Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly. I did this several times, including just a few months ago when I bought a car from out of state and had to go to the DMV to register it. They pulled an envelope of plates out of a drawer, assigned it to my car and handed them over to me. They keep a steady supply of random plates on hand.
I do not know if AAA has plates on hand. I think they do not.
Anyway, if you are truly in danger of having your tags expire, just head to the DMV and I think they will get you plates now.
For a new car purchase, wouldn't Tesla need to file their paperwork first before the DMV can issue any plates even if you go in person?

For a new car purchase, wouldn't Tesla need to file their paperwork first before the DMV can issue any plates even if you go in person?
Oops. Yes, they would. I guess if Tesla sent nothing, that would pose a problem.
How ‘bout driving the Tesla to a service center and say “ you guys forgot to send the paperwork to the DMV. Give me a loaner that is legal to drive until you fix this mess”. Yah, good luck with that.

• Funny
Reactions: jeremymc7
I just spoke to the DMV for a car bought in Dec 2022, and Tesla has yet to submit the forms. They did post the fees. My temp plate expires in 2 weeks. WTF Tesla.
Called Tesla again, she said the registration/plate has been issued and are being mailed to me. 8 days until the temp plates expire, so cutting it as close as they can. I'll be out of town next week driving the Tesla, so hope I don't get pulled over until I come back home in April.

You may want to consider calling the DMV with your VIN handy. Tesla messed up my registration and failed to submit paperwork to the DMV, which delayed the process. If the DMV tells you they are missing any documentation/information, make sure to contact Tesla to get that submitted ASAP.

8 days until the temp plates expire, so cutting it as close as they can. I'll be out of town next week driving the Tesla, so hope I don't get pulled over until I come back home in April.

I wouldn't worry about being pulled over for expired plates/stickers. I'm a severe procrastinator, and I usually put my annual DMV stickers on about 6 months after they expire LOL. Never been pulled over for that.

Reactions: mgs333
Hi,

I sent my DMV form 1000 on December 31, 2022. Check cashed Feb 27, 2023. Still no stickers as of March 30, so called DMV, who said stickers were assigned to my car Feb 22, 2023. They suggesting sending a new form 1000 asking for replacement stickers, which I did.

My questions here:
- Anyone here send their form 1000 around the same time and still waiting?
- Anyone have a similar situation (now or in the past) and have suggestions to expedite replacement stickers (assuming mine were lost/stolen and not just taking a long time)? I'm hoping to avoid waiting another 2 months for DMV to process the new application form.

Thanks for any input!
Marc

Hi,

I sent my DMV form 1000 on December 31, 2022. Check cashed Feb 27, 2023. Still no stickers as of March 30, so called DMV, who said stickers were assigned to my car Feb 22, 2023. They suggesting sending a new form 1000 asking for replacement stickers, which I did.

My questions here:
- Anyone here send their form 1000 around the same time and still waiting?
- Anyone have a similar situation (now or in the past) and have suggestions to expedite replacement stickers (assuming mine were lost/stolen and not just taking a long time)? I'm hoping to avoid waiting another 2 months for DMV to process the new application form.

Thanks for any input!
Marc

Replying to my own message... The message was moved to this thread and no longer has the subject line from when I posted it separately (also can't edit it). Just want to make it clear that the above post is asking about California carpool stickers.

I have/had RED CA DMV stickers for my 2018 M3. Never put them on, job change and then Pandemic meant it wasn’t really needed at all. At this point, is there anyone one can do to get back into the clean air vehicles good graces other than buy a new or more recent model year vehicle? It seems a bit odd that one can only get three years of carpool/other benefit out of a clean air vehicle purchase. Should have just taken the rebate at this point.