Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Blind Spot Detection is disappointing"

Are you happy with rear blind spot detection on your Tesla?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately your way is extremely dangerous and gives you false confidence when changing lanes. If you can't see the side of your car then you have no idea what you are seeing, and you do still have a blind spot, it's just in a different spot. One that is extremely difficult to see by shoulder checking.

If you aren't turning your head and shoulder checking, you are a dangerous driver who shouldn't be on the road.

green1, how long have you been driving? Nothing wrong with checking over your shoulder but setting mirrors properly is counterintuitive. (If the object in your side view mirror is your own car it is set too close).

green1, how long have you been driving? Nothing wrong with checking over your shoulder but setting mirrors properly is counterintuitive. (If the object in your side view mirror is your own car it is set too close).
Checking over your shoulder is mandatory. Both for safety, and by law in most jurisdictions.
There is no possible way to set your mirrors that does not involve a blind spot.
The mirrors don't suddenly get larger if you angle them a different place. And if you can't see the side of your car you really have no clue where you are seeing. It's dangerous. The side of your car should take up none of the space in your mirror, just a mere sliver on the edge, just enough that you know where you are looking, and to prove there's nothing along the edge of your car (the most likely place to run over your own kid playing in your driveway, or a cyclist, etc. And the hardest place to see by shoulder checking). If your mirrors are set properly, the remaining blind spot is ready to clear with a simple turn of the head.
If your mirrors are set in the deadly way advocated by several people here, you won't know where to look when shoulder checking, and worse yet, many people don't shoulder check at all because of that false sense of security. Meaning they have no clue what is in their new, and almost impossible to check, blind spot.

Anyway, it's obvious I can't convince people here to drive safely, so I only hope that the people advocating such dangerous behaviour aren't driving anywhere near me or my family. I'm done responding here, believe what you will, just stay away from me on the road!

green1.

First off, you did not answer my initial question on how long you've been driving. If you do a Google search on "how to properly adjust side view mirrors" you will quickly find your answer. Many articles start off describing novice drivers who intuitively set the mirrors as you suggest.

It appears that you want most of the world to stay away from you and your family while driving. I can understand why you would not believe me but apparently recommendations by AAA (the auto club), Car and Driver magazine, AARP, einsurance, Cartalk, etc. etc. should be disregarded as well? Really?

He's trying to make the argument that facing your mirrors out is a danger to cyclists. :confused: He's wrong, but he has a strong opinion about it for some reason.

Everyone should adjust their mirrors how they feel is the safest. I like mine out but if that's not your cup of chai that's cool too.

Reactions: Caligula
It seems to me that the blind spot detection has become more sensitive/effective/better since my car updated the firmware two nights ago from Rainbow Road to the next build. Anyone else?

Calisnow: Funny you mention that, for the first time yesterday while on firmware 2.17.37, I did see the driver's side blind side sensor issue a display while on the highway (for the very first time). However, many cars did pass me on the left without the sensor issuing any display.
A tiny step in the correct direction.

Poor blind spot detection is one reason I'm waiting for a better Model S.

As far as adjusting the mirrors, it is easy to check out how your adjustment is performing.
Watch as a passing motorcycle moves from your inside mirror to your side mirror. Can you see at least part of it in each mirror (without moving your head around more than normal) or does it disappear into a blind spot?
Then watch as the motorcycle moves from the side mirror into your peripheral direct vision. Can you see it with your normal look to the side before it completely disappears from your side mirror?

Two possible blind spots on each side of the car. Normally, adjusting the side mirror so that you can easily see the side of the car will leave the side mirror to peripheral vision blind spot wide enough to hide a car or motorcycle unless you can really turn your head. But adjusting the side mirror too far out will leave a larger blind spot between the inside mirror and the side mirror.

At least after doing this you will know where your blind spots are and how to move your head to check them with your current mirror setup.

as of now for me the blindside warnings are a big fail. they don't always work, the range is severely limited and with no audible or visuals in the mirrors like other cars the warnings given are useless to me because they require you to look down at the dash.

Tesla's Blind Spot detection is much inferior compared to side view mirror based on my 2010 Mercedez GL-350 and my 2013 GL-350. Mercedez detection and warning and spot on.. even my friend who has a recent Toyota Sienna says its awesome.

Tesla's notion of showing white/orange bands just sucks lightly put. I almost could never demonstrate the red band.. i would hear the noise from crash before i can see the red lines.!

One expects technology to be 5 years ahead on Tesla. Not 7 years behind compared to my experience. This is a serious safety concern and i feel they should consider this as recall for falling short on expectations.

I find on my model X blind spot detection (BSD) very inadequate. Compared to any vehicle that has BSD today, my 2013 Mercedez GL-350 for e.g. blind spot detection is spot on. There is a light on the rear-view mirror. Its red if something is near my blind spot. If i engage the turn signal, then i hear a beep indicating that i need to be careful.

I find the band rings of white/yellow is so inadequate. I can almost never get the red lines to show up, unless they are so close that it will result in a crash by then. I could almost never get an audible warning ever on my model X.

In general i expect Tesla technology to be 5-10 years ahead. But this particular one is worse compared to cars that had them about 5-7 years. (Yes, my 2010 Mercedez GL-350 also had this feature that worked simply great!

After almost getting creamed tonight in a lane change (not on autopilot) to the left, I am beginning to get the impression that the blind spot detection system on my 2016 Tesla Model S 90D is not nearly as proactive as the side mirror-based warning systems for other cars.
With the Tesla, the "cone" that you see on your dashboard indicates vehicles on your side, but they are literally right next to you before the alert.

Agreed!

Unfortunately the blind spot detection is useless - and dangerous.

The system on my 2015 Toyota Highlander on the other hand works VERY well.