Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a ‘23 MY Standard Range - Please educate me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my MYLR (same as my Jan order and instead of the MYAWD that I substituted for that one) yesterday in Knoxville. Either I'm not as picky as others or I'm a very poor judge of quality, but the Y really looks very well put together. No gaps anywhere that I could see, lines were consistent, nothing improper anywhere in the paint, a close inspection of the interior didn't reveal any anomalies. After reading the horror stories of others and seeing their pictures, I was prepared for just about anything - and literally found nothing that gave me the slightest pause. Perhaps because the Knoxville store is smaller, I couldn't be happier with the service and patience of the staff there.

Picked up my MYLR (same as my Jan order and instead of the MYAWD that I substituted for that one) yesterday in Knoxville. Either I'm not as picky as others or I'm a very poor judge of quality, but the Y really looks very well put together. No gaps anywhere that I could see, lines were consistent, nothing improper anywhere in the paint, a close inspection of the interior didn't reveal any anomalies. After reading the horror stories of others and seeing their pictures, I was prepared for just about anything - and literally found nothing that gave me the slightest pause. Perhaps because the Knoxville store is smaller, I couldn't be happier with the service and patience of the staff there.
I think most cars are like that (mine was). We read the worst on TMC and it paints a picture much removed from reality. The few bad examples are much more likely to post on TMC about their poor build quality but when I checked out the other cars being delivered the same day as mine the quality looked very good on all of them.

Reactions: pipestem
Long time lurker, but fist time caller. :) Lots of great information on this forum, almost too much. After reading a few posts I started questioning my decision to get a MY. However, I always wanted a Tesla, so I decided I will go through with it and lease it.

Here is my info and I am located in Chicago:
2023 MYAWD with 20" wheels.
OD: 2/21
EDD: 3/4-29
Got the text to schedule delivery this morning, YAY. Picking up the MY on 3/14. Fingers crossed it will be a good one. Will post an update how it goes next week.

Good luck to everyone and hopefully you get your MY's soon.

Mine too! Just picked it up - it’s literally perfect .. and I used the Github checklist! I’ll post a more detailed update tonight. So pumped!

Like many others here I was able to hold on to one of the new builds from Austin 3/6. I saw it late last night on inventory so I placed a new order. This one didn’t have the tow hitch so I thought I would install later. Couple hours later I noticed that there was one available with hitch but I wasn’t going to spend another $250 for a third time not knowing if I would even get back one refunded. So, I texted right away, and called first thing to try to switch the order. The person on the phone that he wasn’t local, he could ask but basically he didn’t know how and while we were talking the car with hitch went away, of course. These people that answer calls when you call the local store are not local it’s just a customer service hub and any rep available can answer he said, so they are little to no help and I hung up. Called again the local number, selected service department instead, confirmed that the person was at location and asked him to transferred my call to sales, so finally I was able to talk to a local SA and he was able to help. By the way got his extension number in case I needed to call him back :)
Resolution:
-They were able to add the new vin to my original order and replace the TBD one
-With this I didn’t have to complete the tasks again
-Lost the $250 of the second order, allegedly because they were both from inventory (aka manager didn’t want to)
-No tow hitch for me or order service at $1300 (another $300 loss)
-New car base price $500 higher
-Total loss over $1000
….but hey! I get my MY this week :)

Like many others here I was able to hold on to one of the new builds from Austin 3/6. I saw it late last night on inventory so I placed a new order. This one didn’t have the tow hitch so I thought I would install later. Couple hours later I noticed that there was one available with hitch but I wasn’t going to spend another $250 for a third time not knowing if I would even get back one refunded. So, I texted right away, and called first thing to try to switch the order. The person on the phone that he wasn’t local, he could ask but basically he didn’t know how and while we were talking the car with hitch went away, of course. These people that answer calls when you call the local store are not local it’s just a customer service hub and any rep available can answer he said, so they are little to no help and I hung up. Called again the local number, selected service department instead, confirmed that the person was at location and asked him to transferred my call to sales, so finally I was able to talk to a local SA and he was able to help. By the way got his extension number in case I needed to call him back :)
Resolution:
-They were able to add the new vin to my original order and replace the TBD one
-With this I didn’t have to complete the tasks again
-Lost the $250 of the second order, allegedly because they were both from inventory (aka manager didn’t want to)
-No tow hitch for me or order service at $1300 (another $300 loss)
-New car base price $500 higher
-Total loss over $1000
….but hey! I get my MY this week :)
I think you can get tow hitch after market much cheaper than $1000. Probs for just under $500

Hi there! New to the board but very grateful to all of you. Learning a lot.

My OD for a MYAWD was 2/8, VIN received same day, and we are stuck on TBD. Over a week now.

Can someone explain / guess why this is even happening, that later VINs out of Austin are being delivered seamlessly when our tranche of "inventory" orders are stuck in the ether? I just don't get it (and I am in the DC area, where there have been very, very few cars in inventory lately, so a VIN transfer seems unlikely in the nearest future).

Reactions: dion009

My OD for a MYAWD was 2/8, VIN received same day, and we are stuck on TBD. Over a week now.

Can someone explain / guess why this is even happening, that later VINs out of Austin are being delivered seamlessly when our tranche of "inventory" orders are stuck in the ether? I just don't get it (and I am in the DC area, where there have been very, very few cars in inventory lately, so a VIN transfer seems unlikely in the nearest future).
well we know its happening for sure but why ? no one knows yet, Are there any states closer to you which allow you to buy a car without registration restriction like for me I am in GA but i cant get cars from TN,AL but i can get from FL just like that try looking on waiting for tesla states next to you maybe there must be at least 1 or 2 states from where you can buy it. the worst part about Feb ordered cars i have seen is no one has any information about it so i would say its worth a drive to grab one before the tax credit changes.

That lot has some issues. Lots of us who was in that lot got other inventory vehicles. Not sure if they have made it yet or going to make it. It would be a good idea to look for another one.

Reactions: Cleblanc

Can you get on from Virginia? I saw that there were some available earlier today there. Keep an eye on the inventory, either from the actual Tesla site or from WaitingfromTesla. I happened to check late last night and one showed up and around midnight another one. Everyone here that ordered in February, that lost original EDD to TBD and now are picking up delivery is because they found the car that way. Those orders are in limbo and not even Tesla people can or will help you. Good luck on your search and hopefully you'll get one soon.

Facetune_07-03-2023-20-15-11.JPG

Alright all -- here she is! Originally had an OD of 2/9 for a MYAWD W/B 19"... never got an EDD, kept saying "TBD", so like @dion009, I found one in inventory and called my SA to have the VIN assigned to my order. Picked it up today...

1. I arrived an hour early because I needed a ride -- took my plates off my old car for the Tesla. They unlocked it from their laptop and popped the hatch so it was easy for me to find. I didn't even have to ask to look inside. They told me to take all the time I need to inspect, then come back in to sign and get the keys.
2. There are zero issues. I used the Github checklist and only found one thing -- the left side camera wasn't clipped in all the way. They just fixed it right there.
3. The car was plugged in and had 85% charge with the charge limit set to 90%
4. I had to do a software update when I got home - I guess they just released new firmware. Took about 30 minutes.
5. Car is great. The 20" tires are awesome (except for the $2k) and the suspension is smooth as butter. I'm coming from a Lexus IS, so anything is an improvement, really. Zero rattles, no wind noise on the highway.

I am thrilled with the car so far -- I have it charging on 110 in the garage until my electrician comes out to install the 220. Let me know if you have any questions!

And shoutout to @dion009 for the moral support as we figured out wtf was going on with our original orders!! Cheers! :)

View attachment 915076

Alright all -- here she is! Originally had an OD of 2/9 for a MYAWD W/B 19"... never got an EDD, kept saying "TBD", so like @dion009, I found one in inventory and called my SA to have the VIN assigned to my order. Picked it up today...

1. I arrived an hour early because I needed a ride -- took my plates off my old car for the Tesla. They unlocked it from their laptop and popped the hatch so it was easy for me to find. I didn't even have to ask to look inside. They told me to take all the time I need to inspect, then come back in to sign and get the keys.
2. There are zero issues. I used the Github checklist and only found one thing -- the left side camera wasn't clipped in all the way. They just fixed it right there.
4. I had to do a software update when I got home - I guess they just released new firmware. Took about 30 minutes.
5. Car is great. The 20" tires are awesome (except for the $2k) and the suspension is smooth as butter. I'm coming from a Lexus IS, so anything is an improvement, really. Zero rattles, no wind noise on the highway.

I am thrilled with the car so far -- I have it charging on 110 in the garage until my electrician comes out to install the 220. Let me know if you have any questions!

And shoutout to @dion009 for the moral support as we figured out wtf was going on with our original orders!! Cheers! :)
Dumb question but how do you call your SA? I only text.

View attachment 915076

Congrats! Hows the ride quality?!

Reactions: Alex425
View attachment 915076

What was your quote for the 220? Someone quoted me 2,300 so I did it myself lol.

View attachment 915076

Congratulations 🎉 love the color. Man it was quiet a journey of uncertainty for almost a month. Finally we have our Tesla 👏👏👏.
Wish and pray every one waiting here gets theirs too soon. I would recommend everyone in EDD TBD situation to get it from inventory than waiting. TBD as per Tesla is we are not going to make it you can get another one.