Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BTX8 battery-code on a 75D... or is it a 85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
60kWh, 70kWh and 75kWh packs are 350VDC. Supercharging at 350VDC and pulling a maximum of 300 Amp will give you 105kW
Always had an eye on Supercharging, as said, under ideal conditions ours reaches 100 kW for just a second or so, I have never seen any number beyond or even 105 kW, but I guess that's normal, because the 400VDC packs also don't really reach those 120 kW but max out at 116 kW, right?

Interested in seeing how this turns out. Our S75D delivery is scheduled for Nov to early Dec so we're probably too early in the cycle to receive an 85 battery pack, if they're even available.

My 1/2 cent on the subject: As much as I would like an 85 pack installed in my car I really think that the ones we've seen shipped are just NOS inventory. The "normal" Tesla owner (outside of a forum like this) probably wouldn't have a clue that they have a different battery pack in their car unless they were having charging issues and the SC told them. Therefore, the factory has the perfect opportunity to get rid of excess inventory that meets, or in this case, exceeds what the owner paid for. No harm, no foul.

Do we have any more details on this subject? Any one knows if the Btx8 cars got that pack due to overstock of old 85+ battery packs?

My s75d has the btx8 pack and I'm still not flagged for performance uncorking and haven't heard anything about SW enabling the rest of the 10kwh. Any one out there with the same pack with some good news?

...if the Btx8 cars got that pack due to overstock of old 85+ battery packs?...haven't heard anything about SW enabling the rest of the 10kwh...
So bad news first, we will likely not know the nature of the overstock and you may never get an official extra 10kW. I don't think there are enough to be an official upgrade. But your battery should last forever and by the time your warranty expires there should be easy ways to unlock the rest.

My personal opinion on the overstock is rather a randomized controlled trial, especially in Scandinavia where a cold weather undercorked battery trial is interesting.

Also it is 1500A, so enough for another big step up in performance, which will again have to be unofficial because there probably aren't enough of you to make it an official upgrade. Look at the whining around missing out on uncorking. Unlikely that Tesla upgrades a tiny minority with that attitude of the rest.

As for uncorking, you probably are just waiting on technicians who are in turn waiting on the service bulletin to get translated. Some in Sweden already got it but I bet you make the list. When was your car built?

• Funny
Reactions: Snerruc
So bad news first, we will likely not know the nature of the overstock and you may never get an official extra 10kW. I don't think there are enough to be an official upgrade. But your battery should last forever and by the time your warranty expires there should be easy ways to unlock the rest.

My personal opinion on the overstock is rather a randomized controlled trial, especially in Scandinavia where a cold weather undercorked battery trial is interesting.

Also it is 1500A, so enough for another big step up in performance, which will again have to be unofficial because there probably aren't enough of you to make it an official upgrade. Look at the whining around missing out on uncorking. Unlikely that Tesla upgrades a tiny minority with that attitude of the rest.

As for uncorking, you probably are just waiting on technicians who are in turn waiting on the service bulletin to get translated. Some in Sweden already got it but I bet you make the list. When was your car built?

Thanks for a good answer. My car is built April 17 an delivered end of June.

I have escalated my uncorking and battery question to Tesla so let's hope for some good answers.

Thanks for a good answer. My car is built April 17 an delivered end of June.

I have escalated my uncorking and battery question to Tesla so let's hope for some good answers.

I'm in the same situation as you, called three different SC's around in Norway, all said my car wasn't eligible. Also elevated my request, but received word that the SC probably knows best... I guess our special config cars have just been overlooked, hoping they eventually will issue a bulltin for our cars too.

Hi,

60kWh, 70kWh and 75kWh packs are 350VDC.
Supercharging at 350VDC and pulling a maximum of 300 Amp will give you 105kW

P = U x I
P= 350 x 300
P = 105 000 (105kW)

The 85kWh, 90kWh and 100kWh packs are 400VDC
Supercharging at 400VDC and pulling a maximum of 300 A will give you 120kW
The video in this post shows an original 70kWh Tesla drawing 365 amps at 313 VDC which is about 115 kW.
Supercharger getting mostly Chademo speeds

• Helpful
Reactions: David99
Sorry to dig up this old thread, but my new Model S 75D (built 8/2018) has an interesting detail.

Check out the attached image - does anyone know what "5B" means? The battery part code is the same as prior 75D batteries and I did have BTX5 during my order process, so I doubt it's anything special. Still, it's just a little strange that "5B" is on my battery since I never saw this before (nor on any searches.)

Does anyone know what "5B" means?

Screen Shot 2018-09-05 at 9.19.44 PM.png

wk057 seems to believe that 5B indicates that the front left module in the battery pack is a brick with 5 cell groups and not 6.

front left for LHD cars, in response to crash worthiness improvements... better for the driver

what about RHD cars, I wonder if batteries are packed with the asymmetry the other way 'round?