Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been watching this bill for some time now in anticipation of Governor Brown signing it.

My guess as to how they'll implement it:

1. For stickers issued with an expiration date of 1/1/2022 - this will apply to all cars that were initially issued a green/white sticker between 1/1/17 and 1/1/19. I assume that these stickers will be one color (any random color, other than Orange, White, or Green) as they will all expire on the same day. Or, they could coincide the color with the registration sticker color for 2021.

2. For stickers issued for cars that never received a sticker, between 1/1/19 and 12/31/19 - expiration date is 1/1/23, and I assume the color will coincide with the registration sticker color for 2022. This will allow for easier enforcement by CHP of carpool lanes

3. For stickers issued for cars that never received a sticker, between 1/1/20 and 12/31/20 - expiration date is 1/1/14, and same as point #2 above.

Beginning 1/1/22, there will be different color stickers each year. To make it coincide with the registration sticker color makes it easier for law enforcement to easily identify which stickers are current, and which stickers have expired.

Notice in my wording, I say "cars that have never received a sticker" for points 2 and 3. While I believe the intent of the bill is to drive new car sales, the language in the bill does not specifically state that cars must be new. If you were to bring in a non-CA car, you could get the stickers as the car had never received a sticker before. The bill states "(7) Except as provided in subparagraph (B) of paragraph (5), a vehicle shall not be issued a decal, label, or other identifier more than once." with the exception noted being point 1 above.

Anyone read the language otherwise?

Update from the SJ Mercury News Roadshow: Some new carpool stickers may be good until 2025

The new rules can be confusing, but I bring good news. Sponsors say here are the guidelines for AB 544 signed into law a couple of weeks ago for getting stickers to drive solo in carpool lanes:
  • The bill allows vehicles that received a decal in 2017 or 2018 to receive another decal that is eligible until 2022. This will ensure that everyone has at least three years of use on their decal.
  • In the new program, an individual can only use the decal for three years after the year they purchased it up until 2025.
  • The new stickers will also look different (i.e. not green or white) to distinguish them from the ones which expire in 2019.

7939A708-8D1B-479B-958C-50BE0D954DDE.png
Tesla not on the 2018 list for stickers?

Reactions: rrosenbl
The AB 544 bill states that cars that received a decal in 2017 or 2018 are allowed to renew again in 2019. It does not say anything about what model year the car actually has to be.

So does that mean I can buy an old 2014 car (let's say c-max energi) from out of state that has never received CA decals before, apply for the decals now (in 2018), and thus still be able to renew it in 2019?

The AB 544 bill states that cars that received a decal in 2017 or 2018 are allowed to renew again in 2019. It does not say anything about what model year the car actually has to be.

So does that mean I can buy an old 2014 car (let's say c-max energi) from out of state that has never received CA decals before, apply for the decals now (in 2018), and thus still be able to renew it in 2019?
That seems to be the case.

Reactions: xanatos

Yes, by the plain language of the statute.

So those who previously had the sticker prior to 01/01/2017 are screwed until they provide provisions to allow renewal?

Well at least toll roads like 91 or 10can still be used, just have to pay up
I think so, which kinda sucks because I bought my Model S CPO in late 2016 so I can't drive it in HOV to work anymore starting next year.
Thus the need for another (cheaper) commuter car that still qualifies...

Woah, I understand doing that with the rebate, but not the HOV lane stickers.
The article is wrong. You only cannot get stickers if you received the CVRP and your income exceeds the limits.

CVC 5205.5 (b) (1) The department shall not issue a decal, label, or other identifier to an applicant who has received a consumer rebate pursuant to the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project ... for a vehicle purchased on or after January 1, 2018, unless the rebate was issued to a buyer whose gross annual income falls below one hundred fifty thousand dollars ($150,000) for a person who files a tax return as a single person, two hundred four thousand dollars ($204,000) for a person who files a tax return as a head of household, and three hundred thousand dollars ($300,000) for a person who files a joint tax return.

And, the only people in the high income group that would qualify for both CVRP and the HOV stickers are Fuel Cell vehicle owners - there's no income limit on the CVRP rebate for FCVs. Then, the person would have to elect one or the other.

For everyone else who didn't qualify for the CVRP or who elected not to receive it, the HOV stickers are available.

This also brings up a flaw in the law: it uses present tense for income (seemingly meaning your current income) rather than the income that qualified for the HOV stickers. So if in 2017, I made $100,000 and got the CVRP and HOV stickers, and in 2018 I make $500,000, which income limit applies? (If to 2017 when I got the HOV stickers and CVRP, my 2018 income is irrelevant. But if it means current income, I would not qualify for the extended date HOV stickers effective on 1/1/19.)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mblakele
I understand why a rebate may be restricted to higher income people, but I don't understand what access to HOV lanes has to do with income. Unless every HOV lane has a pay and use option, it seems logical that everyone should have equal opportunity to access the lane, irrespective of income.

(I don't have any stake in the matter. My stickers expire end of this year. Just thinking out loud.)

I understand why a rebate may be restricted to higher income people, but I don't understand what access to HOV lanes has to do with income. Unless every HOV lane has a pay and use option, it seems logical that everyone should have equal opportunity to access the lane, irrespective of income.

(I don't have any stake in the matter. My stickers expire end of this year. Just thinking out loud.)
It's probably becoming moot. More and more HOV lanes are being converted to HOT lanes, many with a "you got an EV? That's nice, but you pay full price" attitude.

I-405 through Orange County is the next lucky recipient of our taxpayer-paid right-of-way being turned into a cash cow and sop to those who can afford $1/mile or more in an HOT lane during rush hour.

After reading AB 544, it appears that the stickers expire based on when it was first issued, and not based on when the car was first sold. This means that I can buy a new Tesla in December 2018 and wait until January 1, 2019 to apply for the sticker so I can get that extra year? If my assumption is incorrect, please point me to the verbiage in AB544 that specifies otherwise.