Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brackets to install Aftermarket Speakers in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
even you print the brackets at 20% and 100% infill with PLA, they are still soft, easy to crack and possibility melted by the sun. Strongly suggest to use ABS filament if you have your own 3d printer.

Just dropped in a pair yesterday. The initial testing gives me zero difference compare with stock speakers, might need to choose some better songs to test.
20200920_173102.jpg

Reactions: dfwatt
even you print the brackets at 20% and 100% infill with PLA, they are still soft, easy to crack and possibility melted by the sun. Strongly suggest to use ABS filament if you have your own 3d printer.

Just dropped in a pair yesterday. The initial testing gives me zero difference compare with stock speakers, might need to choose some better songs to test.
View attachment 590410

I find the difference quite discernible. Did you replace all three speakers in the dash? Replacing the two outboard ones is a little bit less dramatic, but I've also replaced the two in the rear door panels but I have not bothered with the two in the rear shelf. In any case the difference on vocal material is really discernible because the stock system tends to roll off the presence region (main frequency band of the human voice esp. female) measurably – and parenthetically, although these are conventionally thought of as mid-range drivers, they are actually run full range except for a low pass cutoff that protects them from any bass energy (which would quickly generate high cone excursion that would get them out of their optimal range and mess up their response). In other words they have significant treble output. By the way I would not recommend attempting what I did with the rear doors. There simply is not enough room for the much larger magnet structure of the Infiniti 4022. Faital makes a really nice drop-in replacement on the other hand with a neodymium magnet that would not require the major surgery I had to do on the rear doors. It was not fun.

Last edited:
+1 on the Faitals I use the 4FE32 which is a 4 inch mid with neodymium magnet. (I think these are what @dfwatt are referring to also) I have had them installed in my dash and they sound great. The clarity in the mid/higher notes is what stands out for me. I just found the time to get them installed into the rear doors yesterday. They fit perfectly there too with no modification to the inner door. Only mod i needed for the door card is to cut off the heads of the plastic "rivets" that hold the OEM speakers in place.

upload_2020-10-27_21-56-14.png

Next will be the rear deck speakers. I'll save that project for the weekend.

Last edited:
  • Love
+1 on the Faitals I use the 4FE32 which is a 4 inch mid with neodymium magnet. (I think these are what @dfwatt are referring to also) I have had them installed in my dash and they sound great. The clarity in the mid/higher notes is what stands out for me. I just found the time to get them installed into the rear doors yesterday. They fit perfectly there too with no modification to the inner door. Only mod i needed for the door card is to cut off the heads of the plastic "rivets" that hold the OEM speakers in place.

View attachment 603054

Yes those look fantastic. I had to do so much major surgery on the inner door liner and it still didn't quite engage all the snap locks. Problem is once I started there was no turning back. But your way is the way to go for the rear door and the rear package shelf although those speakers are probably going to be hard to get at in the rear Package shelf. Please do post pictures to teach the forum on this 1. I am not aware that anyone has posted anything about replacing rear package shelf 4" drivers. So that would be a real service.

Thanks @dfwatt. Its really tough since tesla left ZERO room for aftermarket speakers . I did the tear down of the rear parcel shelf this past weekend. While it wasn't overly difficult, there are a couple of things to look out for. @HitUpOlas 's videos are a good reference. There are 2 very thin ribbon cables on both sides of the rear glass panel that could get ripped if not careful. I suspect if they are ripped, an entirely new glass would need to be installed. Once the deck is out, its pretty simple to install the faitals. The same brackets i use for the dash mids work great.

I'm working on an instruction sheet. It should be out shortly.

• Informative

View attachment 603054

The Faitals are 8ohm, is it just plug&play and behave the same as the stock 3ohm?
EDIT: nevermind, it comes with 4ohm as well.

Received the Focal ISU200 a couple weeks ago, today I just have time to install the tweeters. Absolutely fantastic, but I have some dash rattling to deal with before I can get the 8" woofers installed.

794182d6-f703-4592-959d-cdc1b9a58642.jpg

The Faitals are 8ohm, is it just plug&play and behave the same as the stock 3ohm?
EDIT: nevermind, it comes with 4ohm as well.

Received the Focal ISU200 a couple weeks ago, today I just have time to install the tweeters. Absolutely fantastic, but I have some dash rattling to deal with before I can get the 8" woofers installed.

View attachment 607072

The Faitals are actually available in both 4 ohm and 8 ohm. Obviously you want the 4 ohm. In the8 ohm it's very possible the system will simply sound imbalanced and not have enough loudness.

Last edited:
One other alternative is to use TE 9-968699-1. it seems that this variation was a custom part used by BMW at some point under the part number 837358302. This connector will work 100% with no modifications.

Thanks!
I am having a difficult time finding a place to order that BMW part from, but I would love to be able to use that as well. Do you have a good source or distributor for it? Also, I checked out your website for the parts and it looks great! Very nice work on everything.

-DJ

is there any oem subwoofer replacement out there?

My .02 is it's probably not worth it to just replace the stock sub with a different sub.
One reason is you'll only get 160w to your new sub (must be DVC) and another reason is you'll run into issues with tuning properties as Telsa stock sub box is port tuned for the woofer that's in place. To get adequate bass from the trunk you'll need at least 300w rms.

Status
Not open for further replies.