Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin noise in model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I emailed RPM Tesla after finishing up the noise reduction kit this weekend. I told them the A pillar strips were over an inch short (both sides), the front door strips were over an inch short (both sides), the rear doors bottom 90 bends bunch up as the seal is just straight, no bend, and the strip under the rear hatch lip is too short, not extending the full length of the sealing surface (approx. 4 inches total). I attached pic's and asked them how they could make it right.

If you watch the install video's they have posted one is a full install on an M3 and the one for the MY is basically a quick overview where they don't actually install the strips but show you where they go. Perhaps if they'd tried installing them they'd have noticed the MY is different from the M3 and adjusted the strips accordingly.

So far I've not heard a peep from RPM Tesla, no response at all. Take from this what you will.....

So I emailed RPM Tesla after finishing up the noise reduction kit this weekend. I told them the A pillar strips were over an inch short (both sides), the front door strips were over an inch short (both sides), the rear doors bottom 90 bends bunch up as the seal is just straight, no bend, and the strip under the rear hatch lip is too short, not extending the full length of the sealing surface (approx. 4 inches total). I attached pic's and asked them how they could make it right.

If you watch the install video's they have posted one is a full install on an M3 and the one for the MY is basically a quick overview where they don't actually install the strips but show you where they go. Perhaps if they'd tried installing them they'd have noticed the MY is different from the M3 and adjusted the strips accordingly.

So far I've not heard a peep from RPM Tesla, no response at all. Take from this what you will.....

Update: RPM Tesla just called and we're good. Apparently I received a kit which their supplier didn't cut correctly for the A pillar and front door seals and the rear door seals they install without taking the edge and 90 degree bend. I recommend checking the length before you glue the seals down to be safe and ensure you watch the install videos. (MY version shows full install I’m told so not sure how I missed that) Not sure on the noise reduction yet as I need to drive more but should work well on keeping the water/dust out of the door jambs which was my main goal. It worked well on my M3 for that. :)

Last edited:
Not sure on the noise reduction yet as I need to drive more but should work well on keeping the water/dust out of the door jambs which was my main goal. It worked well on my M3 for that. :)
I remember someone posted about how terrible the MY was on dirt roads because of intrusion. His car did look terrible in the door sills and past the seal.

We took a trip down about 12 miles of rutted dirt road and the car was a disaster on the outside. I was expecting the worst when I looked at each door sill. Absolutely nothing past the seals, so dust pretty was limited to inside portion of the running board. Between that test and a high power touchless car wash, at least this MY is tight. o_O

Reactions: Dennisis
LR/AWD/19" Model Y
Only drove a Turo M3 once.

I find my MY to be very boomy, I feel like I’m driving inside a 90s subwoofer cabinet. Maybe it’s the carpeted wood over the rear stowage compartments; kind of a sub cabinet build.

I completely agree with this, my 08/20 Model Y with Gemini's has loud low frequency boominess over any slight road imperfection. My 04/19 Model 3 with 18" Aero's never had this and was significantly quieter and better handling on the road. The Model Y with Gemini's feels bouncey and squirrelly on freshly paved roads as well. Personally I think it's the Continental's and can't wait to get my Winter tires / rims installed to see if they make a difference.

I was surprised to find on my test drive that the 11/20 MY w/ Gemini’s and laminated windows was just as loud as my 6/18 M3 w/ 19” wheels. There was a slight reduction in wind noise but my decibel readings over the same roads were the same. I was disappointed to find no noticeable improvement in cabin noise.

Last edited:
I think the Model Y is overall pretty good on cabin noise, one thing my wife complains about though is when my little kids are in the back they sound louder then her car, probably because of the roof and it just reflecting sounds much easier.. less absorption inside. I assume this goes for any sounds you hear. The cabin in general will just make things seem louder then normal because of that, whether its wind noise or bumps etc.. Still, I love driving it, I find it quiet and relaxing for my liking.

My PUP MY is definitely louder than my old Range Rover Evoque..

There seems to be quite a bit of wind noise.. even though the doors seem to be seated correctly.

I’ve also installed the roof rack which does add a high pitched whistle at certain speeds.

• Informative
Reactions: Celeritas
If this means anything.... (2021 model/non-laminated windows, mid October build date, 19" wheels) I purchased the RPM Tesla noise reduction kit before the car was delivered, but upon using the car (at up to 115mph) it's quiet enough that I don't plan to install the kit because there is no area with sound leaks. I had a friend drive with me yesterday he has a Chevy Bolt (same car I had before the MY) and he also noted how much more quiet the MY is vs. the Bolt.

• Informative
Reactions: Celeritas
I find my 62XXX 2021 Model Y to be very boomy when going over road imperfections! I drove the Y at 35MPH with no radio and ran a spectrum analyzer app.

upload_2020-12-17_17-57-38.png

I think the Model Y is overall pretty good on cabin noise, one thing my wife complains about though is when my little kids are in the back they sound louder then her car, probably because of the roof and it just reflecting sounds much easier.. less absorption inside. I assume this goes for any sounds you hear. The cabin in general will just make things seem louder then normal because of that, whether its wind noise or bumps etc.. Still, I love driving it, I find it quiet and relaxing for my liking.

I think you're onto something with this analysis. A padded roof liner not only absorbs wind noise (over the cabin) but keeps interior sound from reflecting off the very large ceiling surface.