Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bolt EV EPA range = 238 miles combined!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do I recall correctly that Tesla's entire SC network is worth some $200M ?
If so, it seems SO VERY penny wise and pound foolish of GM to have refused to at least contribute to the build-out on the coasts. Or just an honest stake in EVs as compliance cars and no more.

Elon always said that it would be a minimum of 215 real world miles. Here's hoping that it gets around 240, too!

Elon said minimum of 215 EPA miles range.

Yes there is currently no Supercharger network... (and who's to say that wont change?)

GM apparently.

I don't see anyone comparing Honda Fit to BMW 3 series because that would be silly.

Don't you think they would if the Fit cost more than the BMW?

Thank you kindly.

Do I recall correctly that Tesla's entire SC network is worth some $200M ?
If so, it seems SO VERY penny wise and pound foolish of GM to have refused to at least contribute to the build-out on the coasts. Or just an honest stake in EVs as compliance cars and no more.
I don't know but would love to see a verifiable source for that number. Anyone have a link???

In any case, it just validates my point about VW's Dieselgate consent decree $$. They could build the equivalent of Tesla's Supercharger network with only a year or so worth of funding.... And still have 9 more years left of money to spend. Somewhere. On something.

Yes, it's a shipload of dedicated must-spend infrastructure money. They are going to be desperate to find projects to throw money at. The EV community is going to go from desperate thirst in a desert wasteland filled with only gasoline stations to back stroking in a giant water park of EV charging locations.

• Funny
Reactions: gene and Topher
In any case, it just validates my point about VW's Dieselgate consent decree $$. They could build the equivalent of Tesla's Supercharger network with only a year or so worth of funding.... And still have 9 more years left of money to spend. Somewhere. On something.
As I wrote earlier, it is a boatload of money ... if used wisely.

That is obviously not going to happen
  1. The hydrogen lobby will get a big cut
  2. Then the ethanol lobby
  3. Then the lobbyists who demand studies and pilots and *sugar*
  4. Then the utilities who want compensation for 'free' electricity
  5. Then the bozo companies hired to maintain the network
I'm sure I'm forgetting at least a dozen creative parasites, and that is before I consider political wrangling/corruption

I need to find the right mindset for when I come into this thread. We've either become a bunch of idiots, arguing about whether the best EV to come to market that isn't a Tesla, is a good EV or not (I figure first deliveries by end of this calendar year qualifies for this purpose). Would anybody argue that if Tesla Model S/X/3 didn't exist by end of this year that the Bolt wouldn't be the best EV in any car segment, available in the market? (Ugh - even that question has overtones of Pure BEV Dogma - I apologize for that, and sincerely hope we don't get into that).

Or we're a bunch of car people arguing about the best option among multiple (2) options, and these are the kinds of discussions that are an indicator of a healthy market (in my lexicon, a healthy market is one with options; the Bolt creates options, whether they fit any particular person's needs or not).

I'm going with #2 - we're arguing about the best fit for a particular use / need! That's it!

I can't wait for another few / several years to pass, to see what this looks like with a BMW, Audi, Ford, VW, Porsche, etc.. offering in this broad class (personal vehicle, any segment, with ~200+ mile range, starting in the $35k price range). Then we'll really have something to discuss regarding which vehicle best fits any particular need.

Why not lookup the actual equation? Instead of coming up with incorrect 'rules of thumb'. It isn't hard to find.
You are right -- I could, as could anybody else. In fact I have the equation in a nice spreadsheet I keep posting for people to use and play with. I do, often. I've noticed though that some people are averse to equations and stuff and , a quick estimate has it's uses.

Here is the rule of thumb in all it's inaccurate glory compared to the equation for the Bolt

Screenshot 2016-09-15 at 8.37.34 PM.png

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Topher
If you brag to the average American driver you can refuel 200 miles worth in 20 minutes, they will think you're a fool. They would suggest mass transit for your needs.

Even a 16 year old knows you can put 200 miles into a car in under 5 minutes. Often 1 minute.

Trying to sell EVs based on the idea that refueling does not suck as hard as it used to, but still sucks a bunch, is probably a poor strategy if you want EV adoption.

Nearly everybody reading this thread knows how long it takes to put gas in a car. Those who drive EV's know that EV's refuel when you're sleeping, hence not a significant factor.

But let's go ahead and try our best to stop ICE drivers from even trying an EV as their next car.