Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jumping on this thread: I submitted my registration the second week of April, and just received mine today. This thing is ugly as hell, I really don’t want it on my car.
IMG_9740.jpeg

May: submit HOV application
July: $22 check finally cashed
Waiting now...
Timeline update:
Just received the (ugly green) HOV stickers today 7/20

And for reference, when I applied to the DMV, I did not yet have my permanent plates, so I left the [plate] field blank.
The HOV certificate does show the valid plate, so I guess the systems do talk to each other!

• Informative
Reactions: CASE01 and Hiline
Has anyone used the TWRAPS PPF kit *with* tint on top of the 2023 green stickers? Could you please share a picture or two? How dark does it get? (is it too dark?)

Waiting for my stickers and definitely want to use PPF underneath and was checking out the PPF+tint kit (vs. just PPF) and not sure whether the tint on top is worth it, etc.

Thanks much in advance for any pics!

Has anyone used the TWRAPS PPF kit *with* tint on top of the 2023 green stickers? Could you please share a picture or two? How dark does it get? (is it too dark?)

Waiting for my stickers and definitely want to use PPF underneath and was checking out the PPF+tint kit (vs. just PPF) and not sure whether the tint on top is worth it, etc.

Thanks much in advance for any pics!
I bought it, and it looks like good quality, but it will be a PITA getting the PPF and PPF Tint aligned perfectly, lol. It will definitely require some patience; I can see that already.

I took delivery on 06/29, so I'm hoping I get my white plates next week so I can head to AAA and swap them for my personalized plates the same day.

Reactions: rub1k
Can one get sticker for used car (2018 Tesla Model 3), never issued DECAL before?
Yes. See last question and answer about cars never issued a decal.
Clean Air Vehicle Decals for Using Carpool and HOV Lanes - California DMV
Also, after filling the Form and there's a $22 fee, how do you pay the fee?

Is it personal check, cashier check or money order? And who is it payable to?
It's right on the top left corner of the form. Issue a personal check payable to "DMV"
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/file/application-for-clean-air-vehicle-decal-reg-1000-pdf/

The section replacement decals make it more clear the explicit payment method:
"There is a $22 fee for replacement decals (check or money order)."

It would seem unlikely. There are so many EV’e on the road in CA right now. Let alone by 2025. Not much incentive to offer it. With the increasing amount of private toll roads which if I understood correctly the stickers don’t on private carpool lanes.

Jumping on this thread: I submitted my registration the second week of April, and just received mine today. This thing is ugly as hell, I really don’t want it on my car. View attachment 957614
They are ugly, I don’t want them on all four corners of my new car. My cop friend pointed out no car pool stickers is a violation. One car pool sticker is a fix-it ticket.

I have one sticker, rear right, and have never had an issue.

I just use the two that are most visible. Back right. Right side back. I don’t use the other two. I also use removable PPF between the sticker and the car so I a remove whenever I want. They also make magnets you can cut to size but I don’t think that will work on a Tesla.

Reactions: DocHolliday
They are ugly, I don’t want them on all four corners of my new car. My cop friend pointed out no car pool stickers is a violation. One car pool sticker is a fix-it ticket.

I have one sticker, rear right, and have never had an issue.
This is exactly how I display them, and have displayed them, for the past 11 years. And, as others mentioned, with PPF. I can’t imagine a CHP would actually pull someone over for a fix-it. That is a lot of risk for something so trivial.

Reactions: SDRick
I can only afford enough PPF to sport just the small sticker on the right rear lower bumper. Haven't had a problem in seven years.

If it turns into a fix-it ticket, so be it, although for some reason, the odds of being stopped for this infraction may be higher than boosting luxury items from your favorite retailer.

Reactions: cindysue