Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

. . . but what do you miss from your old car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haven't taken delivery of my first Tesla yet (MYP coming within the next 3 weeks), but I'll definitely miss the stick in my 2015 WRX and the sound of the turbo. Also the 'subaru wave' that is shared between all WRX/STI drivers. I'm keeping my BLUE WRX license plate though.

Time to grow up I suppose.

Not much from my last (two) Jags, XJ8 Vanden Plas, and XJ8L. Both V8's now seem very sluggish compared to my MS. I liked the little tables that pulled down from the back seats on the Vanden Plas model... AND I liked the way the music got automatically louder the faster you went. Wife loved the interiors and dislikes the MS in comparison. For me there is no comparison - the MS is hands down the best, most reliable auto I have ever had, and by far the most fun.

I get the CarPlay thing. I've never owned a car with it, but it seems like every car I rent these days has it and I do really like it. Mostly the integration with the navigation between the phone and the car is awesome.
Tesla has done an excellent job with their infotainment system. I love it and personally never wish for CarPlay. However, CarPlay is the standard, and I don't think Tesla should fight that. It helps us all if we can agree on a standard interface.

Reactions: artnalex
Tesla has done an excellent job with their infotainment system. I love it and personally never wish for CarPlay. However, CarPlay is the standard, and I don't think Tesla should fight that. It helps us all if we can agree on a standard interface.
First of all carplay is not a standard! Tesla is Apple of Electric cars! They are building their own ecosystem which they won’t let others to interfere with. The end. They don’t care if you like it or not they do what they think is best just like Apple.

Correct, it is not a standard yet in the strict sense. I should say CarPlay is a de facto standard, that is, it has become accepted in practice but has not undergone any formal process to obtain consensus. Who knows, maybe Tesla will become the standard, or maybe Android Auto, but some standard will eventually prevail. That's why there is no more Betamax and HDDVD.

Reactions: artnalex
I graduated from a 1988 Volvo 240 Wagon. The MY is vastly superior in most ways, but I miss:

much tighter turning radius
much larger storage space
much better visibility out the back
I miss these too! Still have the 1989 Honda Wagon (bought new, now with antique plates).

I miss the Honda's

- much tighter turning radius,
- space to haul a small appliance (Honda has an additional 5-6" top clearance) and most importantly:
- superb visibility (makes backing up or checking blind spot a snap),
- BACKUP LIGHTS THAT WORK!

Trying to see anything through the back window on a pitch black rainy night on a dark unfamiliar driveway is a nightmare.
The MY backup camera is sometimes near useless.

Love my MY (yes, so superior) but I miss the above greatly.

Last edited:
Reactions: rjpjnk and BitJam
First of all carplay is not a standard! Tesla is Apple of Electric cars! They are building their own ecosystem which they won’t let others to interfere with. The end. They don’t care if you like it or not they do what they think is best just like Apple.
Car play is not a standard, but it has effectively become the standard, for all the reasons people have mentioned above. The big advantage for both car makers and consumers is the carmakers don't have to worry about updating apps or the interface. There's another thread in which someone asked about Sirius XM availability in the Tesla. Of course there is none and you're stuck using the bluetooth connection which is a poor substitute at best. If Tesla had CarPlay it wouldn't be problem.

Of course, if you don't like CarPlay or you find the Tesla apps adequate for your needs, it's a non issue as well - you just don't use it.

My last car was a Chrysler Pacifica Plug-in Hybrid. It was a fabulous vehicle for my needs at the time. What I wished my MY had:

1. Automatic windshield wipers that always worked well and were very quiet
2. Ventilated front seats that increased comfort and reduced use of AC
3. 360 degree bird's eye view that all passengers wondered how I could get the satellites to beam down the images
4. Less road noise at highway speeds
5. Easier to just toss my bicycle in the back
6. When someone call me while in the car, if I had their picture in my contacts file, their picture popped up on the screen so I could instantly see who was calling. Fabulous feature.

Would I ever want to go back to my old car or a new version of it? Heck no, I get too much joy and fun out of my MY to ever regress.

Reactions: BitJam
My last car was a Chrysler Pacifica Plug-in Hybrid. It was a fabulous vehicle for my needs at the time. What I wished my MY had:

1. Automatic windshield wipers that always worked well and were very quiet
2. Ventilated front seats that increased comfort and reduced use of AC
3. 360 degree bird's eye view that all passengers wondered how I could get the satellites to beam down the images
4. Less road noise at highway speeds
5. Easier to just toss my bicycle in the back
6. When someone call me while in the car, if I had their picture in my contacts file, their picture popped up on the screen so I could instantly see who was calling. Fabulous feature.

Would I ever want to go back to my old car or a new version of it? Heck no, I get too much joy and fun out of my MY to ever regress.
I used to tell people I got the 360˚ view because when you buy the car they provide a drone that follows you everywhere that produces the bird's eye view. :) .. no one ever believed me

But, seriously, the MY has about 4x more cameras than the Nissan. So, why no 360 view???

I used to tell people I got the 360˚ view because when you buy the car they provide a drone that follows you everywhere that produces the bird's eye view. :) .. no one ever believed me

But, seriously, the MY has about 4x more cameras than the Nissan. So, why no 360 view???
Nothing beats Subarus for their outward visibility. Viewing angles in all of my Subarus had always been unbeatable.

Maybe, I had a Subaru in the 1970's. It was a fine car. But now I have a Tesla and a 5 yr old Nissan that cost about half what the Tesla did has a more comprehensive set of safety features, and I do count a bird's eye view, blind spot, cross traffic, forward and rear motion detection with braking as safety features.

Reactions: WhiteWi
- BACKUP LIGHTS THAT WORK!

Trying to see anything through the back window on a pitch black rainy night on a dark unfamiliar driveway is a nightmare.
The MY backup camera is sometimes near useless.
Hmmm, I find the backup camera + lights to be super. I.e. I can see better on the screen (including colors) than I could with my own vision. VIN 199x, maybe it is different on yours?