Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bug in "dumb" cruise control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This happened to me again today but while going downhill on the freeway. I engaged cruise at 70 and saw the black circle, yet regen kicked in immediately after releasing the accelerator. I disengaged cruise and reengaged it a half-mile later when the road leveled off, and only then did cruise maintain speed properly.

• Informative
Reactions: irelandm
Same exact thing happens to me in my MR Model 3. Even when I am on a slight incline the cruise control will technically engage but the car won't keep the speed so I have to keep my foot on the pedal. As soon the car gets to level ground the car will speed up to the requested cruise speed and then maintain it perfectly.

If I engage cruise control while on level ground it will maintain the proper speed on inclines.

Forgot to reply to this thread the first time around.

The adaptive cruise control does this as well now, not just the "dumb" cruise. If you let off and let it decelerate with full regen for a bit, it eventually catches and aggressively accelerates back to your target speed. Not sure if the non-AP cruise also does this, or if it flat out won't catch until you're done the hill. Really annoying either way, hasn't been fixed for probably a couple months now. Not sure exactly when it started.

Forgot to reply to this thread the first time around.

The adaptive cruise control does this as well now, not just the "dumb" cruise. If you let off and let it decelerate with full regen for a bit, it eventually catches and aggressively accelerates back to your target speed. Not sure if the non-AP cruise also does this, or if it flat out won't catch until you're done the hill. Really annoying either way, hasn't been fixed for probably a couple months now. Not sure exactly when it started.
This started happening to my cruise control and autopilot a few months ago too. It happens mostly when I'm going uphill. I'll activate cruise or autopilot, let off the pedal, and the car slows down at first and then speeds up to the set speed. I've even tried slowly releasing the pedal but it won't "catch" until I'm almost off the pedal.