Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA hov white stickers exp 1/1/19

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
“Cleaner Cars from Cradle to Grave
– How Electric Cars Beat Gasoline Cars on Lifetime Global Warming Emissions”

http://www.ucsusa.org/sites/default...ner-Cars-from-Cradle-to-Grave-full-report.pdf
interesting report - very little data lots of conclusions and ZERO facts from environment damage including CO2 emissions from mining lithium. No a single contribution to CO2 from large diesel truck miniing lithium for batteries, transporting lithium or the energy required to smelt it. . . . \\

You guys can disagree with me all you want - but - it takesm ore CO2 to build every component of an electric car - there is little over all CO2 savings.

• Disagree
Reactions: liuping and Viking1
interesting report - very little data lots of conclusions and ZERO facts from environment damage including CO2 emissions from mining lithium. No a single contribution to CO2 from large diesel truck miniing lithium for batteries, transporting lithium or the energy required to smelt it. . . . \\

You guys can disagree with me all you want - but - it takesm ore CO2 to build every component of an electric car - there is little over all CO2 savings.

Whereas, of course, the parts of an ICE car drop magically out of the sky, producing 0 emissions and ready to be assembled. It really is too bad that EV manufacturers have been unable to tap into the magic force(or MF) that ICE manufacturers have been able to use so successfully.

Reactions: ucmndd and gaswalla
I have a 2015/MS. I never got around to registering for a sticker (though I'll admit I use the HOV daily; CHP just zips by me and all the other EV's).

Even though I bought the car in 2015, would registering for a sticker now in 2017 allow it to be used through 2022?

I have a New Blue Model S. I hate being required to put on the WHITE Stickers multiple places on my car. I do not commute for work (work at home) so I don't find myself alone in the car pool lane that often.
I have had two non Tesla cars with carpool access and I can't stand any stickers, so I went to craft store and bought a full sheet of thin magnet and stuck stickers on it cut them out and now I had removable stickers! Problem is they don't stick to Aluminum!!! Still trying to figure a way to attach and easy removal especially when the deal is long gone. Thought maybe using Xpel to cover without removing backing from sticker but not sure if it would work or worth the expense of the Xpel??

Governor Brown just screwed electric car owners who bought their cars before 1/1/17 and have been issued the white hov stickers. The new bill (AB544) he signed on 10/10/17 does not extend our white stickers, but will expire on 1/1/19. Owners who are issued stickers after 1/1/17 gets an extension until 1/1/2022.
Maybe they are thinking 5 year pass then your out!!! 2012-2017 2017-2022

Maybe they are thinking 5 year pass then your out!!! 2012-2017 2017-2022
that's probably true - must buy new in order to stay in the lane - yet another 'tax' on people in California.

Don't expand the roads to cover the expanding population, create pay as you go lanes and car pool lanes and require you to pay to play there too.

Don't they realize that this excludes poor people from using the lanes? It's not very progressive.

Reactions: MIT_S60
What about if I was in a wreck and need to apply for "new" stickers since mine were taken as a result of a bumper replacement?
If you read the DMV website . . . or the form or the instructions - you will know there is procedure.

You need to carefully instruct your body shop on repair of a bumper if it possible to preserve the sticker. My wife has a crack in her B class bumper from being tapped on the freeway - and I had a long chat with the body shop manager who wanted to do it easy and just repaint the whole thing - and I said no - preserve the sticker. . . .

You thought I'd asked them to save Baby Jesus from the Romans.

• Funny
Reactions: bnsfengineer
If you read the DMV website . . . or the form or the instructions - you will know there is procedure.

You need to carefully instruct your body shop on repair of a bumper if it possible to preserve the sticker. My wife has a crack in her B class bumper from being tapped on the freeway - and I had a long chat with the body shop manager who wanted to do it easy and just repaint the whole thing - and I said no - preserve the sticker. . . .

You thought I'd asked them to save Baby Jesus from the Romans.

I know I need to reapply, there is a form. I actually have it here, just been lazy... CHP doesn't seem to care I dont have a sticker and toll cams are tied to my plate/reg anyway. So in a way that answers my question sorta, but I'm just not 100% sure.

If its at time of reg, couldn't I "sell" it to my gf out of state, and re-reg instate?

Anybody try to remove a white decal? Does it peel the paint? Any body try to just keep the glove box until you get pulled over and then what happens? I will very seldom need it an really hate to put them on the body of the car. Maybe stick them in the WINDOW?

This is what I do instead, i make a copy f the stickers and use a self adhesive plastic laminate sheet like here The Great HOV Sticker Hack (making your HOV stickers removable)

• Helpful
Reactions: bnsfengineer
Actually no. They are not. It's relevant to when the vehicle was registered - not when the sticker was applied for.

A decal, label, or other identifier issued pursuant to paragraph (1) or (3) on or after January 1, 2019, for a vehicle that had been issued a decal, label, or other identifier pursuant to paragraph (1) or (3) between January 1, 2017, and January 1, 2019, is valid until January 1, 2022.

I haven't read the entire bill, however it would seem from the above language; it's when the decal was issued, not when the car was registered. Though it seems you need to re-apply for it.

Reactions: MIT_S60
That will be amazing if this was tied to issue date. I purchased on 12/2016, but got decal on 2/2017. The primary purpose of the bill is to accommodate Model 3 owners to use HOV lane without clogging them. Actually, if 100K Model 3 owners start driving on HOV lane, it won't be a HOV lane anymore anyways

I'm reading the bill the same as aaron0k. The expiration of the decal is tied to when it was issued not when the vehicle was registered.
I am wrong - you are all correct. The ISSUE date is relevant = the assumption is that everyone runs out and gets their sticker immediately . . . .

The sticker TRACKS the vehicle however - so you cannot straw man a transaction to someone else - and extend the sticker issuance date -

Reactions: xanatos