Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bonnie's Xcellent Adventure w/X Sig 2 - Config, Delivery, Roadtrip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, you know, you could​ ask her for permission to use it. It's a pretty awesome shot...

True. I assumed she didn't want it shared around, but would be a beauty of a photo to use in many articles, or to at least share once. :D

I was just hoping to help steer off any more photo controversies. (The copyright notice in the signature is clear, but very easy to not notice. And there was already a big issue regarding photos of Sig #1.)

(The copyright notice in the signature is clear, but very easy to not notice. And there was already a big issue regarding photos of Sig #1.)
It boggles the mind how many online (and even print) publications simply steal pictures from other websites. I'd go after them just on principle because it annoys me so much. The one time this happened to me (not Tesla related) I wrote them an email and got a response in under 10 minutes with an apology and an offer to either take it down right away or give me credit (which is the option I chose).

It boggles the mind how many online (and even print) publications simply steal pictures from other websites. I'd go after them just on principle because it annoys me so much. The one time this happened to me (not Tesla related) I wrote them an email and got a response in under 10 minutes with an apology and an offer to either take it down right away or give me credit (which is the option I chose).

We have an *almost* strict policy of only using Creative Commons images, public domain images, Shutterstock images (we have an account), company provided images, and our own images. However... with general fan spy shots and such that are shared by normal people on social media, forums, etc., we have put them into spy shot roundups several times. It seems the general aim of people is to just share these with more people so that more people can see the beautiful vehicle, and tracking down all of the original photographers and asking permission is essentially impossible. We definitely try to stay away from using what look like pro photos or photos from spy shot photographers who work to make money licensing such photos, as well as photos with copyright watermarks (since I assume the photographers don't want them shared without permission) and photos taken by media companies (since they want people to see their sites as sources of exclusive content). But I really think the idea of copyright is outdated for most people sharing photos on social media, and they typically seem flattered when their photos are shared. But it can obviously be a touchy subject, and there are notable assumptions that we perhaps shouldn't be making.

As someone pointed out in Ken's thread, such pics are probably allowed in news publications under the "fair use" exception. Turns out, however, that can be a sticky topic... and you seem to be reiterating that. May have to reconsider given your feedback as well as Ken's.

In Bonnie's case, she has a clear copyright notice in her sig that I don't think any sane person would be driven to violate.

Last edited:
That's awesome. I wasn't into it initially, but now I even love it in pics. And makes the Model S nose and all the grills on other cars look so weird now. Hope the S gets it in March or so.

What @ZachShahan said. I can't believe I'm saying this. I have never, ever before had the slightest interest in the SUV or CUV or similar form-factor for my own personal ownership. But I'm looking at this car and actually wondering about buying one. How the heck I'd get the wife to agree I have no idea because she dislikes the general SUV/CUV form-factor. But from the outside it doesn't seem so much larger/bigger/dominating than the Model S.

Alan

A bit off-topic but I'm seizing the moment for attention.

Much has been written in this thread about Bonnie making her car and experience visible to so many. That's great, and I'm benefiting to, and I am grateful to her for that.

What I don't know whether people realize.... especially those people who haven't met her in person or dealt with her directly... I wonder whether they realize that Bonnie is a helper. A quiet helper. She has recently helped me, considerably, and asked nothing in return and you wouldn't hear about it ever. So I would like to hijack this thread just an eensy-weensy little bit to thank her publicly.

Thank you for helping, Bonnie. There are many people working with me who are also grateful to you.

Alan

P.S. I have discovered that Zach Strahan is a quiet helper, too. But it's Bonnie's thread. :)

Awww, Pollux. Thanks. Happy to do it.

- - - Updated - - -

I found the front-facing radar! Do you see it?

front radar.jpg

What @ZachShahan said. I can't believe I'm saying this. I have never, ever before had the slightest interest in the SUV or CUV or similar form-factor for my own personal ownership. But I'm looking at this car and actually wondering about buying one. How the heck I'd get the wife to agree I have no idea because she dislikes the general SUV/CUV form-factor. But from the outside it doesn't seem so much larger/bigger/dominating than the Model S.

Alan

Indeed. I also never cared for SUVs at all, only slightly liking the Porsche Cayenne (Plug In, of course). But I think I've shifted from a plan to get an S to a plan to get an X. We'll see. My return to the US/FL is still in limbo. But I'm starting to think an X is in the future.

I think I'd really prefer the Y, but I likely can't wait that long. :D

in any case, I see this vehicle being more transformative than the Model S (or maybe equally so... hard to discount the tremendous work the S did shaking up the auto world). It is just so much better than any SUV/CUV I've ever seen.

T-logo is dark because it's recessed and the position of the sun cast it into shade.

I drove 145 miles home from Fremont on Sunday in heavy rain - and autopilot never hiccuped once. I was surprised, since when driving loaner Model S, I typically have lost AP when rain/road dirt have occluded it from working properly. Kind of a 'what magic is this??' moment.

But it's a simple explanation. Those clever engineers at Tesla put the front-facing radar BEHIND the front bumper. It stays clean. And we can't see it. :)

front radar annotated.jpeg

A bit off-topic but I'm seizing the moment for attention.

Much has been written in this thread about Bonnie making her car and experience visible to so many. That's great, and I'm benefiting to, and I am grateful to her for that.

What I don't know whether people realize.... especially those people who haven't met her in person or dealt with her directly... I wonder whether they realize that Bonnie is a helper. A quiet helper. She has recently helped me, considerably, and asked nothing in return and you wouldn't hear about it ever. So I would like to hijack this thread just an eensy-weensy little bit to thank her publicly.

Thank you for helping, Bonnie. There are many people working with me who are also grateful to you.

Alan

P.S. I have discovered that Zach Strahan is a quiet helper, too. But it's Bonnie's thread. :)

Haha. Thanks, Alan. The world so desperately needs helpers. And I think that's one reason Tesla as a brand has taken off so much. Elon Musk is so dedicated to helping society. And that focus is also seen in the people who work for Tesla and many unofficial Tesla ambassadors. I imagine you fit that bill as well. ;)

I think I need to go get some work done, but am eager to see what amazing things get dropped in this thread before the next time I check in here. Such a wonderful community, and so nice to have Bonnie answering so many of the questions people have had lingering for months. I think most of us have even forgotten about the ghost of Eds lately... :D

- - - Updated - - -

T-logo is dark because it's recessed and the position of the sun cast it into shade.

I drove 145 miles home from Fremont on Sunday in heavy rain - and autopilot never hiccuped once. I was surprised, since when driving loaner Model S, I typically have lost AP when rain/road dirt have occluded it from working properly. Kind of a 'what magic is this??' moment.

But it's a simple explanation. Those clever engineers at Tesla put the front-facing radar BEHIND the front bumper. It stays clean. And we can't see it. :)

View attachment 105250

Wow, continuing to amaze. I wonder how many hidden tricks like that are in the X.

Thanks for the photos Bonnie.

In the first photo it looks like the roadster is in shock at the new car, (open mouth nose cone). I suppose its like bringing a Great Dane home to meet a smaller dog.

It looks so much purer the white on the X than the roadster.

The new front shot totally looks like a stormtrooper!

So, since we are into MX trivia, what about the key fob--does it look like a little MX? Can you open the FWD doors with it or does it have any other interesting functions? Can the MX (finally) associate vehicle settings with a specific fob?

...Those clever engineers at Tesla put the front-facing radar BEHIND the front bumper. It stays clean. And we can't see it.
I appreciate the explanation.

Bonnie, thank you for sharing the data with the entire world.

This revelation brings up more questions.

Does any other vehicle manufacturer use such hidden technology? Or, are we "seeing" possible high tech from the space or aircraft industry being used in a vehicle for the first time?

I wonder if the front radar is similar to the side Falcon Wing sensors. Those are designed to work through metal.

Last edited: