Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone gotten ticketed because you taped your CA decals to the inside rear quarter panel windows, instead of the outside body panels?

I've noticed a number of Teslas that do this. I'm tempted to do this too. When I get my decals for my white 90D the'll be less noticeable than on other colors, but they are still FUGLY.

Has anyone gotten ticketed because you taped your CA decals to the inside rear quarter panel windows, instead of the outside body panels?

I've noticed a number of Teslas that do this. I'm tempted to do this too. When I get my decals for my white 90D the'll be less noticeable than on other colors, but they are still FUGLY.

I have mine taped, it's hard to see because of the dark tint - but haven't been pulled over yet. *KNOCKONWOOD

Boy, this subject has been rehashed so much over the years. The location taped inside the windows does not meet the code. Additionally unless the stickers are 'permanently' affixed they theoretically could be transferred to another vehicle, which violates the law. Thus you could be stopped and ticketed by CHP for either of these things. Unlikely--depends what your time and $$ are worth vs. the esthetics. As I have said before, I treat them as a badge of honor. Also it reduces the road rage factor from the cars stuck in the #2 lane.

...are we done yet???

Reactions: Moneesh
...are we done yet???
No. I am still looking for a temp solution that does not look like a temp solution. I don't drive the HOV lanes but every few weeks and would rather not have those ugly stickers on 24/7.

My ideal solution is one I could slap on for the day and remove after the trip. Sort of like one of those flexible refrigerator magnet cards.

No. I am still looking for a temp solution that does not look like a temp solution. I don't drive the HOV lanes but every few weeks and would rather not have those ugly stickers on 24/7.

My ideal solution is one I could slap on for the day and remove after the trip. Sort of like one of those flexible refrigerator magnet cards.
I mounted mine on removable clear vinyl stickers I purchased from Ebay here: 12" x 4" REMOVABLE VINYL BUMPER STICKER CAR PROTECTOR DECAL 2 pack. I have done this for both our Teslas and our plug in Prius, and have had no trouble removing them in between HOV lane uses. Plus, it's handy when there's bumper damage (we were rear-ended in the Prius a few weeks ago) and I just removed them before the body shop replaced the bumpers.

I mounted mine on removable clear vinyl stickers I purchased from Ebay here: 12" x 4" REMOVABLE VINYL BUMPER STICKER CAR PROTECTOR DECAL 2 pack. I have done this for both our Teslas and our plug in Prius, and have had no trouble removing them in between HOV lane uses. Plus, it's handy when there's bumper damage (we were rear-ended in the Prius a few weeks ago) and I just removed them before the body shop replaced the bumpers.
I use something like that too. While yours are "removable", does that truly mean "reusable"? I didn't see that on their listing.

Fortunately for me now, I have a white Tesla, and the stickers don't look so bad.

I ordered up a set. Thanks for the info

I use something like that too. While yours are "removable", does that truly mean "reusable"? I didn't see that on their listing.

Fortunately for me now, I have a white Tesla, and the stickers don't look so bad.
By re-usable I'm assuming you mean the ability to re-apply them repeatedly. Yes, they are, though I haven't removed and re-applied mine more than a dozen times.

Very interesting... But aren't you concerned that some stranger might take the carpool decals off?
^This. Although, I guess same goes for me. I have them on some 3M Scotchguard film, so they can be easily removed, though not so easily reapplied. If someone was to steal them, I'd have to reapply. They would have to know though, as mine are cut to size and it is not readily apparent that they are on a film.
Also, how do you store them when you are not using them? Just seems like more grief than it's worth.

My feeling when I lived in California was the CHP troopers are pretty smart, for example, mostly a$$hats got tickets. It could be they know what a Tesla looks like, and the stickers aren't that interesting to them? Next time you see one out in public, you might ask and report back? My guess is they also don't like wasting their time and giving Tesla owners funny stories to tell. lol

We'll see. All good questions.

Since I only commute in HOV lanes a few times a month, I don't need the stickers on all the time. I also don't park in places where they would most likely be stolen and as @4SUPER9 states, they would not be apparent to the person anyway. If they did get stolen I am out the $8 for a new set. Seems like the only person likely to steal them would be another Tesla owner and why bother. Now a vandal who just wants to cause trouble is another thing.

Have not thought about where to store them yet. Probably in the compartment in the trunk in a stiff folder.