Feh! ;)

What is your point besides being off topic? We are living far longer because of modern medicine. Check out average life spans 100 or 200 years ago.

Unless you have fused vertebrae or some other physical disability and can't turn you head to confirm what you see in the mirror.

As a person with Two fused vertebrae in my neck I completely disagree with you. The head pivots on the top of your spine so to speak, so there is Zero loss in you ability to look around and turn your head. Your forward back movement, pecking like a chicken, is ever so very slightly limited post fusion, to the point that I can't notice it and wouldn't have known if they didn't tell me.

I have no problem looking around me, nor do I solely rely on the sensors. Nobody should solely rely on sensors or cameras.

Most importantly if you are that limited in looking around you then I don't think you should be driving at all. so the argument makes no sense IMO