Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Noise in Refresh Model X 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2021 Model Y is MUCH quieter than my 2022 (refreshed) Model X Plaid. I can hear every bit of road noise from the driver side, the wheels on the pavement, road noise, other vehicles, etc. The Model Y is really quiet...I'm not sure what is going on here but for the price I paid for the MX I would have thought the quality, comfort and noise reduction would be better but I guess not. I enjoy driving my Model Y much more than the Model X.

Reactions: sagax
Guys! Some guy posted a hint on facebook about the seals near the triangle window thats an issue with the Tesla X refresh. I found some old seals and put them where he said, i swear my car is now 70% quieter and even enjoyable now! you got to try it
It worked for me! I would say my tesla is now as quiet as most other cars. I dont have annoying wind noise, or cars driving by irritating me! Seal engineers need to be fired.

Attachments

• 336649027_232944199108779_490874369346989338_n.jpg
    336649027_232944199108779_490874369346989338_n.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 261
Guys! Some guy posted a hint on facebook about the seals near the triangle window thats an issue with the Tesla X refresh. I found some old seals and put them where he said, i swear my car is now 70% quieter and even enjoyable now! you got to try it
It worked for me! I would say my tesla is now as quiet as most other cars. I dont have annoying wind noise, or cars driving by irritating me! Seal engineers need to be fired.

Ok it worked for about 2 weeks, now my car is all noisy and back to the way it was before :(

I dowloaded a DB (decibel meter) to my iPhone and recorded the wind noise at 65, 70 and 75 mph
These were my reading that I sent to Tesla Service center using the Tesla app
They agreed that the DB levels were high and I took the car in
The Tesla Tech got in the passenger seat, I drove he listened and identified where the wind noise was come from and the problem was fixed
I can do this test with my 2019 M3 and get 72-74 at these speeds....

Did anyone notice the "buffeting"? Kinda like a low-frequency pressure sensation to your ears?
I think I have that in my MXP and I tried to fix it by following this gentleman's method,
, It didn't seem to for me.
Also, I saw this gentleman's video went into great detail about resolving maybe the same issue on his MY,

Purchased my 2022 Model X Plaid at the end of December 2022. It is a Freemont build in August with quality throughout.

I also own a 2021 Model Y Long Range but I find it to be much quieter than the MX. When I drive the MX the road noise is so loud from my drivers door that I can hear the wheels on the roadway through the door as well as every other vehicle I pass on the roadway.

Unfortunately for me, I live in a remote area with no service center to take it to. I suspect the drivers door is somehow not fully latching or there is some adjustment to the hinges (perhaps?). Regardless, my MY (with winter tires) is MUCH quieter than my 2022 MX Plaid with OEM all season tires. By comparison, the MY handles much better too...if Tesla ever updates the MY interior and dresses it up a bit (to mimic the Model S) they will have the perfect car (IMHO)...they finally updated the suspension on the MY...about time.
I was so interested in buying X, after test driving it, I had similar experience like you, Y with 19 inch wheels is much quieter than X with 20 inch wheels.

Wireless earpiece !! Do they still even make those !!! That’s ridiculous.

Big difference between 2018 X and 2019 Raven X. Cabin on 2019 X wasn’t bad, but phone ANC was non existent.

I’ve had cars since 2010 that had phone ANC that worked fine. VW, Jeep etc.

There is just as much glass in an S as an X. It’s just where it ends up. If anything S has more glass because it doesn’t have the FWD that leave you with two very small areas of glass and all the structures to support the FWD. S just has one bar across where RVM and visors are and the entire rest, from hood to rear hatch, is glass. It’s massive. X has that same cross bar further back but after that it’s more metal than glass.

I suspect noise wise X cabin should be about the same. But for some reason ANC remains broken. S also has firmer suspension potentially coupling more tire noise in.

It sounds like your in a my living room for calls now. Can’t even tell I’m in the car driving 70mph. So does my friends Model Y. As it should be for any car over $20K these days.

Maybe it’s something to do with where mics are placed because of the X windshield.

Also if you paired your earpiece to a phone then the car can’t be paired which would lose messaging and other features.
I had a test drive in a new Model X not too long ago and was very disappointed by how noisy it was. The ride was rough as well. Considering all the good things I had heard about the improved suspension introduced with the Raven models and the improved cabin for the newest models S and X, I was severely disappointed. The new X was no better than my 2015 Model S with coil suspension (and the older Model S was notorious for lack of noise control).

I went from 2020 MS to 2023 MXP. Just pickup the MXP on 7/28 knowing/hearing that the new MXP supposes to be quiet.

Here is my experience: I used my Apple watch to measured the noise level on my MS and MXP at around same speed and on the same highway. I found the 2023 MXP is ~5db quieter then my 2020 MS on average. I hope this help.

• Informative
Reactions: David29 and Dayreg
I went from 2020 MS to 2023 MXP. Just pickup the MXP on 7/28 knowing/hearing that the new MXP supposes to be quiet.

Here is my experience: I used my Apple watch to measured the noise level on my MS and MXP at around same speed and on the same highway. I found the 2023 MXP is ~5db quieter then my 2020 MS on average. I hope this help.
Impressive. I wonder why the X I drove was so noisy. Were the two cars you tested on the same tire size, and were they 19 inch, 20s, or 21s?

I did the same to compare our 2020 Mercedes GLE450 and 2022 MXLR. The MX on 20" is +5db noisier than Mercedes with coil and 21".

I noticed my driver side window is not aligned well and closer to outer panel, leaving some gap from door seal. This causes wind noise on freeway like window is not fully closed. But the main contributor of noise is still from road.

I did the same to compare our 2020 Mercedes GLE450 and 2022 MXLR. The MX on 20" is +5db noisier than Mercedes with coil and 21".

I noticed my driver side window is not aligned well and closer to outer panel, leaving some gap from door seal. This causes wind noise on freeway like window is not fully closed. But the main contributor of noise is still from road.
I agreed, most of the noise is from the road. On different road surface, you will get different noise level. One is quieter than the other. That’s why I mentioned on the same road and highway on my comparison as reference point.

Anyone get a fix for the road noise intrusion, coming near the back of the top of the front doors? Take a small towel, roll it tightly, lay it on the top of the door crack where the window enters the door, move it back to the pillar while driving and press it tightly into the seal against the door and glass, and listen to how quiet the car becomes. Our passenger side is much louder than the driver side. Had the car to the SC and they really didn't correct this. All they did was have me drive a demo car they had to hear the same sounds. Really? Its ok for that much tire/road noise to intrude? I am thinking of taking off the door panel and figuring out where the air gap is, there has to be some open seal somewhere in the back part of the front doors.

• Informative
Reactions: jiehan and David29
From responses it seems like their is some variability in the quietness of these cars. Alternatively it could be that there is also some variability of the expectations of some of the owners as well.

Model X currently come with built in automatic noise cancellation. Some feel it does very little. Perhaps in the future a OTA update might make it more effective. I notice my 2022X is quieter in the front seats than in the rear seats (5 seater).

From responses it seems like their is some variability in the quietness of these cars. Alternatively it could be that there is also some variability of the expectations of some of the owners as well.

Model X currently come with built in automatic noise cancellation. Some feel it does very little. Perhaps in the future a OTA update might make it more effective. I notice my 2022X is quieter in the front seats than in the rear seats (5 seater).
I had a 2018 MX, this one overall is quieter. However there is a LOT of tire noise coming in on the passenger side near the rear of the bottom of the window. Placing a towel there silences it. There is a little coming in on the driver side. If you put your ear there while driving it sounds like an open path to the outside of the car. Something is not sealed correctly? Could it be the design? Maybe but it is annoying and when you are driving on wet roads sounds like you have you window partially open, the water noise is that obvious. Just curious if others have noticed this, and when I drove their demo car the towel trick works but that car was not nearly as loud.

Sounds like the door/window design has too much play. Or maybe the manufacturing tolerances are too loose. I attribute this sort of problem at least partly to Tesla's practice of building all their cars with frameless windows. I have railed against this poor design choice many times and consider it the single worst design flaw of my Model S. Cars with window frames provide much better sealing for the glass because of how the glass fits into the frame, and the doors themselves can then fit more tightly against the door frame, with good gaskets, giving a more solid feel and less noise.

Tesla did replace both outer window seals last time it was there. It seemed to help the level of intrusion but only was a week that it returned. I have the seals from the repair, nothing looks like there is an issue with them. I am planning to pull the door panel this weekend when it is raining and see if I can determine where the gap is. When driving on wet roads it sounds like the window is partially open, that is how loud it is.....I am determined to fix this since the service center wanted to show me that another car has the same issue. That is not how to take care of customers who have spent 100K+ for you car
Not to mention the 50' plus of felt tape I have installed so far on plastic trim pieces inside the car to help with the creaks and rattles. Part of me enjoys this because most times you see some type of reward but then again I feel like an idiot doing these things on my own trying to get the car to be livable

Sounds like the door/window design has too much play. Or maybe the manufacturing tolerances are too loose. I attribute this sort of problem at least partly to Tesla's practice of building all their cars with frameless windows. I have railed against this poor design choice many times and consider it the single worst design flaw of my Model S. Cars with window frames provide much better sealing for the glass because of how the glass fits into the frame, and the doors themselves can then fit more tightly against the door frame, with good gaskets, giving a more solid feel and less noise.
The other models have the same problems. I have a 22 M3 and the window wind noises are near impossible to get rid of. The frameless doors are definitely the beginning to all these troubles. It forces perfection on all the other gaskets and fitment. I've had the entire door gaskets replaced on both sides in front, still wind noises.