Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI, I took delivery of my car on 9/23. Although I had not yet received my plates, I mailed in my application for HOV stickers on 9/30. DMV cashed my check on 10/18.

So it appears the DMV approved my application even though I didn't have my license plates at the time I applied. I was preparing to get a rejection letter and reapply...glad I won't have to.

You left the plate box empty on the application and they still processed it?

Yeah, after reading through a bit more of the forum there seem to be many threads indicating that if you send in your application after Tesla has registered the car with the DMV then the DMV will approve it without the plate # on your application.

• Informative
Reactions: jerjozwik
I am sure this may have been answered before but is there a way to get license plate # for CAV application prior to DMV mailing it on a new Tesla?
If Tesla really wanted to, they could get the information for you shortly after delivery. However, it's not necessary. As long as DMV receives your CAV application (with plate number blank) after the paperwork for the plates has been processed, they will know the plate number based on the VIN and will issue your stickers and certificate without delay. Many people have received the stickers and the plates during the same week with this method.

Yeah, after reading through a bit more of the forum there seem to be many threads indicating that if you send in your application after Tesla has registered the car with the DMV then the DMV will approve it without the plate # on your application.

How many days after you take delivery from Tesla will they have registered it? I'd like to get mine in sooner than later.

Just to clarify, you are speculating that there would be no NEW EVs with access to HOV after Jan 2019, right ? I am assuming that cars with existing stickers can still continue to use the Carpool lane ?

No, all white and green stickers expire in 2019. So no one will be able use them unless the program is extended

The state might decide the sticker program has met its goals to increase EV adoption just like they did with the yellow hybrid stickers back in the day. Like someone else said, they might come out with a new color sticker for hydrogen cars or some other new technology they are trying to promote.

The latest legislation that removed the cap from the Green Stickers had language requiring Caltrans to periodically evaluate the load that the HOV sticker program (and carpool cheating) was putting on the HOV lanes and its effect on overall traffic patterns on those freeways. One would hope that those evaluations would lead to sensible program modifications in the future.