Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brackets to install Aftermarket Speakers in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't installed them in my car yet (though I have tested fitment and they do work) because I lost my screws for the woofer somewhere in the house over the past several months..... so that's sad and I will have to ask Tesla how to get new ones (because I cannot seem to match them to any normal machine bolts in any hardware store). Also, is anyone interested in doing any speakers other than those that we have been working on in the forum so far?

@groovyd did you end up doing anything with the woofers so far? If not, there are a couple of working brackets now.

Also, to @ElectrekPanda and anyone else looking for install instructions, I will be making a video of my own install within the next 2 weeks (I will likely record it this week but then will have to edit it and upload it to my youtube channel).

As a side note, I have NOT put the woofer brackets on my site for sale because printing them is a huge job and takes most of the day for a single bracket (for one door). I am willing to print them for some people by request at whatever the normal rate is for these things online (probably like $50) but there's no way I could produce them on a large scale so just ask me if you don't have a printer and I will see if I have the time to print one up. If you have a printer or a friend who does, just download the STL from my site, print it in PETG filament, and epoxy the two pieces together.

Great hearing from you again and no I haven't touched those woofers yet but was really hoping to do this installation soon once you all have 'optimized' the process and brackets etc. I don't have a 3d printer either and to be honest know nothing about getting this sort of thing printed properly if possible once you have worked out all the refinements and adapters and plugs to be solid I would really love if you would print me up a set. Let me know whenever you think it's ready.

I have got a set of sound deadening thick foam blocks the diameter of the woofers that are meant to get glued to the door behind the speakers but I guess the window might get in the way, perhaps behind the window would work and some thin foam gaskets to go between the woofer and bracket and a hoop of the same foam meant to go on the outside of the woofer against the door trim and a box of that heavy metallic sound dampener sticky material. Plan is to do as much to the door as I can once I pull it apart so really hoping this is a once and done job not in a hurry would rather wait till the process is perfect.

Very cool 3d project. Wonder if there would be any sound quality improvement if a thin TPU gasket was added. Shave down current PETG bracket by 1mm and add 1mm TPU gasket to maintain same clearance.

That's a solid idea, though it would likely be more obnoxious for printing unless you have 2 individual print heads to do it. What I am doing, and I think is easier, is just to purchase self-adhesive speaker foam (foam tape) and form it around the bracket base before installing. I also intend to install sound deadening panels in the doors when I film the project next week. I have to check window clearance at that time!

if you are using the original design is to leave the bracket alone and to file down the door trim ring just a millimeter or so all around the circle of it, so that it just barely contacts the new speaker.
Great suggestion, that will be much easier to do!

Also, for the metal attachments with the spring clips (I think that's what they are called)
I don't recall getting any with my Infinity speakers. After some search in the "amazone", seems they are called Extruded U-nuts or U-Style clip-on... but the screws that come with the clips have a large washer and from what I recall it can't be removed. I'll look at car parts store not far from where I live, worts case I'll use regular bolts+screws or rack mount nuts and screws. Thank you!

[edit] Rustrak 170
pcs u-clip in the amazone might end up being best option/price.

That's a solid idea, though it would likely be more obnoxious for printing unless you have 2 individual print heads to do it. What I am doing, and I think is easier, is just to purchase self-adhesive speaker foam (foam tape) and form it around the bracket base before installing. I also intend to install sound deadening panels in the doors when I film the project next week. I have to check window clearance at that time!
I was thinking printing TPU gasket completely separately (red part in diagram) and it would just pressure fit between bracket and driver. Agree it would be a pain in the neck printing as one printjob even with a dual head setup. Self-adhesive speaker foam would definitely be easier.
Tesla spkr brkt.jpg

Again kudos on the project. Those who have not dabbled in 3d designing might not realize the huge effort in creating and testing and wasted prototypes.

I also intend to install sound deadening panels in the doors
I was going to start
I was thinking printing TPU gasket completely separately (red part in diagram) and it would just pressure fit between bracket and driver. Agree it would be a pain in the neck printing as one printjob even with a dual head setup. Self-adhesive speaker foam would definitely be easier.View attachment 547846
Again kudos on the project. Those who have not dabbled in 3d designing might not realize the huge effort in creating and testing and wasted prototypes.

On the amazone, uxcell foam 5 meters x 10mm x 1mm costs 12.75 w/ shipping and you get ... 5 rolls. There are likely other options perhaps cheaper. Considering the size of the ring and a 10 mm strip at 1mm, it seems possible to apply that strip and follow the edge to cover the whole surface in w/ no cut.

Not that I disagree with the TPU option but I'm curious to know the cost to 3d print such a ring for us using an online 3d service? With STL, craftcloud3d.com is what I've used twice so far. It's like the amazone for 3d printing, you get quotes from different 3d print services companies.

Now that I remember, there are 2 rings that came with the 8" Focal speakers... is there a reason not to use them?

Last edited:
I can provide the mouser part number but I have learned that the pin is backordered, so I might contact them to see if I can find one with identical dimensions that is actually available right now. I will reach out to them tomorrow to try to find one currently available and also tweak the plug model for the woofers slightly and then post here by the end of the week. if that is not too late for you.

I used the same "connector pin 18-20AWG crimp tin" (digikey A126106CT-ND) required for the tweeter connector. I used a pair of pliers to flatten them so they can fit in. It seems pretty solid but will likely add a bit of solder to make it just a little harder to pull out. Before proceeding I'll wait for your reply.

I was going to start

On the amazone, uxcell foam 5 meters x 10mm x 1mm costs 12.75 w/ shipping and you get ... 5 rolls. There are likely other options perhaps cheaper. Considering the size of the ring and a 10 mm strip at 1mm, it seems possible to apply that strip and follow the edge to cover the whole surface in w/ no cut.

Not that I disagree with the TPU option but I'm curious to know the cost to 3d print such a ring for us using an online 3d service? With STL, craftcloud3d.com is what I've used twice so far. It's like the amazone for 3d printing, you get quotes from different 3d print services companies.

Now that I remember, there are 2 rings that came with the 8" Focal speakers... is there a reason not to use them?
TPU wouldn't make sense unless you had your own printer and already had some TPU kicking around. What I've noticed from this forum compared to ICE forums, there is a greater percentage of members that have 3d printers. I think the foam you mention and the rings that are supplied with some drivers are great options as well.

What I've noticed from this forum compared to ICE forums, there is a greater percentage of members that have 3d printers.

Are the
majority of ICE owners the same type of the majority of Tesla owners? Many live in California, Seattle, NY, ... and work for high-tech companies. Many enjoy owning latest technology, a 3d printer fits perfectly into that category.

I should own one but I'm already overbook in many other projects until next year. Ordering online allows me to save precious time.

the problem with being the type of owning the latest technology is that you are always also surrounded by everything outdated almost by definition. of course i am the same though recently i have been appreciating more the concept of only owning things that are timeless

This is a fantastic effort, and I really appreciate it being shared publicly. I've grown a little confused in this thread, though. I'm wondering if we should create a sticky thread that outlines which speaker positions have bracket designs done for replacements, as well as what models of speakers fit those new brackets. Also if people are selling them.

This is a fantastic effort, and I really appreciate it being shared publicly. I've grown a little confused in this thread, though. I'm wondering if we should create a sticky thread that outlines which speaker positions have bracket designs done for replacements, as well as what models of speakers fit those new brackets. Also if people are selling them.

I hear you but I think that is the nature of forums. Unless somebody puts in the time to sort it out and create a summary, there is no other way but to search and sort the information that is relevant for your query. Anyways, contact davidtsio for a kit. He might still have some available. Good luck.

I hear you but I think that is the nature of forums. Unless somebody puts in the time to sort it out and create a summary, there is no other way but to search and sort the information that is relevant for your query. Anyways, contact davidtsio for a kit. He might still have some available. Good luck.
On this topic, I am willing to wade through and create a summary for this thread, because I have read the whole thing already and I have a pretty good idea of the state of everything. I should have the install videos done in the near future, as well as proper pins and parts available for the whole front dash and door and pillar area so that bit is fairly done. The back doors and back dash is one I don't really care to tackle myself because I have followed some people's work on that and I know enough to know that there is a lot more physical work to do to replace those (cutting out the old speakers from the back doors, as they are lightly welded in, for example) and I don't really need the back to sound better than it does for my own ears, because it just creates depth and fill for my front setup :) . No doubt it could sound better with upgrades, though, but probably less impact than changing the front.

If I have a summary post to sticky, who would I contact to do that?

Reactions: grmdl3
I too am working on my own version of brackets. I was going to go the same route as everyone with the Focal/Infinity sets, but decided on mixing it up a bit. I am going to try and go with some Dayton Audio components from Parts Express. i have been told that they really perform considering their lower price vs brand names.

I have my harnesses ready to go, i'm just waiting on the speakers to make the brackets. I still plan on felt wrapping to minimize rattling. Maybe some foam tape too for piece of mind.

Thanks to those who contributed. Its been a really fun project so far!

Attachments

• IMG_4273.jpeg
    IMG_4273.jpeg
    180 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
I too am working on my own version of brackets. I was going to go the same route as everyone with the Focal/Infinity sets, but decided on mixing it up a bit. I am going to try and go with some Dayton Audio components from Parts Express. i have been told that they really perform considering their lower price vs brand names.

I have my harnesses ready to go, i'm just waiting on the speakers to make the brackets. I still plan on felt wrapping to minimize rattling. Maybe some foam tape too for piece of mind.

Thanks to those who contributed. Its been a really fun project so far!

Sounds fun! I haven't done too much research on the Dayton Audio components, but I know the reason the infinity's were chosen was for efficiency + mounting depth. The Focals are def. not cheap, but mounting depth is crucial in the front doors. If the Dayton's are less than
2.5" top mounting depth, you should be good to go!

Update us with your results.

Sounds fun! I haven't done too much research on the Dayton Audio components, but I know the reason the infinity's were chosen was for efficiency + mounting depth. The Focals are def. not cheap, but mounting depth is crucial in the front doors. If the Dayton's are less than
2.5" top mounting depth, you should be good to go!

Update us with your results.

I completely miscalculated the specs of the door speaker. Its way over 2.5" Luckily i didn't order the door speakers yet. Parts express has another brand that is 2.6" deep, and roughly the same diameter as the focals. Ill have to try and get more info on them. I might just order it for the sake of learning.

Question: Since the infinity reference are coaxals with built in tweeter, wouldnt that mean you would essentially be adding 2 more tweeters?

The mids i ordered are the Dayton Audio RS100P-4, They have a 1mm thicker mounting depth so hopefully they work. we will see...

Where did you get those green connectors from? Are they 3d printed or not?

The green connectors are Yazaki 7282-6444-60. For work i deal with various factories overseas. I shot one of my contacts a pic of the harness and he figured out what the mating connector and i bought some from him. I still have not physically tried it on the car since i haven't had time, but from pictures, and my contacts experience, it should be the one. Im thinking about having these harnesses available for sale. I didn't want to hijack the OP's thread, so if anyone is interested PM me.

The green connectors are Yazaki 7282-6444-60. For work i deal with various factories overseas. I shot one of my contacts a pic of the harness and he figured out what the mating connector and i bought some from him. I still have not physically tried it on the car since i haven't had time, but from pictures, and my contacts experience, it should be the one. Im thinking about having these harnesses available for sale. I didn't want to hijack the OP's thread, so if anyone is interested PM me.

I spent ~1h30 on DigiKey trying to find that connector. But even with the part number, I could only find 1 company in the US with minimum order of 20 @ 1.49$ a piece... I'm in Canada until ~winter, the border is closed and delivery from the US to Canada would take long.

Instead of using the green connector, I'm going to look in local electronic stores for any female/male connectors that could work. With such connectors, I can then splice the wires ~ 1-2" before the green connector to attach the new ones. Obviously I'd rather have a nice fit and use the original connector .., but it's behind the door trim. It will be fine :)

Yah, the green connectors were impossible to find. I was about to do the same, or use taps but I couldn't bring myself to modifying the harness in any way while the car is in warranty.

...now that i think of it, I actually have an appointment for this weekend for Tesla to replace my entire left side interior harness due to a seatbelt restraint warning i have been getting. I wonder if they would deny the claim if they saw any mods to the harness.

Status
Not open for further replies.