Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone still waiting on this pre-filled form that was supposed to get it? I was issued new stickers a few months ago, but I bought a CPO so I don't know if it had stickers before. No renewal form yet... :(

You don't have to wait for the pre-filled form.
A fellow TMC member didn't want to wait so they filled out the current form and got the new decals.
California red car pool lane decal - waiting for DMV

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I will be taking delivery on a new Pearl MX at end of November. I will be turning in my leased MX shortly. I have received the white decals a while back for that car but never applied them. My question: Because my new car is white, I'd prefer a white decal. I'm thinking I'll apply for the red decals, keep them in the glovebox but apply the white ones on the new car. Wouldn't think there'd be much risk in discovery. And even if somehow discovered, I'd have the correct ones available.

I will be taking delivery on a new Pearl MX at end of November. I will be turning in my leased MX shortly. I have received the white decals a while back for that car but never applied them. My question: Because my new car is white, I'd prefer a white decal. I'm thinking I'll apply for the red decals, keep them in the glovebox but apply the white ones on the new car. Wouldn't think there'd be much risk in discovery. And even if somehow discovered, I'd have the correct ones available.

You are getting your new MX end of November, so you wont have your red stickers in December (DMV not that fast) in your glove box. You could be using your white stickers for December but they will expire by 1/1/2019 then you will have to put on your red stickers anyway. Do you really want to put on the white stickers (from another car) for one month when you never put on the stickers on the old MX anyway?

You probably should just wait until next year to apply for the stickers. They "may" have a new color other than red and you get 1 extra year of having the stickers.

Thought I would post what I’m doing on here.
I am leaving the front license plate in my garage and leaving the red stickers in my glove box. I use carpool lanes roughly 1 time a week, on the 580/680. I have a fast track and I leave on the 3 (carpool) setting. If I get pulled over, I will update here.
I don’t like the way my white T looks with a front license plate and don’t want to see what it looks like with red stickers. I’m willing to gamble

Last edited:
Thought I would post what I’m doing on here.
I am leaving the front license plate in my garage and leaving the red stickers in my glove box. I use carpool lanes roughly 1 time a week, on the 580/680. I have a fast track and I leave on the 3 (carpool) setting. If I get pulled over, I will update here.
I don’t like the way my white looks with a front license plate and don’t want to see what it looks like with red stickers. I’m willing to gamble

Actually I am kind of interested in finding out. Because you could put on 0, 1, 2, 3, or all 4 stickers. Anything other than 4 stickers would have a chance of getting a ticket. Now if you don't have any stickers on the bumpers but you got them in your car, do you get a driving on carpool lane alone ticket? Like $500? Or you get a fix it ticket to put your stickers on? Or something in between?

Actually I am kind of interested in finding out. Because you could put on 0, 1, 2, 3, or all 4 stickers. Anything other than 4 stickers would have a chance of getting a ticket. Now if you don't have any stickers on the bumpers but you got them in your car, do you get a driving on carpool lane alone ticket? Like $500? Or you get a fix it ticket to put your stickers on? Or something in between?
I’d imagine it would be a fixit ticket to put the stickers on correctly, but I could be wrong
Edit: I would bet that I’m wrong

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911

There are a lot of people driving in the Bay Area with 1 or 2 decals :cool:

Reactions: golfpilot
There are a lot of people driving in the Bay Area with 1 or 2 decals :cool:

Well I have 2 white decals (passenger side and back) and I am supposed to receive the red decals. I am wondering if I should put 2, or just do all 4 when I get the red ones. By only putting 2 out of 3 of the white decals, I am already breaking the rule. Now is it worst if I only put 2 out of 4 of the red decals? LOL.

Well I have 2 white decals (passenger side and back) and I am supposed to receive the red decals. I am wondering if I should put 2, or just do all 4 when I get the red ones. By only putting 2 out of 3 of the white decals, I am already breaking the rule. Now is it worst if I only put 2 out of 4 of the red decals? LOL.

I would go with both Red and White decals... Go, Stanford! :cool:

• Funny
Reactions: Need

Welcome to the HOV rainbow... only in California :cool:

upload_2018-11-11_20-53-42.png

I saw that the CA DMV webpage with carpool sticker information was updated recently. Not sure if the linked form (REG 1000) was updated or not, but the language at the bottom in Section 3 cites the governing law (California Vehicle Code (CVC) §5205.5) and states "For a vehicle purchased on or after January 1, 2018, the Department of Motor Vehicles cannot issue a clean air decal to an applicant who has received a consumer rebate, nor can an applicant participate in both the Clean Air Decal Program and the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project."

I bought a Tesla in 2016 and got the white sticker and the rebate (under the prior carpool related portion of CVC). I sold that car and bought a new Tesla because I need the sticker (am planning to apply in January for the purple version). However, in looking at the language from §5205.5 as used by the CA DMV, am I still eligible? I have already received a rebate but it was for a different Tesla more than two years ago.