Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can tell you that the stickers don't apply to FasTrak lanes.

Stickers by themselves do not change use of Fastrak lanes. But stickers plus the special CAV toll tag allow half price in many of the Fastrak toll lanes even if you have one person (where normally you need two for half price and three for free).

It’s a federal law that prevents California from extending the expiration. I did notice (as I’m sure everyone has) that the 2023 stickers are green over the 2022 yellow and they all expire Sept-2025. This tells me that the DMV is tracking the issue date just in case the expiration date is able to be extended. So they are hedging their bets in case the federal law changes.

It’s a federal law that prevents California from extending the expiration. I did notice (as I’m sure everyone has) that the 2023 stickers are green over the 2022 yellow and they all expire Sept-2025. This tells me that the DMV is tracking the issue date just in case the expiration date is able to be extended. So they are hedging their bets in case the federal law changes.
Citation required, which law are you talking about? My understanding is that it is up to CA legislature to extend the sticker deadlines, but there is little reason to do so now given the prevalence of EVs in California. Basically the program already served its purpose.

Citation required, which law are you talking about? My understanding is that it is up to CA legislature to extend the sticker deadlines, but there is little reason to do so now given the prevalence of EVs in California. Basically the program already served its purpose.

High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) Lane Exemption

States are allowed to exempt certified alternative fuel vehicles (AFVs) and electric vehicles (EVs) from HOV lane requirements within the state. Eligible AFVs are defined as vehicles operating solely on methanol, denatured ethanol, or other alcohols; a mixture containing at least 85% methanol, denatured ethanol, or other alcohols; natural gas, propane, hydrogen, or coal derived liquid fuels; or fuels derived from biological materials. EVs are defined as vehicles that are recharged from an external source of electricity and have a battery capacity of at least 4 kilowatt-hours. States are also allowed to establish programs allowing low-emission and energy-efficient vehicles to pay a toll to access HOV lanes.

Vehicles must be certified by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and appropriately labeled for use in HOV lanes. The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) is responsible for planning and implementing HOV programs, including the low-emission and energy-efficient vehicle criteria EPA established. States that choose to adopt these requirements will be responsible for enforcement and vehicle labeling. The HOV exemption for AFVs and EVs expires September 30, 2025 and low-emission and energy-efficient vehicle toll-access to HOV lanes expires September 30, 2019.

Anyone got a recent experience with ordering and receiving CA special interest (vanity) plates, as far as how long it took?

I filled out and submitted the application and payment online at the end of June. The receipt states, "Your personalized plate order has been placed. Your new registration card and stickers will be mailed, followed by your licenseplates in 8-12 weeks to your address of record." while the online website states, "Application review and production of personalized plate orders takes approximately 4-6 months. Thank you for your patience." -- just noticed this warning now, not sure if it was there before.

Wow, 6 months? I guess it's been 4 months so far and no sign of the new plates.

Anyone ordered & received recently? How long did it take?

I ordered the special interest black plates with the gold lettering (1960s legacy), and I received them in about two weeks. But, I didn't do any special wording as a vanity plate, just took their random setup.
Ahh OK, thank you for that data point. Interesting (and very fast!) -- same plates ordered here (yellow on black).

Unfortunately, I did customize the wording instead of opting for the sequence plate so I'm sure that is adding all the extra time... but 6 months sounds ridiculous.. hah! Oh well...

Anyone got a recent experience with ordering and receiving CA special interest (vanity) plates, as far as how long it took?

I filled out and submitted the application and payment online at the end of June. The receipt states, "Your personalized plate order has been placed. Your new registration card and stickers will be mailed, followed by your licenseplates in 8-12 weeks to your address of record." while the online website states, "Application review and production of personalized plate orders takes approximately 4-6 months. Thank you for your patience." -- just noticed this warning now, not sure if it was there before.

Wow, 6 months? I guess it's been 4 months so far and no sign of the new plates.

Anyone ordered & received recently? How long did it take?
6 months and waiting, I checked with DMV and they said 9 months ETA. 60's legacy, personalized.

• Helpful
Reactions: rub1k
I'm buying a Model Y RWD which is a new mid year configuration. The trouble is that the CA ARB eligible carpool sticker list doesn't include the RWD configuration for the Model Y. Any ideas?

2023 Model Year Vehicles​

Tesla Model Y AWD, Long Range AWD and Performance AWD

I'm buying a Model Y RWD which is a new mid year configuration. The trouble is that the CA ARB eligible carpool sticker list doesn't include the RWD configuration for the Model Y. Any ideas?

2023 Model Year Vehicles​

Tesla Model Y AWD, Long Range AWD and Performance AWD

Brand new model, probably hasn't been added to the list yet.

Reactions: EVChris
i laugh at all the cars with 4 stickers on. They are all never straight.
Just put one small sticker in the back in the lower right corner. Buy some of the protective clear wrap so when it does expire you can take it off with no damage . Done. Do your break calipers in the same color so you match to make you feel better. And don't put on stickers that don't match your cars registration. Guess what happens when you fraudulently use somebody else's stickers

Reactions: DocHolliday
Hello - The way I ready the CA HOV Sticker program website - if you apply between January 1, 2023 and December 31, 2023 your sticker expires when the program ends on September 30, 2025. Does that mean that they will stop issuing stickers after January 1, 2024??? I get my MX on Friday (11/24) and hope to get my plates before the end of the year to submit the application in time.

January 1, 2023 - December 31, 2023All decals expire on September 30, 2025Green