Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California Supercharger Prices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Resist

Mar 24, 2019
California
Just wanted to thank Elon for raising the Supercharger prices here in California. The last time I checked it was $0.31, now it's $0.35 and $0.36. I know that doesn't seem like a huge increase considering how gas prices always seem to go up more. But, we have a lot of solar electricity here so the power is mostly free for Tesla. True it's not that big of a deal in the big picture, I just hate increases. Rant off. lol

At that price, model 3 is no longer cheaper than an ICE car for long trips
You'd have to be driving an ICE that gets 37.2MPG highway, with gas at $3/gal (CA rates) in order to be equal in cost to operating a 3 @ 260Wh/mi efficiency. Or in other parts of the country, with gas at $2/gal, you'd need an ICE to get 24.8MPG. The BMW I replaced with my 3 got about 25MPG on the highway so I'm still ahead.

Just wanted to thank Elon for raising the Supercharger prices here in California. The last time I checked it was $0.31, now it's $0.35 and $0.36. I know that doesn't seem like a huge increase considering how gas prices always seem to go up more. But, we have a lot of solar electricity here so the power is mostly free for Tesla. True it's not that big of a deal in the big picture, I just hate increases. Rant off. lol
I suspect Tesla still loses money in California at $0.35. Most SC do NOT have Solar and storage which means that they pull from grid. Do some research on "demand charges" and TOU to appreciate how ridiculously expensive a grid-powered SC location capable of pulling MEGAwatts to charge multiple vehicles can be.
That said, I don't like the costs either and only use SC when necessary. I can charge much cheaper at home. I am happy that I have so many (albeit expensive) SCs to let me travel anywhere for still less than gasoline.

It's SCE and other providers raising their rates. SCE said in Spring they were raising rates this October.

Also, not sure about commercial rates, but grandfathered in TOU is ending end of this year for residential. If this is true for commercial, Supercharger rates will go up again next year. I won't be surprised it'll be 42 cents in the near future and then we'll see 50 cents in 5+ years as more EVs are on the market driving up demand.

Yeah, it sucks to have stuff cost more and no one likes it. But your thinking about Tesla's costs isn't at all realistic.

1. (I assume you were talking about California having lots of solar and that depressing the wholesale cost of electricity across the whole state, but just in case you meant the superchargers themselves...) Very, very few superchargers have solar and even for the ones that do, it's basically irrelevant to the cost of running the supercharger because the solar output is microscopic compared to the power and energy needs of charging just a few cars. V2 superchargers top out at 150kW and have sustained power outputs over 120 kW for long periods. Think about how large a solar system you need to have to provide that much power. And then realize that that size is just to be able to support charging a single car. Once you get to 2 or 3 cars charging simultaneously, it's obvious that co-located solar is pretty much an irrelevant and useless factor in on-site power/energy calculations because there just isn't enough space to make the PV systems big enough to matter. And what little help it does provide is mostly only over a few hours in the middle of the day.
  2. Tesla pays commercial electricity rates, not the wholesale price. Their power is NEVER mostly free.
  3. Commercial and industrial electric rates are structured differently from residential rates. If you're only familiar with the latter, you're going to have a massively skewed idea of what Tesla is paying for electricity because you aren't including the demand charges which make up a major portion of cost of operating a supercharger.

Commercial and industrial electric rates are structured differently from residential rates. If you're only familiar with the latter, you're going to have a massively skewed idea of what Tesla is paying for electricity because you aren't including the demand charges which make up a major portion of cost of operating a supercharger.
Thank you for your very informative post. Too many people conflate their residential kW/h price with what Tesla charges for Supercharging.

The fact remains that when you charge your EV at your residence your energy cost per mile is far less than a comparable ICE vehicle. If your workplace provides charging you also very likely come out ahead. If you cannot charge at home or at work then you are much less likely to enjoy the cost advantages of an EV.

The rates went up in other states too. My confusion is not so much that California rates went up but that Washington rates did. Cheap dam power here, like 11 cents per kWh, but they went up again, it’s quite cheaper to just charge at home. Sadly I am on a road trip.

Wonder when Tesla is going to quietly cancel free lifetime supercharging agreement?

I and many early adapters are never selling our cars and hopefully get to continue to freeload.... Since we paid an arm and leg to pay Elon Musk in the early days.

I hope this new fee structure stays. It'd be cheaper than my EV-2 rate after midnight.

12p- 9a is $0.09/kwh crazy deal.

Attachments

• 20201031_114229.jpg
    20201031_114229.jpg
    716.6 KB · Views: 293