TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Buying a Model S in Western Australia

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by TrickyDicky, Jan 28, 2017.

1. TrickyDicky

TrickyDicky New Member

Hi all, I'm seriously looking at buying a 2015 Model S 85D in the next couple of weeks from a private seller, is there anyone that can help with:

1) What support there is in Perth from Tesla.
    2) A good insurance company that doesn't charge an absolute fortune.
    3) What warranty I should make sure that comes with the car.
    4) Any other issues anyone else has had with owning a Tesla in WA? (aside from the complete lack of Superchargers!!)

Any help gratefully received!

Richard

2. reecho

reecho Member

1) . Tesla now have an Asset Lite and Ranger dedicated to WA. Service centre is a shared facility in Bibra Lake and will be operational very shortly. Body and paint is looked after by MacCarthy's Panel & Paint.
    2) . RAC give 25% discount for low emission vehicles for WA owners.
    3) . Balance of any warranties etc??.
    4) . I will leave that for current owners to respond. Not a lot to report apart from a couple of drivetrain replacements...

3. Blue heaven

Blue heaven Member

I fully agree with everything Reecho has to say above although he forget to add you should meet up with the AEVA guys to get handy tips on EVs in WA.

4. raynewman

raynewman Member

For insurance YOUI isn't too bad. I have a 85 and pay <$800 pa - in Brisbane.
    Your warranty (8 years unlimited on drive train and battery and 4 years/80,000 km on the rest) goes with the car.

5. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

If I lived in WA I would also order a CHADEMO adaptor for your Model S so you can take advantage of the RACWA Electric Highway.

• Informative x 1
  6. TrickyDicky

TrickyDicky New Member

Brilliant, thanks everyone for the useful advice. Thanks Reecho for that heads up about the Bibra Lake facility, support Ranger and the RAC, that's really good to know and I'll also see what sort of an insurance deal the RAC can give me. I didn't know about their electric highway either so thanks meloccom, I'll definitely invest in one of those.

Thanks raynewman for the pointer towards YOUI, I'll check them out too. My question about the warranty was that I've heard the original buyer could purchase an additional 4 year extended warranty, making it a total of 8 years for the drivetrain, battery and everything else. Or is that just Stateside?

I thought the drivetrain replacement issues were mostly on early models, but I guess it could happen to any of them so that's worth bearing in mind.

Thanks Blue Heaven for the pointer to AEVA, I'm checking them out now.

The car I'm looking at is in Victoria so I've got the added complication of buying it unseen and getting it transported to Perth. The guy seems really straight up but it's a much bigger risk. Does anyone know if Tesla offer an inspection service so they can give me a detailed report of any issues?

Getting it transported is another aspect I've not even done more than a cursory look at so far, but I'm guessing that'll be around $1000.

• Like x 2
  7. RichardMcN

RichardMcN Member

Why don't you drive it to Perth @TrickyDicky . There is a string of charging points if you get a 3 phase adapter, and the Nullarbor is a lovely drive in a Tesla. See plugshare.com for locations. App too.

8. TrickyDicky

TrickyDicky New Member

I definitely would if I had the time, I've driven it before in other vehicles and it is a really nice drive. The problem is I've just started a new job and don't have any time to do it. It's a shame as that was my original plan.

9. RichardMcN

RichardMcN Member

Pity !

10. raynewman

raynewman Member

Want a driver?

• Like x 3
  11. eclectricdave

eclectricdave Member

As well as raynewman I offer my services to drive your car to Perth. Im in Melb and have an 85D. All I ask for is return airfare and expenses. I can look at the car for you as well.