Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, that was definitely informative. IANAL, but here's what it sounds like to me:

1. If your HOV sticker was issued before 1/1/2017, then it expires on 1/1/2019, period. No extension. (5205.5)(a)(4)
2. If your HOV sticker is issued between 1/1/2017 and 1/1/2019, then you'll get a new sticker valid until 1/1/2022. (5205.5)(a)(5)(B)
3. The new stickers will look different (i.e. not white) to distinguish them from the ones which expire 1/1/2019. (5205.5)(f)(3)

This part is interesting, although the rebate isn't currently funded.

(b) (1) The department shall not issue a decal, label, or other identifier to an applicant who has received a consumer rebate pursuant to the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project, established as part of the Air Quality Improvement Program pursuant to Article 3 (commencing with Section 44274) of Chapter 8.9 of Part 5 of Division 26 of the Health and Safety Code, for a vehicle purchased on or after January 1, 2018, unless the rebate was issued to a buyer whose annual income falls below one hundred fifty thousand dollars ($150,000) for a person who files a tax return as a single person, two hundred four thousand dollars ($204,000) for a person who files a tax return as a head of household, and three hundred thousand dollars ($300,000) for a person who files a joint tax return.

Reactions: Nosken

(b) (1) The department shall not issue a decal, label, or other identifier to an applicant who has received a consumer rebate pursuant to the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project, established as part of the Air Quality Improvement Program pursuant to Article 3 (commencing with Section 44274) of Chapter 8.9 of Part 5 of Division 26 of the Health and Safety Code, for a vehicle purchased on or after January 1, 2018, unless the rebate was issued to a buyer whose annual income falls below one hundred fifty thousand dollars ($150,000) for a person who files a tax return as a single person, two hundred four thousand dollars ($204,000) for a person who files a tax return as a head of household, and three hundred thousand dollars ($300,000) for a person who files a joint tax return.

So people who drive clean air vehicles earning over a certain amount who buy their car after 1/1/18 can't effectively drive solo in the car pool lane if this passes??

So people who drive clean air vehicles earning over a certain amount who buy their car after 1/1/18 can't effectively drive solo in the car pool lane if this passes??

The way I read it, as far as this bill is concerned high-earners could either receive the rebate or receive decals, but not both.

The language around those limits seems a little vague to me, though. The latest version specifies "gross annual income". But is that federal total income? Federal adjusted gross income? California adjusted gross income? Something else?

Just had a chance to review the bill. What's clear: anyone owning a MS/MX with a white sticker issued prior to 1/1/17 GOT SCREWED. Their HOV access ends 1/1/19, meaning some could have enjoyed the benefit for just two years. Contrast that to someone who buys this year: they get the white stickers that expire 1/1/19, and THEN get new stickers that expire in 1/1/22 (meaning at least four years of HOV access).

What pisses me off about this (and it's clearly to enhance NEW sales of EVs) is that when the yellow stickers were issued in 2005 for AT-PZEV hybrids, they were to expire in a couple of years, but through legislation were extended twice to ultimately end in 2011. Why they simply didn't make the white stickers valid till 1/1/22 makes NO sense. I'll be talking to my state senator and assemblyperson about new legislation in 2018 that fixes this stupidity and discrimination against those who (a) were early adopters and (b) contributed to cleaner air for the past few years.

Another thought: anyone buying a CPO may have a surprise if they purchase, apply for the HOV sticker and find out one had previously been issued and therefore their car isn't eligible.

Just had a chance to review the bill. What's clear: anyone owning a MS/MX with a white sticker issued prior to 1/1/17 GOT SCREWED. Their HOV access ends 1/1/19, meaning some could have enjoyed the benefit for just two years. Contrast that to someone who buys this year: they get the white stickers that expire 1/1/19, and THEN get new stickers that expire in 1/1/22 (meaning at least four years of HOV access).
What pisses me off about this (and it's clearly to enhance NEW sales of EVs) is that when the yellow stickers were issued in 2005 for AT-PZEV hybrids, they were to expire in a couple of years, but through legislation were extended twice to ultimately end in 2011. Why they simply didn't make the white stickers valid till 1/1/22 makes NO sense. I'll be talking to my state senator and assemblyperson about new legislation in 2018 that fixes this stupidity and discrimination against those who (a) were early adopters and (b) contributed to cleaner air for the past few years.

This is not good news ... Can the bill still be modified?
How do we organize a form letter campaign on line? :cool:

The way I read it, as far as this bill is concerned high-earners could either receive the rebate or receive decals, but not both.

The language around those limits seems a little vague to me, though. The latest version specifies "gross annual income". But is that federal total income? Federal adjusted gross income? California adjusted gross income? Something else?
I think this only comes into play for cars that received the rebate but did not apply for HOV decals. If the applicant doesn't currently meet the requirements of the CVRP program, decals will not be issued. A new buyer that exceeds the income requirements would not get the rebate, so they could get the decal. If you're in that situation, hurry up and apply before they change the application form to include the income requirement.

If you want clarification on the income requirements, go look at the CVRP Income Eligibility page.

CVRP just got funded via AB-134. Governor just signed it. Having said that, I still don’t understand adding income limitation since the CVRP program already put income limits on who can receive rebates.

I think this only comes into play for cars that received the rebate but did not apply for HOV decals. If the applicant doesn't currently meet the requirements of the CVRP program, decals will not be issued. A new buyer that exceeds the income requirements would not get the rebate, so they could get the decal. If you're in that situation, hurry up and apply before they change the application form to include the income requirement.

If you want clarification on the income requirements, go look at the CVRP Income Eligibility page.
That doesn’t make sense either—the language specifically refers to cars purchased after Jan 1, 2018. Again, not sure what adding this income eligibilty does since CVRP already takes care of it.

Does this mean that if I get a CPO vehicle soon here in California, I won't be able to get HOV stickers?
The answer is, "it depends." If the car previously was issued the HOV stickers, prior to January 1, 2017, those stickers will expire 1/1/19 and you cannot get new ones. If the prior owner didn't attach them and/or Tesla removed them, you might want to confirm with DMV Special Processing Unit that the VIN was never issued a sticker.

That said, if you qualify for initial stickers today, you'll get the current white ones, and new ones after 1/1/19 that expire 1/1/22.

The answer is, "it depends." If the car previously was issued the HOV stickers, prior to January 1, 2017, those stickers will expire 1/1/19 and you cannot get new ones. If the prior owner didn't attach them and/or Tesla removed them, you might want to confirm with DMV Special Processing Unit that the VIN was never issued a sticker.

That said, if you qualify for initial stickers today, you'll get the current white ones, and new ones after 1/1/19 that expire 1/1/22.
If the stickers were previously issued to the car, you can still get replacement stickers. I did this because one of our cars was rear-ended and the bumper cover was replaced. The replacements will expire 1/1/19 as usual. If the stickers were originally issued after 1/1/17 then you should also be able to get new ones that expire 1/1/22.

The way I see it, it has no appreciable affect in the Bay Area. I see reports of it being differently in LA. I see lots of cars that obviously should not be in HOV lanes yet they still are including myself (haven't put on stickers). Until they start enforcing HOV lanes it makes no difference. Same goes for front license plates and tinted front windows and windshield.

I guess if I ever get pulled over I'm in a world of hurt for all 3 offenses.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Looks like the new HOV bill has been passed. Wonder what color the new tickers will be. I'm currently driving without a sticker, but with this new law don't think I'll be able to avoid it. At least a white sticker is somewhat tolerable, having a bright color sticker is going to suck. Why can't they just change it to be on the license plate...

Bill Text - AB-544 Vehicles: high-occupancy vehicle lanes.

Reactions: Troy916
Looks like the new HOV bill has been passed. Wonder what color the new tickers will be. I'm currently driving without a sticker, but with this new law don't think I'll be able to avoid it. At least a white sticker is somewhat tolerable, having a bright color sticker is going to suck. Why can't they just change it to be on the license plate...

Bill Text - AB-544 Vehicles: high-occupancy vehicle lanes.

I agree ... and I am disappointed that they did not extend the existing white HOV decals beyond January 1, 2019.