Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Built in Austin? Look for the "A" in VIN digit 11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They have been running this equipment since mid 2021 so I don't expect there to be many issues with the first batch which aren't there long term
Running the equipment dry is different than actual production and you don’t think at all the other factories they did similar dry runs? There will be issues with initial production. Those get worked out with time. Until there are producing 1000s of cars per week, we won’t know what the final build quality will be.

Reactions: EVDRVN
Running the equipment dry is different than actual production and you don’t think at all the other factories they did similar dry runs? There will be issues with initial production. Those get worked out with time. Until there are producing 1000s of cars per week, we won’t know what the final build quality will be.
They weren't running this dry, we know there were cars on the line back in september.

The issues with the first MY's were paint and panel gaps. The gaps are still there, the paint was dealing with the systems they had in place in the old factory.

If anything the casted front and back and modern paint booth should have less issues then what was there prior an possibly current

They weren't running this dry, we know there were cars on the line back in september.

The issues with the first MY's were paint and panel gaps. The gaps are still there, the paint was dealing with the systems they had in place in the old factory.

If anything the casted front and back and modern paint booth should have less issues then what was there prior an possibly current
It’s cool that you drani the cool aid and bought it. Optimism is great. But at this point, the ”they’ve been building vehicles for ,on the and storing them inside” crowd has to start worrying when they have rolled out about 100 vehicles total. If they started in September, that’s 5+ months and they only have 100. There is still a long way to go before you see any real production from Austin. They have 100 so they’ll do a few customer deliveries as promised but until those get into customers hands, we don’t even know if they have 4680 in them. Just because Elon drove one inside the factory doesn’t mean they are producing customer vehicles with them. As a new vehicle design it has a lot of testing and certification to go through.

Here is some more current speculation..... I still don't think we have seen any Austin VIN's posted yet.

1645195294775.jpeg

(Haha just kidding, kinda)

Which are mostly speculation based on observations. Their flyovers have lots of information but they are a small snapshot in time. For instance, the car carrier of MYP. Where did it come from? Where did it go? Sure there were 8 MYP but we hadn’t seen any before or since at Austin. Were they from Fremont? Nobody here knows and any comments on those YouTube videos are pure speculation that fuels views and clicks and money for them.

So I just ordered my MYLR today with delivery expected in August. Anybody have any idea of my chances of the 4680 battery (Austin). BTW, I live in Florida if that makes any difference.
No one can guess on a percentage right now. Is there a chance? Yes. Could be high if they have enough battery production and factory capacity to match orders, but could be low if either of those fails to meet demand. If we knew how many of the 100,000+ waitlist orders were east of Texas it would help know how much production was needed from Austin.

Why does your signature say 4680? Do you have reliable confirmation about the battery chemistry on your (from your signature) yet to be delivered MYP?

Chemistry is independent from form factor. Tesla can put the same chemistry in any of the three formats of cylindrical cells that they use. All they ever promised from the 4680 is that it would make for easier production and lighter vehicles. There's actually not a lot of advantage to the consumer. Mostly it is in cost savings for tesla. Eventually that could show up in savings for the consumer. But it's really about Tesla gaining greater market share via lower production costs.

No one can guess on a percentage right now.
I'll guess 11.111(repeating of course)%.
So I just ordered my MYLR today with delivery expected in August. Anybody have any idea of my chances of the 4680 battery (Austin). BTW, I live in Florida if that makes any difference.
Likely higher chances if you order performance. Likely higher chance for people that take delivery in December. And of course, higher chance for people who take deliver next year.
Two theories:
  1. Others have theorized that it doesn't matter as you will have same specs regardless of which cells are in the vehicle.
  2. There is going to be a change in trim levels. Short range(LFP), medium range(2170), long range (4680)
Both theories can be correct. For example if theory #2 happens in Q4 for performance model.

Last edited:
I'll guess 11.111 (repeating of course)%.

Likely higher chances if you order performance. Likely higher chance for people that take delivery in December. And of course, higher chance for people who take deliver next year.
Two theories:
1. Others have theorized that it doesn't matter as you will have same specs regardless of which cells are in vehicle.
2. There is going to be a change in trim levels. Short range(LFP), medium range(2170), long range (4680)

I'd say you have one chance. Unless you ordered two cars, in which case you have two chances. Florida makes no difference! :D

Two theories:
  1. Others have theorized that it doesn't matter as you will have same specs regardless of which cells are in the vehicle.
I am firmly in Camp #1, it allows them to make more cars using fewer batteries, I don't think there will be any appreciable difference seen by the consumer. But if they do go with #2, how would they do that.? Would you have to reorder? Would they offer you both and you had to pick one and if you went with the long-range would you just have to pay the higher price? What if there were price changes while you wait, which would you get? Too many variables, IMO. Same range, same 2 options, better margins for Tesla.

I am firmly in Camp #1, it allows them to make more cars using fewer batteries, I don't think there will be any appreciable difference seen by the consumer. But if they do go with #2, how would they do that.? Would you have to reorder? Would they offer you both and you had to pick one and if you went with the long-range would you just have to pay the higher price? What if there were price changes while you wait, which would you get? Too many variables, IMO. Same range, same 2 options, better margins for Tesla.
Yes, way too many variables. As stated by others, the goal of 4680 is to lower manufacturing costs. All the other benefits are secondary.

Reactions: samori01

Two theories:
The Tesla Plaid uses the original

Two theories:
Both theories can be correct. For example if theory #2 happens in Q4 for performance model.
why does the Tesla S Plaid still using the smallest original battery (18650)while getting over 400 miles and over 1000K HP, the Model X using the 2170 also getting 400 mile range and about 700+ HP.. Range will always be controlled by Tesla regardless of what battery cells and the HP dictated by the Motors.

Reactions: Destiny1701
The Tesla Plaid uses the original

why does the Tesla S Plaid still using the smallest original battery (18650)while getting over 400 miles and over 1000K HP, the Model X using the 2170 also getting 400 mile range and about 700+ HP.. Range will always be controlled by Tesla regardless of what battery cells and the HP dictated by the Motors.
While the individual cells are smaller the total pack capacity is larger which allows for more range. How come you keep bringing Model S and other cars into the discussion? 4680 will only be going into MY for the short term until production ramp on cells can meet demand and then be used for Semi and Cybertruck. 4680 was not developed for increased power or range, strictly to save Tesla money at comparable pack capacities to other cell formats.

Reactions: samori01
While the individual cells are smaller the total pack capacity is larger which allows for more range. How come you keep bringing Model S and other cars into the discussion? 4680 will only be going into MY for the short term until production ramp on cells can meet demand and then be used for Semi and Cybertruck. 4680 was not developed for increased power or range, strictly to save Tesla money at comparable pack capacities to other cell formats.
The end result, bottom line is that the 4680 will save Tesla mega bucks, and future flexibility to charge more if you want more range in the MY’s 🤷🏻‍♂️
Also will allow them to finally build an economy Tesla. It’s all about more profit and control, knowing that we sheep will follow along for the new & latest; But we know that the EV industry is on a fast pace to compete with Tesla.. China, VW, Volvo, Ford, S. Koreans, GM, & others; Consumers now have lots of options.