Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW Introduces Direct Competitor to Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know, but they can still use the same basic sheet-metal and body design of their existing line up and call them BEV Series 3, 4, and 5. Classic BMW looks and interiors, but electric.

I wasn't suggesting they just gut existing cars and cram in batteries everywhere.

They can still "build from ground up" and have the same basic exterior designs.

That would mean they would have to concede defeat and admit they'll need to first e.g. write-off major part of current production assets and ICE patents. Then start investment program which may cost several times the market cap of the company.

I'm sure it is not easy to have a board meeting with this on the agenda.

It is in the nature of a stock listed corporation to stall this until the band stops playing on the sundeck of the Titanic...

I know, but they can still use the same basic sheet-metal and body design of their existing line up and call them BEV Series 3, 4, and 5. Classic BMW looks and interiors, but electric.

I wasn't suggesting they just gut existing cars and cram in batteries everywhere.

They can still "build from ground up" and have the same basic exterior designs.
I don't think they can.
Look at the concept. They took full advantage of not needing to have an ICE. The passenger space appears to move forward, giving better visibility. You would also get lots more passenger/cargo space.
These are rather drastic changes.

Interior materials could certainly be similar, but to take full advantage they body design needs to change.

I don't understand why BMW doesn't focus on just building EV versions of the car designs they already have in production? Sure, it would require major internal changes for the battery and motor(s), but use the same sheet-metal and build what sells.. why bastardize the brand with these far-out weirdmobiles (i3, i8, etc)?

A BEV 3,4, or 5 series? SOLD.

Because it doesn't work apparently. There are many cars out there that swapped out their ICE drivetrains for EV drivetrains, and ended up with a below average result at a high price that sells poorly.

Reactions: 30seconds
I saw it posted that it looks like a beaver, and now i cant get it out of my head. Great job BMW. Thats a real Tesla killer, execpt Tesla will probably be on to flying cars by the time the Beaver leaves home.

"Beaver Motor Works"

Ugh... how the once mighty are struggling to cope. Seriously, BMW doesn't have the brand cache and the mindshare with the younglings that it once used to; Tesla has that now. It doesn't matter how many fancy words you throw into the name of your car as long as it (probably) has to be pushed onto stage still - i.e. a concept - in late-2017.

• Funny
Reactions: RichardD
I don't understand why BMW doesn't focus on just building EV versions of the car designs they already have in production? Sure, it would require major internal changes for the battery and motor(s), but use the same sheet-metal and build what sells.. why bastardize the brand with these far-out weirdmobiles (i3, i8, etc)?

A BEV 3,4, or 5 series? SOLD.
Because you cannot just shove 80 kWh worth of batteries in a 3 series and call it done. The entire chassis would have to be redesigned from scratch to hold the batteries and drivetrain and that is basically a new car at that point.

There are many cars out there that swapped out their ICE drivetrains for EV drivetrains, and ended up with a below average result at a high price that sells poorly.

Because you cannot just shove 80 kWh worth of batteries in a 3 series and call it done. The entire chassis would have to be redesigned from scratch to hold the batteries and drivetrain and that is basically a new car at that point.

Why does nobody seem to listen to what I already wrote? People are so quick to disagree and argue, you don't even know what I said! Twice!

I said DON'T start with their current platform and jam in batteries and drivetrain, but what I said was redesign the entire car from the ground up, but use the same design language and body styles that are synonymous with BMW. Why is that such a hard concept for people to understand?

That would mean they would have to concede defeat and admit they'll need to first e.g. write-off major part of current production assets and ICE patents. Then start investment program which may cost several times the market cap of the company.

They're going to have to do that eventually anyway. And your statement asserts that they abandon the ICE lines.. that's also NOT what I'm saying. I'm saying just leverage all the work and design they've spent decades building, and build a new EV model line along those lines. No more weirdmobiles.

They're going to have to do that eventually anyway. And your statement asserts that they abandon the ICE lines.. that's also NOT what I'm saying. I'm saying just leverage all the work and design they've spent decades building, and build a new EV model line along those lines. No more weirdmobiles.

My point is, they want to stall making EVs a viable option for consumers as long as possible, because it won't be profitable to their shareholders, and the shareholders don't want to hear they need to dig deep into their pockets for a business which is struggling anyway to make a profit. This is how the conservative corporate mindset works.

So any EV project is reluctant and compliance "weirdmobiles" are produced, so the ICE cash cow can milk until the bitter end.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
My point is, they want to stall making EVs a viable option for consumers as long as possible, because it won't be profitable to their shareholders, and the shareholders don't want to hear they need to dig deep into their pockets for a business which is struggling anyway to make a profit. This is how the conservative corporate mindset works.

So any EV project is reluctant and compliance "weirdmobiles" are produced, so the ICE cash cow can milk until the bitter end.

And, in the process, attempt to undermine the legitimate EV stories such as Tesla's in the hope that they die.

Why does nobody seem to listen to what I already wrote? People are so quick to disagree and argue, you don't even know what I said! Twice!

I said DON'T start with their current platform and jam in batteries and drivetrain, but what I said was redesign the entire car from the ground up, but use the same design language and body styles that are synonymous with BMW. Why is that such a hard concept for people to understand?

I'm with you, Hank. But maybe more so:

I've had 5 BMWs, including an ActiveE, which was a 1-series that was literally the ICE with engine and gas tank ripped out and the EV parts jammed in. It was an excellent car.

I think the i3 and i8 are ridiculous, and I'm disappointed that they are taking so long to get a decent EV to the market. As I've posted elsewhere, I agree with you that they should maintain their current design language as they go electric.

Having said all that, I think the i5 is close enough to their current language, after adjusting for concept car extremes, that I'm very hopeful that the final version will be appealing to traditional BMW drivers. Also, we should all remember that even if we laugh and/or scowl at BMW's EV history, once they get serious, they will be a very formidable competitor

Reactions: HankLloydRight
630.png