Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

burbank service center drove my car 110+ miles during service?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a wind noise on the highway from driver side window. Over 3 days they drove the car 110+ miles for "road tests". When I complained the service manager said they just had to test it multiple times because they tape a section off/try something until they find the problem. Seems like wind noise is such a common concern and they keep giving me BS answers. Also saw them drive my car one night at 11:20pm and was told their techs work until midnight. Has anyone experienced this?

I had a wind noise on the highway from driver side window. Over 3 days they drove the car 110+ miles for "road tests". When I complained the service manager said they just had to test it multiple times because they tape a section off/try something until they find the problem. Seems like wind noise is such a common concern and they keep giving me BS answers. Also saw them drive my car one night at 11:20pm and was told their techs work until midnight. Has anyone experienced this?
Would you prefer they just blow on the car to find the mystery noise? They are trying to solve your complaint.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I don't see the problem. They have to drive the car to diagnose a wind noise issue. I highly doubt they have a wind tunnel at a local SC to test the car in, so driving it is the only other option.

I think you should relax, it is not a big deal!

Upvote 0
Okay, I've been thinking about this. 110+ miles is absolutely absurd.
Unless the SC is 50 miles from a freeway, there's just no way anyone would need to drive 110+ miles to isolate "wind noise." Getting the car up to speed takes a few hundred yards, you listen...stop...adjust tape...repeat. ONE trip out from the SC should isolate any issues.

If this were my car, I would be furious about this, and would have a serious (always civil, though ;)) discussion with the manager of the SC. Not much you can do about it, though...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Okay, I've been thinking about this. 110+ miles is absolutely absurd.
Unless the SC is 50 miles from a freeway, there's just no way anyone would need to drive 110+ miles to isolate "wind noise." Getting the car up to speed takes a few hundred yards, you listen...stop...adjust tape...repeat. ONE trip out from the SC should isolate any issues.

If this were my car, I would be furious about this, and would have a serious (always civil, though ;)) discussion with the manager of the SC. Not much you can do about it, though...
It's LA. You might have to drive on the freeway for 20 miles before you get to an area where you can actually hit the speed limit😉.

In all seriousness services like Teslafi are nice since they still log the car movement even in service mode at least in my experience. I had a TPMS on my M3 and could see them taking multiple test drives to resolve.

Upvote 0
At work I've been on repetitive hours-long "cold soak" maintenance flights trying to duplicate issues that only happen after a couple hours at high altitude. Sometimes it takes four or five of those to nail it down. I can imagine that trying to find a place for sustained higher speeds to deal with wind noise, especially if you have someone trying to nail down the location, might be difficult in Socal.

Bigger question is: did they fix it?

Reactions: eskudo12791
Upvote 0
10-20 miles to replicate a wind noise? Sure. The upper end of that is quite a bit though from a diagnostic standpoint. Any good tech should be able to replicate a wind noise within a couple of miles in most cases. 110+ miles? Hell no! That's 10x excessive and makes it pretty obvious that it was driven for more than just diagnosing a wind noise which is why you took it in. The OP has every right to be pissed.

Reactions: Pianewman
Upvote 0
You asked service, why the 110 miles. They said they have a process where they tape an area, drive it to speed and repeat this until they find the area generating noise. They effect a repair then need to retest it again to see if the repair worked. If not, they need to tape another area and drive it again. Wash...Rinse...Repeat.
This may simply be the reason they needed to put on some miles.
Techs are not allowed to exceed speed limits during testing, so may have needed to drive some ways on each attempt to fina a time and place in busy LA with free flowing high speed traffic. Imagine that just around Midnight, prior to going off shift would be the best time.

Perhaps the best answer is the one you got.

Upvote 0
Where's the OP? Did they resolve the wind issue?
Wow. 3 days. 110+ miles. I understand the TIME it would take to tape/drive/retape/drive, etc. etc. It's a real pain in the ass process.

I still can't wrap my head around 110+ miles, though. ;)

Upvote 0
Burbank Tesla is 1 mile from the 5 freeway onramp. 101, 134, 5, 118, 405 are all within 5-6 miles. Easily can reach speeds of 80mph+ except during rush hour.
Try to drive 110 miles in three days in LA. It's 15 miles from the valley to the beach and PCH HWY 1.

Most likely someone used the car for their commute and running errands for three days to check for wind noise.
That's the best case I can think of.

Reactions: Pianewman
Upvote 0
I admit it is a surprise. But really, what? Did they use too much...electricity? Wear something out?

They tried to fix my wind noise, but could not. I suspect it's really sometimes OUTSIDE the car right
at the drivers side window. Weird aero. Having driven 30000 miles I still don't know.
Kind of depends on the wind blowing across the freeway.

Upvote 0