Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cadillac ELR (Converj)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to say that after seeing the ELR in person there is most definitely going to be a market for this car. It is simply the only small/mid size luxury "EV" that doesn't look "goofy" and conforms to the look that luxury car buyers want. Does it match up to the Model S? NO! BUT some people just have no desire to drive the full size car that is the behemoth Model S. Cadillac has loyalty within its brand and the ELR is a nice addition to their existing lineup. That doesn't mean that they'll sell more than a handful though.

there is a button called "Glove box" The text seems huge! Ahahahahahaha! I think that is so cute! oh man I can't stop giggling.

You'll giggle even more when you realize the large glowing Globe Box button only opens it... it doesn't close it (unlike the automatic cup holder cover). Seems like a waste of space to me, but I'm not sure what button would best replace it in that location.

Does it match up to the Model S? NO!

Depends on your criteria. If all you care about is acceleration, then you're correct. But if you want luxury features and sexy styling, the Model S is lacking in comparison.

You're perception of 'sexy styling' is subjective. In my experience, many more people think the S is sexier than the ELR. In fact, I've heard the ELR described as ugly and garish several times over. Never heard anyone say that about the S.

But those are just my data points.

Never heard anyone say that about the S.

Most people who mention the Model S to me almost always say they thought it was a Ford Fusion or Audi A7 until they took a second or third look. Granted, I've had people confuse my ELR with a CTS coupe. Not sure where you've "heard" the ELR is garish, but I haven't found a single review yet that says that. Found a lot that say the Model S is understated and looks like a Jaguar XF, which isn't necessarily a compliment.

Most people who mention the Model S to me almost always say they thought it was a Ford Fusion or Audi A7 until they took a second or third look. Granted, I've had people confuse my ELR with a CTS coupe. Not sure where you've "heard" the ELR is garish, but I haven't found a single review yet that says that. Found a lot that say the Model S is understated and looks like a Jaguar XF, which isn't necessarily a compliment.

Anybody who thinks the Model S looks like an XF, A7, or Fusion must be legally insane. They look almost nothing alike amongst even eachother, let alone a Model S. The ELR does look very similar to the CTS or ATS Coupes. Yes, if you have them side by side you can tell the difference, but that doesn't mean they aren't similar.

The Model S, I'd say, has a look that probably appeals to more people, while the ELR is beautiful to many, but is definitely more polarizing. It's a love it or hate it look. I can see how it'd appeal to many, but I personally don't care for it. I like the look of the CTS and ATS Sedans, but don't care for the Coupes, to include the ELR. I just don't feel the styling transfers well to 2-doors. That's just personal tastes though.

Anybody who thinks the Model S looks like an XF, A7, or Fusion must be legally insane.

The Fusion is a stretch, but I think the Model S looks a lot like the XF. In fact, when the S first came out and I was first trying to spot one on the roads, I would always have to look twice at the XF, especially from the rear (until you see the exhaust pipes). A co-worker of mine has an A7, and from the office window, they both do have a similar appearance. You can add the Panamera to the list of similar cars too, IMHO.

The Fusion is a stretch, but I think the Model S looks a lot like the XF. In fact, when the S first came out and I was first trying to spot one on the roads, I would always have to look twice at the XF, especially from the rear (until you see the exhaust pipes). A co-worker of mine has an A7, and from the office window, they both do have a similar appearance. You can add the Panamera to the list of similar cars too, IMHO.

2009-jaguar-xf-rear-and-side-1600x1200-64298.jpg

2013-Audi-A7-31.jpg

Sorry, I just don't see it. They're in a similar category, are a similar size, and I believe are all liftbacks, but the overall styling I think is quite a bit different.

Edit: Actually, per the picture I posted myself, the XF is clearly not a liftback.

View attachment 45338

View attachment 45339

Sorry, I just don't see it. They're in a similar category, are a similar size, and I believe are all liftbacks, but the overall styling I think is quite a bit different.

Edit: Actually, per the picture I posted myself, the XF is clearly not a liftback.

I disagree. The overall profile of the XF is pretty similar, though the proportions are different (the Tesla is a LOT wider, for one thing). I have also mistaken an XF in the wild for a Tesla on more than one occasion, though usually only out of the corner of my eye/in the dark.

I disagree. The overall profile of the XF is pretty similar, though the proportions are different (the Tesla is a LOT wider, for one thing). I have also mistaken an XF in the wild for a Tesla on more than one occasion, though usually only out of the corner of my eye/in the dark.

That's all I'm sayin'. Clearly side-by-side they're not the same, but to the uninitiated there is clearly a resemblance. My wife thinks the Honda Crosstour looks like our Model S!!

Honda-Crosstour-2013-1600-03.jpg

That's all I'm sayin'. Clearly side-by-side they're not the same, but to the uninitiated there is clearly a resemblance. My wife thinks the Honda Crosstour looks like our Model S!!

View attachment 45341

I get people constantly asking me about my "Maserati". I certainly see the A7 as a gasoline powered sibling in the looks department (not a twin, but a relative). Neither of those offend me in any way. I do think the XF is somewhat similar in the rear styling also.
Your wife needs a new glass prescription, or to pee in a cup and have it analyzed....:tongue:

BTW, another quick review:
2014 Cadillac ELR - Drive Notes - Road & Track

IMHO, Brian Cooley (the reviewer) is accurate with most of his review, but some of the snarkier comments are just him being a dick trying to convince the viewer that he's cool despite his age and nerd credentials:

"So what is the ELR? Well, it's a compact car; same class as a Honda Civic or VW Golf."

"While it is a sibling to the Chevy Volt, it's actually eleven inches longer; although you wouldn't know it judging by this stubby nose under that aluminum hood. The rest of the car seems to be a shrunken down CTS Coupe. Overall, the presentation's a little too much like a little bronze baby shoe. Do they still do that?"

"Now, under the stubby aluminum hood you've got basically a 'hotted' up Volt Voltec power system, here."

...and so on. I disagree with his initial assessment and conclusion, but everyone's entitled to his/her opinion...even when it's wrong. :wink:

Another quote: "The first thing I noticed in the ELR is the most atrocious brake pedal feel I've ever driven. It kinda comes on in two stages that are both kind of hard to modulate smoothly. The first one is just operating re-gen, it feels like; and then as you push further, then the service brakes kick in. But they kind of kick on like *that* (snaps) like they go over a notch. I mean, really awful." I've definitely driven in cars with worse braking, and I don't experience any problem at all with the ELR's braking, so I'm not sure what bent Brian so out of shape on that front.

In the review, Brian gets the acceleration wrong, stating that it's 7.9 seconds 0-60 without qualifying that the ELR can only achieve that in Extended Range Mode when the battery has been depleted by 12.0-12.5 kWh of charge. (The actual EV-only acceleration is 8.8 seconds.)

What I think is hilarious is that he complains about the 1.4L ICE when it engages halfway through his review, but you can't even hear it! He says the vibration from the ICE can be felt through the accelerator and steering wheel (which I do notice from time to time, so I have to agree with him on that a little), but seriously - you can't even hear it in the background when it engages. Frankly, you can barely hear anything in the background the car is so quiet! He doesn't even have to raise his voice to record his verbal review. (He does mention how quiet the car is before complaining about the ICE vibration, and sings the ELR's praises later on in regards to handling and luxurious driving.)

Later on, he says, "Now, my other gripe is it just doesn't feel that fast. On paper, [the ELR] is two seconds faster than a Nissan Leaf; it just doesn't feel like it to me for some reason. I've run it through Tour and Sport mode, and there's never a crisp sort of a 'get up and go' from the electric power that I've come to know in so many EVs. It's definitely - how would I say? - spritely, but that nice sharp kick in...I guess it's there...I don't know; I wasn't impressed by that." I have to agree with him on those points, too. Just the other day a $33k Honda Accord thoroughly smoked me off the line at a light - I never had a chance in my $79k ELR.

He dismisses the back seats like I used to do, but now that I've driven friends around on several occasions, I realize there's more room back there than it seems.

Brian also makes the same mistake that a lot of professional (and armchair) reviewers do, which is stating that the Tesla Model S is a less expensive car. If one builds a comparable Model S, it hits ~$88k (with some qualifications, of course, since it's not apples-to-apples).

His review of the C.U.E. system is spot on, as well as his jibes about the powered cup holder cover, glove box button, and lack of any hard knobs (like 'Volume') or high-use buttons (like 'Back'). I would have eviscerated the C.U.E. system even more had I been the reviewer, but I see from a Google search that a lot of Cadillac owners complain about C.U.E., so perhaps the dead horse has been beaten sufficiently on that front.

But when it comes down to it, I still love 90% of my ELR. Sure, the reverse camera sucks at night, but it's stellar during the day. And sure the C.U.E. system is buggy, sluggish, and unergonomic, but it's a heck of a lot better than the catastrophe found in the Fisker Karma or Rav4 EV! The driving experience, though not aggressive like a Model S, is serene, silent, and supremely luxurious. The audio system is aurally astounding (although not quite a Mark Levinson setup like you can get in the Lexus LS460), and the car - to me - is gorgeous all around, "stubby nose" and all!

Is it worth $76-84,000? As I've said before, if you can afford the ELR and it's the kind of car you want (2+2 coupe w/range extender), then it's 100% worth it. But if you need to stretch your finances to afford it, then go buy a Volt instead and breathe easy. The ELR is not worth breaking the bank for, whereas some might argue the Model S is worth going into debt since it's trending, brand new tech, and cool. I'm lucky that I got a fantastic lease deal that pretty much got me a $79k car for $60k, so perhaps I'm a bit biased due to the money I saved...

I still have no idea why you'd pay double for what is essentially a volt.
These two posts should answer your question, spentan:

Cadillac ELR (Converj) - Page 50

Cadillac ELR (Converj) - Page 51

But in case you don't want to click through, here's a synopsis:

Here's a list of everything I could think of in the ELR that you can't get on a Chevy Volt:

• Regen Paddles
  • Full-speed-range Adaptive Cruise Control
  • Side Blind Zone Alert
  • Rear Cross-Traffic Alert
  • superior high-end Bose 10-speaker sound system
  • LED headlamps, daytime running lamps, and taillamps
  • Interior accent lighting
  • Luxury front seats with 20 separate available adjustments
  • accented leather incorporating sueded microfiber, chrome, wood, and carbon fiber finishes
  • key fob tied to the driver's seat & mirror memory positions
  • C.U.E. Infotainment system
  • 20-inch Bridgestone Potenza RE97AS Eco 245/40 tires that provide superior traction
  • fully recalibrated and reprogrammed software for powertrain control systems
  • premium ZF electric power steering system
  • front HiPer Strut suspension
  • rear compound-crank with Watt’s link suspension
  • ZF-Sachs continuous damping control
  • 7.8 seconds from 0-60 in Extended Range (ER) mode
  • superior acceleration from 50-80 in EV mode (and even faster in ER mode)
  • an improved reverse camera
  • acoustically laminated windshield
  • thicker front-door glass
  • liquid-applied sound deadener applied to the floor pan, trunk and roof
  • triple-sealed doors with acoustic perimeter water deflectors
  • mass-efficient sound-absorbing dash mat and carpet system
  • acoustic foam baffles inside body cavities and in between inner and outer quarter panels
  • an isolated front suspension cradle with hydraulic powertrain mounts to isolate road and engine vibration
  • Bose active noise cancellation system
  • Power button moved far away from the Drive Mode button
  • Improved steering wheel controls
  • Heated steering wheel
  • One of the most distinctive, sexy exteriors of any car near its price range
  • And, of course, a powered cup holder cover!
That is why the ELR is twice as expensive as a Volt. If you go drive a Volt then drive an ELR, you'll see it's not even the same car. I'm not saying that much (if any) of the equipment is groundbreaking since most of it is available on other GM cars; but if people are willing to pay $40k for a fully-loaded 2014 Volt, then adding everything above to that at least brings one closer to accepting an $80k ELR that, with current lease incentives, only costs about $750/mo (compared to an $80k Lexus LS460 that costs $1,000/mo).

I think the Model S looks a lot like the XF. In fact, when the S first came out and I was first trying to spot one on the roads, I would always have to look twice at the XF, especially from the rear (until you see the exhaust pipes). A co-worker of mine has an A7, and from the office window, they both do have a similar appearance. You can add the Panamera to the list of similar cars too, IMHO.
I'm with mknox on this "insanity".