Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
03EF7D13-9EE9-4735-8B98-2C493EDDD503.jpeg
367222A9-F60A-4823-9247-DEE36F3AB2C0.jpeg
Driving down the freeway from LA to SD a car in front of me decided to toss
me rock. The rock gave me a nice circular art work.

After dealing with insurance, I was told I would have to wait 6-8 weeks as windshields are in back order. Has anyone had their windshield replaced? What are the retail costs - fortunately my deductible is $250.

Can anyone chime in a provide their experience.

View attachment 565018 View attachment 565017 Driving down the freeway from LA to SD a car in front of me decided to toss

After dealing with insurance, I was told I would have to wait 6-8 weeks as windshields are in back order. Has anyone had their windshield replaced? What are the retail costs - fortunately my deductible is $250.

I had mine done under warranty as there was a defect in mine. The Carlsbad SC did a great job. They needed it overnight and gave me a loaner. It was in February 2020.

View attachment 565018 View attachment 565017 Driving down the freeway from LA to SD a car in front of me decided to toss

I caught a rock in mine and within five minutes it started to crack horizontally across the windshield. My insurance directed me to Safelite which I was hesitant to use initially. I did go see them and noticed they had a Model S in for a new windshield and they convinced me that they'd done enough Model 3s to do mine with no issues. It took two weeks to get the windshield from Tesla, and the actual install took about four hours. They did an amazing job - it looked perfect. They even showed me the car with all the various electrical connections and cameras dangling before they installed the new windshield. Anyway, they did a nice job. The cost to insurance was almost $1,600 though (I have $0 deductible comprehensive). I found out later that I could have had the replacement done at the Tesla Service Center for about $1,200, which I passed on to my insurance agent for future reference. Might be worth doing a bit of legwork ahead of time.

• Informative
Reactions: Leeon and Phlier
Has anyone has a windshield replaced on a 3 that is ~2 years old? Safelite informed me that OE glass is only used for current model year vehicles. After certain time has passed - they will only approve aftermarket glass. (I.E.: a 2017 or 2018 car would not get OE glass) If only OE is available, most insurance companies will require the owner to pay the difference.

Reactions: Leeon
Has anyone has a windshield replaced on a 3 that is ~2 years old? Safelite informed me that OE glass is only used for current model year vehicles. After certain time has passed - they will only approve aftermarket glass. (I.E.: a 2017 or 2018 car would not get OE glass) If only OE is available, most insurance companies will require the owner to pay the difference.
If only OE is available how do they calculate the difference?

Considering how easily cracked my 2018 3's windshield is, I'm not sure I'm against aftermarket.

In my over 20 years of driving prior to getting my 3, I've never had a cracked windshield. I've had repairable chips on the glass, but never any that led to cracks requiring full replacement. In 37k miles at a year and a half of driving the 3, I have 3 cracks from rocks hitting edges of glass, 1 repaired chip, and 2 other chips. All 3 that had hit at the edge near a-pillar, 1 on left and 2 on right, cracked almost immediately and long enough to not be repairable.

Did I just have good luck no rocks hit the edges of windshield prior to owning the 3?

Considering how easily cracked my 2018 3's windshield is, I'm not sure I'm against aftermarket.

In my over 20 years of driving prior to getting my 3, I've never had a cracked windshield. I've had repairable chips on the glass, but never any that led to cracks requiring full replacement. In 37k miles at a year and a half of driving the 3, I have 3 cracks from rocks hitting edges of glass, 1 repaired chip, and 2 other chips. All 3 that had hit at the edge near a-pillar, 1 on left and 2 on right, cracked almost immediately and long enough to not be repairable.

Did I just have good luck no rocks hit the edges of windshield prior to owning the 3?

one new windshield here and 1 small chip repaired by safelite - within a year.... and that's *with* staying religiously far behind dump trucks, lifted pick up trucks, lifted Jeeps and construction trucks. In my prior vehicles (BMW, F150, Hyundai) and over 12 years driving in Texas i never had one chip or crack...

how close where you behind the car? was it a lifted vehicle/ offroad tires?

Given some of the owner's comments about soft glass used by Tesla, maybe aftermarket glass is better? Would be nice to know who the mfr of the aftermarket glass is.

Having said that, St. Gobain makes the glass for Tesla, and as far as I can tell, they're the largest OEM for auto glass in the world. I think it's the low nose aero design that allows more pebbles to reach the windshield that results in more breakages, but conspiracy theories are far more popular.

A rock hit my windshield and caused a 12" crack on the right side. Tesla insurance was quick to refer me to the nearest service center, and the front windshield was replaced within a week. It was an overnight install, and I got Uber voucher to get home. Note that this was a few months back so I assume parts were less of a problem. I suggest you calling up all the Tesla service centers in your area and see if anyone has them in stock. Though if the crack isn't too distracting, it's not a big deal as the inside layer of your windshield is still intact.

The cost was $980. I paid the $100 deductible and Tesla Insurance mailed me a check to cover the cost. There are cameras and sensors on the windshield, so I doubt that there are generic windshields available.

The kicker is, the next day after picking up my Model 3, I was driving along the freeway and someone decided to abort taking an exit, kicking up dirt and stones, and one ended up hitting my brand new windshield, causing a 1/2" crack on the driver's side. Insurance covered the $80 repair cost, but now there's a bulge where the crack was, causing a lensing effect. I can't believe my luck.

Reactions: hcdavis3
The kicker is, the next day after picking up my Model 3, I was driving along the freeway and someone decided to abort taking an exit, kicking up dirt and stones, and one ended up hitting my brand new windshield, causing a 1/2" crack on the driver's side. Insurance covered the $80 repair cost, but now there's a bulge where the crack was, causing a lensing effect. I can't believe my luck.
It really feels like we're not allowed to have nice things.

A rock hit my windshield and caused a 12" crack on the right side. Tesla insurance was quick to refer me to the nearest service center, and the front windshield was replaced within a week. It was an overnight install, and I got Uber voucher to get home. Note that this was a few months back so I assume parts were less of a problem. I suggest you calling up all the Tesla service centers in your area and see if anyone has them in stock. Though if the crack isn't too distracting, it's not a big deal as the inside layer of your windshield is still intact.

The cost was $980. I paid the $100 deductible and Tesla Insurance mailed me a check to cover the cost. There are cameras and sensors on the windshield, so I doubt that there are generic windshields available.

Ouch!!!! I feel so bad for you. I got a nice chip at one month old and I decided to only repair with resin. Plan is to have windshield replaced when there's an actual crack. Maybe once every 3-5years. My deductible is $250 for comprehensive so I'm not really trying to up my insurance premium by using it with glass. No windshield laws in California.

I have an S and windshield replaced total cost was $624 at Tesla SC. do yourself a favor and and get 0 deductible glass coverage as most every car windscreen is 20% thinner than days of old to save weight, not to mention the sheer amount of glass on these cars. mine cost $11/year additional so its completely worth it

Reactions: XLR82XS

Windshield claim here in Illinois.

Windshield claim here in Illinois.[/QUOTE

I just got a big rock in the center of my shield and my tint company who did my ceramic tint, said they would order OEM glass, tint it, and then install and calibrate the sensor all under my glass coverage. If the Tesla SC does it, they can calibrate for you, if another does it you will need to take it to Tesla to have it calibrated. At least that the process here in Arizona. I'm putting a slight tint on it cause the sun is brutal here. I was told 30 day back ordered too. Good luck!