Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying from New Hampshire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMHO, this is the worst possible time of year to sign up for a third party supply contract, especially one with a with an ETF.

The fact that natural gas prices are already falling from their anomalous high prices only makes the decision worse.
In NH you must pay a DELIVERY charge to your utility which IS REGULATED. On my December 2022 Eversource bill I paid a flat $13.81 customer charge, plus 8.952¢/kWh in Delivery fees. If you don't do anything, you will also pay the default SUPPLY rate for your utility. Eversource solicits wholesale electricity supply bids for a six month period, those bids determine Eversource's default rate. Eversource is not supposed to make any money on SUPPLY, only on DELIVERY. You also have the option of contracting with a third party for your SUPPLY. Regardless of who SUPPLIES your power, your utility still delivers your power, reads your meter, and with most suppliers bills you for both the DELIVERY and SUPPLY used.

IMHO the best time of year to sign up for a third party supply contract is shortly after your utility has announced their next default rate. In the case of Eversource the current default rate went into effect on February 1st, 2023. The next rate will become public knowledge in July, and go into effect on August 1st.

When I researched available rates in the middle of January, see: Shop
The default Utility Rates (shown at top of page after select Residential and specify the Utility) where:
Eversource then current rate 22.566¢, future Feb 1 - Aug 1, 2023 rate 20.221¢
Liberty then current rate 22.228¢, future rate not shown.
NH Electric Co-op then current rate 16.983¢, future rate 13.783¢
Unitil current rate 25.925¢ through July 2023

Whether signing up for a third party supply contract now makes sense depends heavily on the RATE and TERM of the contract. My utility is Eversource. I know that Eversource's rate will be 20.221¢ for the six months starting February 1, 2023. Two weeks ago I signed up for a 10 month plan at 16.79 cents which will take affect at my next meter read. That is mathematically certain to save me 3.431¢/kWh until August 1st compared to doing nothing.

I could have signed with a different company offering a 14.99¢ rate for five months to new customers. However, I didn't like their flat $100 termination fee, or the very high variable rate they were charging compared to other suppliers. At the end of your fixed rate term, you are generally automatically changed to the supplier's variable rate, until you pick a new contract, and then wait a few days for bureaucracy, and then wait for your meter to be read. Some suppliers appear to offer variable rates close to their fixed rate, so spending time on their variable rate is not a problem. However, other suppliers appear to make most of their money from customers who take a lost leader, and then never get around to selecting a replacement plan.

So yes @tga, Eversource's default rate for the August 2023 - January 2024 time period might drop massively. The third party supply contracts offered might drop even sooner. On the other hand world and NH energy prices are very uncertain right now. Will the world slip into recession? How much gas will Russia sell? What inflation will we see over the next months? Will any major New England power stations unexpectedly go offline? IMHO it is certainly possible that instead of going down, NH residential rates could go up, or stay about the same.

In the case of my contract, if Eversource's default rate drops massively for August-January, I can pay a $10 per month remaining early termination fee and switch. In theory I could also switch to someone else even sooner, but I know I won't follow the energy market that closely.

I just wish I was served by the NH Electric Co-op which seems to have much better rates. They are also the only utility in NH that I know of offering EV related rebates, as was previously mentioned in Buying from New Hampshire Unfortunately, the costs of selling my house and moving would totally swamp my savings on electricity.

From what I have read, if one buys in Massachusetts you have to pay their sales tax. EV’s are reportedly exempt from NJ sales tax.
Even if you have it shipped to your home, it still comes from NJ. I'm arguing with them because they said cars that go to MA come with mudflaps and rear PPF, but because my car goes to NJ it will not, even though the actual delivery location is in NH. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

Reactions: Tdreamer
Even if you have it shipped to your home, it still comes from NJ. I'm arguing with them because they said cars that go to MA come with mudflaps and rear PPF, but because my car goes to NJ it will not, even though the actual delivery location is in NH. Doesn't make a lot of sense.
My only point was to avoid a sales tax by either picking up in, or having it shipped, from Jersey.

Reactions: kayak1
Here's what worked for us last August. Get your mudflap/PPF request documented. A Tesla sales advisor will ask you to use your phone app to put in a service request right after taking delivery. Although we did drive 50 minutes to Peabody, it only took them an hour to do these jobs. The MYP came out perfect and they also buffed out a couple light scratches in the clearcoat......If you're thinking of requesting this work be done by a mobile service tech, they will not install the PPF. Was told that when doing PPF installs in the field they've seen some less than great results. No control issues installing in the shop.

In NH you must pay a DELIVERY charge to your utility which IS REGULATED. On my December 2022 Eversource bill I paid a flat $13.81 customer charge, plus 8.952¢/kWh in Delivery fees. If you don't do anything, you will also pay the default SUPPLY rate for your utility. Eversource solicits wholesale electricity supply bids for a six month period, those bids determine Eversource's default rate. Eversource is not supposed to make any money on SUPPLY, only on DELIVERY. You also have the option of contracting with a third party for your SUPPLY. Regardless of who SUPPLIES your power, your utility still delivers your power, reads your meter, and with most suppliers bills you for both the DELIVERY and SUPPLY used.

OK, I stand corrected. I thought Eversource rate were set in Mar or Apr, not Feb. Some of the short term rates from alternate suppliers are worth looking at.

When I explain this to people, I prefer to use "delivery" and "generation". Yes, Eversource uses "delivery" and "supply", but people seem to get confused on what "supply" means and how it differs from "delivery"

OK, I stand corrected. I thought Eversource rate were set in Mar or Apr, not Feb. Some of the short term rates from alternate suppliers are worth looking at.

When I explain this to people, I prefer to use "delivery" and "generation". Yes, Eversource uses "delivery" and "supply", but people seem to get confused on what "supply" means and how it differs from "delivery"
Individuals new to the terms certainly need to have them explained.

However, the terms SUPPLY and SUPPLIER appear to be the preferred terminology. Probably because your energy Supplier does not necessarily GENERATE electricity. Eversource requests supply bids for their default SUPPLY rate; Eversource does not generate that electricity. The company I contracted with is also a reseller, not a generator of electricity. While a generator of electricity can also be your supplier, a supplier is not necessarily a generator.

Nor is the terminology unique to NH, much less Eversource. A quick Google search found examples at .gov websites for NH, MA, ME, and NJ:

I did end up asking about pick up in Latham (Albany) NY. the response was no. Paramus NJ is 'best equipped for additional volume'. Mt Kisco was also mentioned as a NY site - but Paramus is better for them.

I strongly suspect I'll pay the $750 (for me) fee. beats driving the ~4hrs and well over 200 miles one way
well, got offered a pickup date in NJ, more or less as expected. And, after doing the math, ($750 vs 2 people with each a ~10hr day, plus three drives in the 220mile range (one down, two back)), I've asked for the carrier direct option.
now dealing with tesla insisting on insurance showing my VIN even though my insurance automatically covers new cars during an initial period -- plus the fact NH doesn't actually require insurance...

well, got offered a pickup date in NJ, more or less as expected. And, after doing the math, ($750 vs 2 people with each a ~10hr day, plus three drives in the 220mile range (one down, two back)), I've asked for the carrier direct option.
now dealing with tesla insisting on insurance showing my VIN even though my insurance automatically covers new cars during an initial period -- plus the fact NH doesn't actually require insurance...
Did they offer a one-way rental car for the trip to NJ?

if 'they' is Tesla, then, No. No offer was made to help me get to NJ from NH. I looked into renting on my own, but decided the ~$100 plus gas plus needing to get the ~2miles from rental return to tesla made it unattractive.
When I picked up my car, Tesla provided me a free Rental with Enterprise, I had to get a ride to pick up the rental, the night before my trip. I then drove down and returned the rental. Enterprise gave me a ride to the Tesla location.

Was curious to hear from anyone living in New Hampshire who has recently purchased a Tesla and what delivery options were available. 4 years ago, I was able to have my Model 3 delivered straight to my home in NH. It was easy, convenient, and was done at no additional fee. It seems like things have gotten more complicated since then and I can't seem to get a straight answer, even from Tesla after reaching out via chat.

I understand we can NOT take delivery in Massachusetts without paying MA sales tax. Alternatively, I believe we CAN pick up in NJ or NY (without paying tax?) and temporary tags are issued. But are home delivery options still available and is there an additional fee (in addition to the standard transportation fee)? Any input would be appreciated. I was originally going to wait until Tesla's first NH sales center opens to get my next Tesla, but recent price drops and tax credits are changing my mind. ;)
Delivery for $750 as of q1 2023

Fun fact - As explained by a NH trooper on the side of road, NH does not honor out of state temp plates when driven by a NH resident; it is considered an unregistered vehicle at that point. So try not to get stopped on the way home in NH.
Any chance you have a citation source (other than word of mouth from the trooper) on that 'fun fact'? I've got my new tesla with NJ (out of state buyer) temp plates in my driveway...

the NH DVM is not explicit:

I could see how it could be interpreted both ways.
I reread the RSA and the website and I think it's legal to use the NJ out of state temp plates in NH (despite the trooper's explanation). I also reached out to my telsa advisor and he (alex) asserted the NJ temp plates are legal to use.

Last edited:
Reactions: kayak1
Last summer we drove our Y in NH for a month with a NJ issued paper plate. I'm sure that many others see them frequently around the state. Haven't heard of anyone having a problem. FWIW I found a few useful statements on the official website of the NJ Motor Vehicle Commission.

You purchase a vehicle in New Jersey; and you plan to transport the vehicle to your home state, you must get a temporary New Jersey registration in order to drive the vehicle while in New Jersey or to transfer it outside NJ state lines.

You will be issued a 30-day temporary non-resident registration that cannot be renewed.

Temporary registrations are only valid for use in the continental United States.

Any chance you have a citation source (other than word of mouth from the trooper) on that 'fun fact'? I've got my new tesla with NJ (out of state buyer) temp plates in my driveway...

the NH DVM is not explicit:

I could see how it could be interpreted both ways.
I reread the RSA and the website and I think it's legal to use the NJ out of state temp plates in NH (despite the trooper's explanation). I also reached out to my telsa advisor and he (alex) asserted the NJ temp plates are legal to use.
Nothing to back it up. Like you, I tried to read the RSA's and couldn't tell one way or the other. Personally, I'd drive the car home and get a NH plate (temp or permanent) ASAP.