Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, all white and green stickers expire in 2019. So no one will be able use them unless the program is extended

The state might decide the sticker program has met its goals to increase EV adoption just like they did with the yellow hybrid stickers back in the day. Like someone else said, they might come out with a new color sticker for hydrogen cars or some other new technology they are trying to promote.

As I recall the yellow stickers had their carpool privileges extended a couple of times after the stickers ran out...how that increased the adoption of hybrid vehicles I'm not sure. As a Prius owner (sticker set #208) I obviously benefited from this, but I felt a little bit guilty about those extensions since they just helped me get more value out of a car I'd purchased several years before.

White and green sticker users take note: As the expiration date approaches, your "friends" may derive some perverse satisfaction from pointing out the impending date to you. Repeatedly. Guess how I know this. :mad:

Bruce.

Reactions: Az_Rael
It is likely the end of the road for current HOV decals on January 1, 2019. Eligible Vehicles - Single Occupant Carpool Lane Use Stickers

upload_2017-2-20_17-42-30.png

I just moved to CA and brought my Chevy Volt with me (waiting on the Model 3). I now have CA License Plates, but I do not yet have a CA Driver's License. My commute is 90 miles and I'd love to be able to use the HOV lane ASAP. Can I apply without a CA Driver's License? Its on the form, so I wanted to ask before I sent my $$.

Why not just head to a convenient DMV and get your license ? You get to see your drivers license number in the printout they hand you the same day you clear the written test. You don't need to wait for the card to arrive in the mail.

Thanks for the advice, but I was waiting to get a permanent address so I don't have to pay to change the address on my DL. So I'm hoping the the sticker can be had without a CA drivers license.

Also, does CA have a convenient DMV? I heard people wait hours on the phone and there are lines around the buildings. I went in to the AAA office to get my license plates in about 10 minutes...there was no line. While they could do the plates, they apologized and told me they couldn't do driver's licenses; and they suggested I take a whole day off work when I go to the DMV to get it.

DMV motto, "Go early and go often!"...you'll eventually get through or get in.

My last experience with the DMV here (to get my wife's license when she moved from out of state) was fairly painless. We were in and out in under 2hrs total; I remember because she was a little ill that day and we wanted to get done quickly. Getting a prior appointment on their website made a difference .

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Also, does CA have a convenient DMV? I heard people wait hours on the phone and there are lines around the buildings. I went in to the AAA office to get my license plates in about 10 minutes...there was no line. While they could do the plates, they apologized and told me they couldn't do driver's licenses; and they suggested I take a whole day off work when I go to the DMV to get it.

When I got my license, I got it in half an hour at the DMV. (Didn't take any test for transfer of licence from NY)
You can get an appointment time slot. There isn't much of a line for people with appointments in my experience.

Can confirm waiting for hours on the phone and often days or weeks for an appointment. But I found that once you had an appointment (provided you don't got to certain cursed DMV locations), the experience is actually less painful compared to the equivalent process in other states.

We didn't use the phone. The online reservation site was good enough. Including her written test, visual and photograph, plus the multiple step payment and receipt process, it all took somewhere over an hour, with most of it spent on the written test. And this was in Santa Clara DMV, which is hellish without an appointment. We got a mid-afternoon reservation less than a week out from the day we tried.

What are the possibilities of California extending the HOV decals past January 1, 2019? Is there anything we can do about it?

Its all about the money. CA gets a fee for every sticker issued (hefty increase last year), which they will not give up the revenue easy. So, while we have no idea what they will do in 2109, chances are they'll increase the sticker fees and limit vehicle types during select hours (volume control) until all HOV lanes are converted to toll lanes. Just a guess.

Its all about the money. CA gets a fee for every sticker issued (hefty increase last year), which they will not give up the revenue easy. So, while we have no idea what they will do in 2109, chances are they'll increase the sticker fees and limit vehicle types during select hours (volume control) until all HOV lanes are converted to toll lanes. Just a guess.
The fee was increased from $8 to $22. In the scope of State finances, this is not a motivating factor.

Personally, I'm hoping that the Green stickers will expire on 1/1/2019 and the White stickers will be extended for 3 years.

If you go into the DMV office they just give you an envelope and ask you to drop it into their outgoing mailbox. So, they don't have or give out the HOV stickers locally from the office. It all goes through the mail in the end.

The I-580 currently has tolled express lanes. They are free for single occupancy white sticker cars like Teslas, that mount the Fastrak Flex transponder set to position 3. Ideally that feature will continue.
With the 2017 MS 90D, I had to mount my FasTrak 180 degrees from the standard position just to the right of the rear view mirror. (Upside down with the switch facing the inside of the vehicle.) It should beep when driving under the toll sensor. If not, try moving or repositioning it.