Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You have to apply after you have plates

My understanding was that Tesla registers the car
As has been mentioned earlier in this thread, you do NOT need to wait for your plates to come in to order the HOV stickers.

Sorry, I was referring to the month and year stickers, not HOV stickers.

I took delivery almost two months ago, received plates about two weeks ago, and haven't received a registration card nor the month and year stickers.

I just purchased a used M3P from Tesla. It was never registered in CA before me. It makes sense for me to wait until end of Dec to apply for 2022 stickers right? Not sure if they will expire 1/1/25? Any insight is appreciated

I just purchased a used M3P from Tesla. It was never registered in CA before me. It makes sense for me to wait until end of Dec to apply for 2022 stickers right? Not sure if they will expire 1/1/25? Any insight is appreciated
Yes, definitely wait to apply for HOV stickers so you maximize the sticker validity. We never applied for stickers for our 2018 Model 3 because our commute doesn't benefit from it. If we change jobs that requires it, we can apply any time. The program is scheduled to end in Sept 2025 though.

Yes, definitely wait to apply for HOV stickers so you maximize the sticker validity. We never applied for stickers for our 2018 Model 3 because our commute doesn't benefit from it. If we change jobs that requires it, we can apply any time. The program is scheduled to end in Sept 2025 though.

Thanks for the great info. Ill wait until first week of Jan/21.

I know custom plates are temporally suspended.

As for carpool I suspect it's temporally suspended as well. I did a transfer months ago and even though the check was cashed I've got nothing from them in the mail. But year wait till Jan and get another year. Just heads up likely still be a delay then.

Courts aren't even open in most places. Tickets are randomly getting in the system. People are going past court dates and being told just check back each week to see if you can pay, traffic school, or get date.

Reactions: bmms8
  • Does anyone know how we should pay $22 application fee to DMV? The website does not show clearly but the form says make $22 payable to DMV. Is it Personal cheque or Money Order?
  • Does anyone know if AAA accepts CAV Forms??

I sent them a personal check. Which they promptly deposited. But they haven't processed the paperwork yet and it's been a couple months since the deposit and several months sent they received it. Money order is prob fine, but personal check is free.

I can't speak to anything else otherwise.

• Helpful
Reactions: PedramGh
  • Does anyone know how we should pay $22 application fee to DMV? The website does not show clearly but the form says make $22 payable to DMV. Is it Personal cheque or Money Order?
  • Does anyone know if AAA accepts CAV Forms??
AAA cannot process CAV stickers. You must mail it to the address on the form. Personal check is the recommended payment method.