Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car must be registered in California and you can use out of state license on app I did no issues but you must first wait and make sure ur car is registered in CA

Confirmed, just sent out the application. Thanks.

Check the app. Download it from CA DMV site. Google it.

I'll take a look now, didn't know about any app. Thanks for the heads up.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Regarding buying a used car that supposedly has never been issued a sticker before:

Call me paranoid, but what if the special processing unit runs the plate and tells you it should be eligible for renewal next year, but somehow made a mistake and you get denied when you renew next year? Are you pretty much SOL?

It would suck to buy a used car specifically for the sticker only to get it denied due to a "clerical error"...

Regarding buying a used car that supposedly has never been issued a sticker before:

Call me paranoid, but what if the special processing unit runs the plate and tells you it should be eligible for renewal next year, but somehow made a mistake and you get denied when you renew next year? Are you pretty much SOL?

It would suck to buy a used car specifically for the sticker only to get it denied due to a "clerical error"...

I share your concern... it's not hard to believe the DMV would make errors based on their recent track record.

• Funny
Reactions: smartypnz
Anyone have guesses as to when they will roll out the information on how to apply for a new sticker for those vehicles who previously received a sticker between 1/1/17 and 12/31/18? The ARB website currently states the following:

Owners of vehicles issued a Red, Green or White HOV decal from January 1, 2017 to December 31, 2018, may apply for a new Clean Air Vehicle Decal that will expire on January 1, 2022. There are income requirements and other details regarding this new California Clean Air Decal program. Information on the color of the new sticker and application date and process have not yet been released.

My concern is the amount of time it will take to handle the processing of everyone who will need to get the new sticker to replace their current one. We've seen processing times for cars applying for new stickers at around 1 month. Now imagine the amount of people with old stickers all applying for the new sticker at once. We're already midway through July and there still is no information being posted on the application process.

Anyone have guesses as to when they will roll out the information on how to apply for a new sticker for those vehicles who previously received a sticker between 1/1/17 and 12/31/18? The ARB website currently states the following:

Owners of vehicles issued a Red, Green or White HOV decal from January 1, 2017 to December 31, 2018, may apply for a new Clean Air Vehicle Decal that will expire on January 1, 2022. There are income requirements and other details regarding this new California Clean Air Decal program. Information on the color of the new sticker and application date and process have not yet been released.

My concern is the amount of time it will take to handle the processing of everyone who will need to get the new sticker to replace their current one. We've seen processing times for cars applying for new stickers at around 1 month. Now imagine the amount of people with old stickers all applying for the new sticker at once. We're already midway through July and there still is no information being posted on the application process.
I never expected the final procedure to appear before the 4th quarter. Be patient. This is the DMV we're talking about.

• Love
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Related question for the California crew. When am I actually reflected as the owner of my new Tesla? My delivery is scheduled for Thursday. I'm finalizing my financing today but I haven't been asked to confirm those details yet. I thought they wanted that done a few days before pickup - or even before transportation? I guess not on the latter as I understand my car is supposed to arrive in LA today. Anyway, I would've thought they lined all this up so you're done at least a day or two in advance so you own the vehicle and can then pick it up somewhat quickly at delivery. And if that's true, how quickly does DMV reflect me as the owner? Also, do you get your license plates at deliver? I'd be comfortable submitting the form for my HOV stickers without plate info, but I'm trying to figure out the earliest I can submit it as the owner, as it takes 3-8 weeks and every day counts. Thanks.

Related question for the California crew. When am I actually reflected as the owner of my new Tesla? My delivery is scheduled for Thursday. I'm finalizing my financing today but I haven't been asked to confirm those details yet. I thought they wanted that done a few days before pickup - or even before transportation? I guess not on the latter as I understand my car is supposed to arrive in LA today. Anyway, I would've thought they lined all this up so you're done at least a day or two in advance so you own the vehicle and can then pick it up somewhat quickly at delivery. And if that's true, how quickly does DMV reflect me as the owner? Also, do you get your license plates at deliver? I'd be comfortable submitting the form for my HOV stickers without plate info, but I'm trying to figure out the earliest I can submit it as the owner, as it takes 3-8 weeks and every day counts. Thanks.

No plates at delivery -- typically 2-3 weeks. You can keep calling DMV every day and asking for plate # based on VIN. If you're NICE they'll tell you and you can use it before plates arrive. You can call DMV Special Processing Unit (local # not 800#) and inquire about when stickers mailed. MAKE SURE THE APPLICATION IS PERFECT AND SIGNED and address matches registration address down to the punctuation -- they DO REJECT for little reasons and you're in the back of the line!

You're owner when papers signed. Official when papers submitted by Tesla to DMV.

I have had my car for 15 months, and have never put on my stickers. I have them in my glovebox, in case i get pulled over (yes, taking a risk), but the stickers are so dang ugly and I hate to ruin the look of the car. So far, with CHP behind me, watching the carpool lane on the onramp, etc. --- they have simply ignored me (pretty clear that I am a fully electric car).

Anybody else try this?

I have had my car for 15 months, and have never put on my stickers. I have them in my glovebox, in case i get pulled over (yes, taking a risk), but the stickers are so dang ugly and I hate to ruin the look of the car. So far, with CHP behind me, watching the carpool lane on the onramp, etc. --- they have simply ignored me (pretty clear that I am a fully electric car).

Anybody else try this?
Sure people have done it but you’re taking a massive risk. All you need it ONE cop to pull you over and ADIOS. Moreover, when the stickers expire on 1/1/19, they MUST see the new sticker (whatever it is, red?) otherwise can no longer assume you’re electric so it’s ok.

If you’re concerned about the stickers leaving a mark when removed, you should apply them using this technique — I did it and it’s EASY!!

And they’ll peel RIGHT off. Moreover, you should place them as LOW as possible on your bumper - would be hardly visible!