Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cadillac Super Cruise almost here - Motortrend drives it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it's important to add that this was done purposely by MB. They intentionally made it bad so people wouldn't have too much faith in it.

In does make sense to some degree. Of course everyone else went the other way with L2.

This is for their new 4.5 coming system they made that statement for i believe.

Doesnt excuse their other horriffic older versions

This is for their new 4.5 coming system they made that statement for i believe.

Doesnt excuse their other horriffic older versions

Without knowing the hardware/software under the hood I think it's impossible to know exactly which version it applies to. It could have been so bad that they didn't even need to dumb it down.

Nevertheless the logic of dumbing it down or purposely making the lane-steering component dumb makes sense to me.

Where AP1 was just good enough to be somewhat dangerous. At least to those that hadn't experienced things like trust lust or suddenly slowing down for no reason at all.

I'm really excited for supercruise even though its not L3. I am because it simply CAN'T HAVE truck lust. I'm also curious about what accidents will happen. With AP1 I noticed a pretty significant drop in my own situational awareness while driving. That resulted in a poorer scorecard of avoiding debris/potholes/etc.

If I was reviewing SuperCruise I wouldn't only review it, but I would review the drivers ability to handle unexpected situations while it was on. I imagine there will be a tradeoff where supercruise is safer despite the loss of situational awareness of the driver.

Reactions: RubberToe
Without knowing the hardware/software under the hood I think it's impossible to know exactly which version it applies to. It could have been so bad that they didn't even need to dumb it down.

Nevertheless the logic of dumbing it down or purposely making the lane-steering component dumb makes sense to me.

Where AP1 was just good enough to be somewhat dangerous. At least to those that hadn't experienced things like trust lust or suddenly slowing down for no reason at all.

I'm really excited for supercruise even though its not L3. I am because it simply CAN'T HAVE truck lust. I'm also curious about what accidents will happen. With AP1 I noticed a pretty significant drop in my own situational awareness while driving. That resulted in a poorer scorecard of avoiding debris/potholes/etc.

If I was reviewing SuperCruise I wouldn't only review it, but I would review the drivers ability to handle unexpected situations while it was on. I imagine there will be a tradeoff where supercruise is safer despite the loss of situational awareness of the driver.
Good post - I like your honesty. If we believe the numbers from NHTSA and Tesla then in fact AP1 was not dangerous at all - it resulted in 40% fewer accidents despite some obvious horrific exceptions. The Cadillac system will probably have numbers even better than that because of the way it nannies you and forces you to keep your eyes on the road - I wouldn't be surprised if a year from now Cadillac can boast of statistics saying that it cut the freeway accident rate when turned on by 90% or more.

Reactions: GSP
Good post - I like your honesty. If we believe the numbers from NHTSA and Tesla then in fact AP1 was not dangerous at all - it resulted in 40% fewer accidents despite some obvious horrific exceptions. The Cadillac system will probably have numbers even better than that because of the way it nannies you and forces you to keep your eyes on the road - I wouldn't be surprised if a year from now Cadillac can boast of statistics saying that it cut the freeway accident rate when turned on by 90% or more.
Remember it is only available on some specific divided highway. So if you have the ability to use it less and only use it on divided pre-mapped highway it likely is statistically better than AP1 or AP2 that work on a much larger variety of roads and situations. 2 lane, or rural, or suburb, or etc.

Highways only. The system only becomes available once you’ve entered a meticulously lidar-mapped, divided, limited-access highway in the U.S. or Canada

• Helpful
Price for Super Cruise? It's included as base equipment in the 2018 Platinum, which is now $500 more at $89,290. No gas guzzler tax. Highway mileage at 75-80 mph is about 25-27 mpg with the 404HP twin turbo engine and AWD/AWS and the larger wheels. All the Platinums apparently still come effectively loaded except for a few premium colors, and minor dealer installed crappola like a tiny spoiler, or rubber floor mats.

You CAN order Super Cruise with the Premium Luxury trim level but the price is not listed yet.

Definition of unhappy Cadillac Buyer? Somebody who took delivery of a 2018 already minus the Super Cruise since it was free.

• Informative
The price is suddenly finding yourself in a Cadillac, and realizing you need a gold chain to go with it. :p

The Cadillac is certainly more expensive to accessorize by a landslide. A nice gold chain is $25,000. Skipping driver's education, 2 rolls of 70% limo tint, and a fake UCLA Alumni plate frame is nothing, which makes accessorizing a BMW much cheaper. It pays to be white, that's for sure. :D

I think the eyes on road nanny is better than hands on wheel. For me, the worst aspect of Tesla hands on wheel isn't that you have to put your hands on wheel, but you actually have to jiggle the wheel for it to think your hands are there. The model 3 may have a better system, but I doubt Tesla would allow retrofit of anything. They just don't have the service capability to do so and is not aligned with selling more cars. Maybe they can have a similar effect by just greatly extending nag time when conditions are good.