Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bridge toll transponders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this problem with just toll transponders? I need to mount 3 transponders in my Model S (coming next week!) for access to my community, parking lots, etc. With the new windshield, do i have to stick my hand out the pano and put them all in the nose cone?

Even if your transponder is in the window, and fails to work because of the window signal blocking, the rear license camera will still function and you will be billed the SAME as if you had a transponder. No one writes to say they couldn't see it. There is no ticket. Even if you forgot and left your transponder home, you will get billed as if it were on the dash, because the rear license camera will record you and bill your account.
Of course this only works if you have your license plate registered with the toll tag system, something many often forget to do.

So your Homelink doesn't work? I'm not even sure where my hand held garage door remotes are.

Downtown parking garage, not home. Two transponders. Using the nosecone method sort of kills the idea of grabbing the transponder when I take another car. No? I mean, nose cone removal doesn't look that hard, but for a single monthly garage pass this solution doesn't work.

Of course this only works if you have your license plate registered with the toll tag system, something many often forget to do.

Not sure about other places, but Metro Express Lanes limits you on number of plate reads... Over 10 reads, and you pay an extra $2 for that month. I think I'm gonna disassemble the transponder and put the guts in the nosecone (leaving it set to 3) and putting the shell on my windshield once I get my carpool stickers. I tried all sorts of locations on the windshield and it's not reading.

Last edited:
Not sure about other places, but Metro Express Lanes limits you on number of plate reads... Over 10 reads, and you pay an extra $2 for that month. I think I'm gonna disassemble the transponder and put the guts in the nosecone (leaving it set to 3) and putting the shell on my windshield once I get my carpool stickers. I tried all sorts of locations on the windshield and it's not reading.
How about just a good color copy of the backside of the transponder with any bar codes mounted on a piece of plastic the same size and thickness, and mount that to the window while putting the actual transponder behind the nose cone?

Got the same message from Tesla customer service that there is an uncoated square to the left and right of the mirror mount. Unfortunately, it is not helping from a radar detection standpoint. I sat in front of a cop yesterday that was directing traffic, but left his radar unit on. I moved my Valentine One all around the mirror mount and not a scant signal got through. So unfortunate as I feel naked without my V1. I guess I am going to have to investigate Passport/Bel external installations.

So I've heard that Tesla is replacing the early defective windshields that block EZpass transponders under warranty. I know one owner that just had theirs replaced the other day. The new windshields actually work for ezpass. I contacted my service center and while I have an early VIN with the defective windshield, Tesla won't replace it because I am at 58k miles and out of warranty. :(. I was told it would cost me around $1253.76 since I'd have to pay for it myself. That really sucks. I don't know why they didn't do it in June when I was being serviced at 48k miles.

So this message is to all early owners: get your windshield replaced while you are still under warranty.

So I've heard that Tesla is replacing the early defective windshields that block EZpass transponders under warranty. I know one owner that just had theirs replaced the other day. The new windshields actually work for ezpass. I contacted my service center and while I have an early VIN with the defective windshield, Tesla won't replace it because I am at 58k miles and out of warranty. :(. I was told it would cost me around $1253.76 since I'd have to pay for it myself. That really sucks. I don't know why they didn't do it in June when I was being serviced at 48k miles.

So this message is to all early owners: get your windshield replaced while you are still under warranty.

I'm surprised tesla wouldn't replace it for you. It's been "broken" since day one, when your car was still under warranty. You might want to escalate.

I'm surprised tesla wouldn't replace it for you. It's been "broken" since day one, when your car was still under warranty. You might want to escalate.

Eh. I don't want to seem like "one of those entitled owners where the world revolves around them" yadda yadda. It took three or four complaints by the time I reached 48k miles to get them to replace my drive unit for the milling or electrical power whine that was always there (not the balloon squeal). That was before they extended the warranty on that.

I agree with you though, I'm quite surprised they wouldn't replace the windshield since it was delivered defective that way from day 1. I know it and they know it and they know that I know it. It would seem "right thing to do" for them to replace it even if it is out of warranty.

I'm on the fence for escalating. I don't want to be "that guy". I'm a hard worker and like to do things myself and "earn" the right to things. I'm usually not one to complain. And if it's out of warranty and that really is the key part regardless of the fact that it was delivered to me defective then I'm screwed and really don't have any ground to stand on and if I escalate I would feel like I'm being "that guy". What would everyone else here do?

A small predicament has arisen. I have my car arriving in a few days, and I have 3 transponders. One fastrak, one for my community, and one RFID transponder for work. I guess the only solution is behind the nosecone. I can get the exterior mount for my fastrak but the other two aren't waterproof. I've thought about a ziploc bag but does anyone have any suggestions?

Many of us are successfully using transponders mounted on the windshield in the area marked with the black dots. Your problem is going to be do you have enough real -estate to fit them all. I would do as you suggest, and mount the fastrak in the nose cone, and then see if you can fit the other two on the glass. I have a transponder working that is only 1/3 under the dots.

Many of us are successfully using transponders mounted on the windshield in the area marked with the black dots. Your problem is going to be do you have enough real -estate to fit them all. I would do as you suggest, and mount the fastrak in the nose cone, and then see if you can fit the other two on the glass. I have a transponder working that is only 1/3 under the dots.

OP said that the new windshields with autopilot hardware got rid of the black dots for the transponders