Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Marginally on this topic: I saw something weird yesterday...a 4th generation Prius with white HOV stickers (rear and left side, didn't see the right side). There's no way in the world that could be legit, right?

Bruce.

I've seen cheaters since I moved to CA. Cars that are even Hybrid carrying HOVs or I've seen some ebay looking HOVs on a Tesla as well.

I usually take pictures of the vehicle with plate # to report when i see them especially while I am using AP.

Reactions: DoubleE
JPP

Hopefully I will be able to devise a easily removable solution so my "badge of honer" will only fly when necessary.

SDRick, did you devise anything to accomplish this yet? I was thinking of some type of plate with heavy duty magnets. BTW I heard the black market for all CA HOV stickers is super hot since the greens topped out. Sticker theft and illegal use of the whites are skyrocketing. Please post any methods you try. Thx.

It has been difficult to devise any aesthetically pleasing or magnetically removable method since I do not have a Tesla or the stickers yet. By the way, what you mean by "the greens topped out".

The green stickers for hybrids hit their cap in December and Gov Jerry & his Assembly have not reached agreement on whether to increase the issuance cap. For ex: a new Volt or Prius driver is shut out of HOV lanes. Watch how many HOV whites are not on qualified EVs nowadays. Disturbing. We really need a registered plate method like AZ and rid the sticker ugliness all around.

The green stickers for hybrids hit their cap in December and Gov Jerry & his Assembly have not reached agreement on whether to increase the issuance cap. For ex: a new Volt or Prius driver is shut out of HOV lanes. Watch how many HOV whites are not on qualified EVs nowadays. Disturbing. We really need a registered plate method like AZ and rid the sticker ugliness all around.

I don't know that Arizona is the model to follow. They limited their plate program to 10,000 vehicles, and it's already full and not been renewed.

I don't know that Arizona is the model to follow. They limited their plate program to 10,000 vehicles, and it's already full and not been renewed.

I didn't realize that but still view their model of issuance control tied directly to registration and the elimination of stickers as preferable. At some point, special privileges will hit parity or be eliminated but now seems early based on sheer volume especially as a percentage in car crazed California.

I didn't realize that but still view their model of issuance control tied directly to registration and the elimination of stickers as preferable. At some point, special privileges will hit parity or be eliminated but now seems early based on sheer volume especially as a percentage in car crazed California.

Plates would be nicer, I agree.

I wonder how many cars we could allow HOV access before you defeat the purpose of the lanes. There are currently 85,000 green sticker cars driving the roads now. Plus an unknown number of white stickers. So I wonder what sorts of numbers the system could handle? 100k, 500k, more?

Considering the numbers of new EVs coming out, and their popularity in CA, I wouldn't expect any of these HOV privilege programs to last much longer. The Model 3 alone could swamp the lanes after a few years of sales, I would imagine.

Ooo, I found some numbers: the Los Angeles county HOV lane system carries 331000 vehicles per day (in 2011 - so before Tesla and most of the 85,000 green sticker cars).

• On average, each HOV lane carries 1300 vehicles per hour or 3300 people per hour, during peak hours. These volumes well exceed the minimum expected volume of 800 vehicles or 1800 people per hour, as

specified in the HOV Guidelines for Planning, Design and Operations.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist07/resources/hov/docs/HOV Lane Fact Sheet.pdf

Hmm, after looking into this, I wonder if they will renew the sticker program at all after it expires in 2019.

Last edited:
Ooo, I found some numbers: the Los Angeles county HOV lane system carries 331000 vehicles per day (in 2011 - so before Tesla and many of the green sticker cars).

• On average, each HOV lane carries 1300 vehicles per hour or 3300 people per hour, during peak hours. These volumes well exceed the minimum expected volume of 800 vehicles or 1800 people per hour

http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist07/resources/hov/docs/HOV Lane Fact Sheet.pdf

Actually, those are 2008 numbers so imagine what it is now! The 2011 referred to lane inventory. And the legislative bills represented are already two sunset clause extensions old. I'd love to see the stats updated. Nice find.

Reactions: Az_Rael
Applied for my decals at the beginning of June for my CPO model S and got a return letter of the current existing decal number which was not placed on the vehicle. Needed to reapply with that registration number.

Printed out another form to fill out and noticed that the new fee is $22. Although the decals are well worth the cost, I'm surprised at the percentage increase.