Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Calling P85D owners world-wide for survey and complaint letter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One lesson I learned in running businesses for more than 20 years is:

The first loss is the smallest !

Every time I tried to cover things up, sit things out, or investing more money on a bad decision, it ended up costing me MUCH more.

Tesla should have revised the P85D specs the MOMENT they discovered they can't deliver the 691 HP. Doing the right thing, meaning "admit, apologize, fix", I am sure everybody would have respected Tesla once again for being "better then the others" and trust would have been gained. They would only have be responsible for the few cars delivered, update them for free and end up with maybe a million in costs for a wrong decision.

From then on, they could honestly disclose real HP and performance for ALL cars the same way, without any BS.

Instead it gets worse every day. Risk of class lawsuit is higher with more cars sold, possible fix is much more expensive with more cars sold, and on top of that the 760 HP BS just opens up the next round of disappointment.

Question is, what's the way out of this ?

Tesla should have revised the P85D specs the MOMENT they discovered they can't deliver the 691 HP. Doing the right thing, meaning "admit, apologize, fix", I am sure everybody would have respected Tesla once again for being "better then the others" and trust would have been gained. They would only have be responsible for the few cars delivered, update them for free and end up with maybe a million in costs for a wrong decision.

From then on, they could honestly disclose real HP and performance for ALL cars the same way, without any BS.

Instead it gets worse every day. Risk of class lawsuit is higher with more cars sold, possible fix is much more expensive with more cars sold, and on top of that the 760 HP BS just opens up the next round of disappointment.
Well the timeline seems to be no one really looked into 691hp seriously until the thread below, which started on 3/22/2015.
Around 5/14/2015 (at which point the thread has reached 677 posts and is slightly under 2 months old), Tesla removed the 691hp number.
On 7/17/2015, Tesla announced they would be offering Ludicrous for $5000 + labor (vs. $10,000 option for new owners). I think that is the solution they are offering. There was already discussion on why they would not be offering it free.
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...691HP/page68?p=1007850&viewfull=1#post1007850

As for the whole 762hp "motor power" for Ludicrous, Tesla never advertised that number, so they can't be held to that (no matter what your interpretation of "motor power" is).

One lesson I learned in running businesses for more than 20 years is:

The first loss is the smallest !

Every time I tried to cover things up, sit things out, or investing more money on a bad decision, it ended up costing me MUCH more.

Question is, what's the way out of this ?

It's utterly clear that the people griping here are simply angling for Tesla to provide a free L upgrade; the ball really only got going after the L was announced. Rather than more futzing around with 10ths, kW and rollouts on this website, why don't you just come out with it, make your case in writing to Tesla and be done with it?

Personally, I'm not going to sign on to any of this. Please remember that a lot of us were looking to support the company, the technology and the vision as much as we were looking to own a really amazing vehicle. When I received my P85D, I received both of those in spades. I have an amazing car and I've supported the best chance the automotive industry has for moving away from fossil fuels. A couple of tenths or a shortfall in HP really doesn't matter a lot to me. Because of what the company has accomplished I'm willing to cut them some slack. Yes they're weak at communications, and yes Elon suffers from an excess of enthusiasm and maybe gets beyond himself a bit. Oh well.

Tesla, the company, is still in a very fragile early state of it's existence and it remains to be seen whether the company will manage to clear the rather large hurdles ahead. Speaking for myself, I'm not interested in being part of a process that is potentially damaging. I'm not saying that others have to feel this way. But to those who are clamoring for the free upgrade, I hope you at least understand the reasons why some of us aren't so concerned and are thrilled with our cars the way that they are. We're not idiots, as you imply. We just didn't buy the cars with the same motivations that you did and we got exactly what we wanted.

Last edited:
Well the timeline seems to be no one really looked into 691hp seriously until the thread below, which started on 3/22/2015.
Around 5/14/2015 (at which point the thread has reached 677 posts and is slightly under 2 months old), Tesla removed the 691hp number.
On 7/17/2015, Tesla announced they would be offering Ludicrous for $5000 + labor (vs. $10,000 option for new owners).

It's utterly clear that the people griping here are simply angling for Tesla to provide a free L upgrade; the ball really only got going after the L was announced.

That's an interesting assertion. If only it were true.

Two of the most vocal posters on the "Tesla should do something about the missing horsepower" issue are Sorka and wk057. Sorka became active in the thread that started on 3/22 referenced above on 3/23. wk057 really dragged his feet, taking a whole three days longer to get involved, and started posting in that thread on 3/26. I've been a pretty vocal supporter as well, and I first posted in that thread on 4/13.

And though I'm not going back to check, I'm reasonably certain all three of us, as well as many others, had posted about this issue long before then, as I have a vague recollection of thinking that thread was "old news" when it was started. That thread somehow made the issue bigger news.

One reason there may be a perception that people talking about this now are just after a free upgrade is that once the upgrade was announced, there was something concrete Tesla could do to make things right. Before that, we knew we felt shorted, and we knew we wanted something done, but we didn't have an easy answer for what that was. Now we do.

On top of that, charging us for the Ludicrous update just seems wrong to many of us who feel we have already paid for most of what it provides, and thus should have it provided to us at no charge.

If there are new people jumping on the bandwagon, that's because the bandwagon is gaining momentum. Very respected and active posters and staunch Tesla supporters like AmpedRealtor have been very open in changing their position to one of support. AmpedRealtor doesn't own a P85D, so has nothing to gain, other than the fact that he (or she) agrees that what we are saying is in the best interest of the company, and the right thing to do. (I hope I am not speaking out of order on his or her behalf. AmpedRealtor has posted several times on this, and I am just attempting to summarize his or her general position for purposes of the point I am making.)

My point is that when people see the evidence mounting, and the tide turning, it's not surprising to see more people unafraid to speak out. I believe that is what we are seeing now.

Around 5/14/2015 (at which point the thread has reached 677 posts and is slightly under 2 months old), Tesla removed the 691hp number.....

I think the time they removed the 691 HP has nothing to do with the threads here, but is most likely the time they realized they can't deliver with the software updated alone.

It's utterly clear that the people griping here are simply angling for Tesla to provide a free L upgrade

I feel the need, as one of the top posters on the 691 HP issue, to point out that I've explicitly stated that I'm unsure that a free Ludicrous mode upgrade is the answer here and I have suggested previously that it probably would *not* be in Tesla's best interest to do so.

Rather than more futzing around with 10ths, kW and rollouts on this website, why don't you just come out with it, make your case in writing to Tesla and be done with it?

I and others have done this already. To my knowledge no one has received any response of note.

Personally, I'm not going to sign on to any of this. Please remember that a lot of us were looking to support the company, the technology and the vision as much as we were looking to own a really amazing vehicle. When I received my P85D, I received both of those in spades. I have an amazing car and I've supported the best chance the automotive industry has for moving away from fossil fuels. A couple of tenths or a shortfall in HP really doesn't matter a lot to me. Because of what the company has accomplished I'm willing to cut them some slack. Yes they're weak at communications, and yes Elon suffers from an excess of enthusiasm and maybe gets beyond himself a bit. Oh well.

Tesla, the company, is still in a very fragile early state of it's existence and it remains to be seen whether the company will manage to clear the rather large hurdles ahead. Speaking for myself, I'm not interested in being part of a process that is potentially damaging. I'm not saying that others have to feel this way. But to those who are clamoring for the free upgrade, I hope you at least understand the reasons why some of us aren't so concerned and are thrilled with our cars the way that they are. We're not idiots, as you imply. We just didn't buy the cars with the same motivations that you did and we got exactly what we wanted.

While you and others seem more than willing to cut Tesla some slack, as you say, I don't think that's going to be helpful in the long term. If Tesla finds they can get away with things like this now, just imagine whats going to happen when the percentage of buyers who are enthusiasts like yourself is much smaller than the percentage of buyers who are buying a car in general and don't care about the company's vision or how enthusiastic the CEO is or not. If anything letting Tesla slide on something like this is doing a disservice to their own goals of trying to change the automotive industry.

I'm not saying a free Ludicrous mode upgrade for P85D owners is the answer. Hell, if Tesla came out and said ANYTHING on the subject of the P85D not making the 691 HP spec at this point I'd be thrilled to at least have some communication from them on the matter. The problem here is that we have a spectrum of P85D owners between the two extremes: people who are definitely going to bring about a lawsuit against Tesla over the discrepancy if they don't do something to correct it; and people who don't care and are willing to let them have a complete pass on the matter. I'm personally somewhere in between. Maybe 20% closer to the former than the latter.

The problem with this is that Tesla has literally thousands of owners of the P85D who are in this spectrum of owners who bought while 691 HP was advertised. Eventually one or more of them is going to take action and it's not going to end well for Tesla. Even if by some miracle they manage to win the lawsuit in the end the damage to their reputation will already be done as it already is with many who are aware of this issue.

That's an interesting assertion. If only it were true.

Two of the most vocal posters on the "Tesla should do something about the missing horsepower" issue are Sorka and wk057. Sorka became active in the thread that started on 3/22 referenced above on 3/23. wk057 really dragged his feet, taking a whole three days longer to get involved, and started posting in that thread on 3/26. I've been a pretty vocal supporter as well, and I first posted in that thread on 4/13.

And though I'm not going back to check, I'm reasonably certain all three of us, as well as many others, had posted about this issue long before then, as I have a vague recollection of thinking that thread was "old news" when it was started. That thread somehow made the issue bigger news.

One reason there may be a perception that people talking about this now are just after a free upgrade is that once the upgrade was announced, there was something concrete Tesla could do to make things right. Before that, we knew we felt shorted, and we knew we wanted something done, but we didn't have an easy answer for what that was. Now we do.

I agree... with respect to 2-3 posters who've been complaining for a while. But this whole gang mentality that the "complaint letter" thread is promoting is new since then. So yes... I'm convinced that it's 100% about getting a free upgrade. And if people want to do that... fine. Put it on paper, send it to Tesla and let the chips fall where they may.

This whole thread seems to be more about making a lot of noise, whining, complaining, running down the company and generally trying to embarrass and upset Tesla, all hoping that maybe everyone will be granted a free upgrade but without taking the adult step of putting it on paper. If people feel that they've been hard done-by then they should put on the big-boy pants, contact the company and deal with it directly.

Personally, for the reasons I've listed, I have no interest.

- - - Updated - - -

The problem with this is that Tesla has literally thousands of owners of the P85D who are in this spectrum of owners who bought while 691 HP was advertised. Eventually one or more of them is going to take action and it's not going to end well for Tesla. Even if by some miracle they manage to win the lawsuit in the end the damage to their reputation will already be done as it already is with many who are aware of this issue.

So then do it. Stop talking about it and do it. An L upgrade is 5-6K. That's in the range of what small claim court will deal with.

Why not make the Ludicrous upgrade just the price of labor, at most? I guarantee that will quiet down 99% of those unhappy with the P85D real life power here. Tesla might lose a couple million on the cost of the parts, but this issue will be put to rest (most likely) and they will have retained the goodwill of most of the hardcore customers of their halo car. That is priceless for them.

And for those who don't want to "damage" the company - they don't have to partake in the upgrade. This is the best way to turn a bad situation into one where Tesla swoops down and saves the day.

The issue, which is heretofore untested by anyone is how to describe a car with two completely independent engines. If each engine is capable of producing 300HP at the crank, is it a 600HP car? What if they never actually produce max HP at the exact same time? There simply isn't a clear standard.

So... shouldn't Tesla explain that in a footnote or something?

You personally have repeatedly disrespected me (and others) on this topic, as have many others.

I've not said one thing in this thread related directly to this topic, which is the 'gathering of P85D owners for a world wide survey and complaint letter. So any disrespect you feel I've reciprocated (because I only give as good as I get) has nothing to do with the topic of the thread. As you've so vocally pointed out, I've commented on the off-topic nonsense. Same as you. :wink:

I've also said nothing in this thread related to the secondary topic of 'Tesla's claim of 691hp not being true, etc., etc.,'. I know you've made some assumptions about where I stand on the issue, but I'll remind you what happens when you assume things.

If someone feels my points are not valid, prove me wrong. Saying, "Oh but Tesla and Elon are great!" or "You should have known better than to trust those numbers!" or "You shouldn't be complaining!" or "Stop whining!" types of responses that litter these threads are not remotely helpful.

Nobody has to prove anyone wrong, there's no forum rule stating such. People may state their points, opinions et al without proof and without an I'm right/You're wrong tally. As well what you deem not remotely helpful may be viewed by someone else in a different light. Each of us takes something different away from the various thread discussions. You're entitled to opinions on the matter, but your continued vocal dismissal of other people and their opinions as nonsense, not helpful etc... is, to put it as politely as I can, not your place to say unless you've recently become the owner of this forum and are about to change the forum rules? If you don't find something helpful, then just pass it by.

For us customers outside the US this isn't as easy as for you guys so keep that in mind when commenting the danes here at least. If I had waited for an option to actually drive the P85D before ordering I would still be waiting for the car and it would be a 85D due to price increases in the meantime:) first testdrives in Norway started _after_ I had my car delivered... I believe the same applies for Denmark. I ordered at the same time as wk057. Car was delivered last day of February.

And what's wrong with waiting when the purchase hinges so much on a single specification? I don't know anyone who absolutely needed to have their Tesla at a certain point in time or else their world was going to implode. If I'm buying a computer based upon a specific MFLOPS rating, and that is the most important aspect of the computer and the only reason I'm buying it, then I would want some independent confirmation that the computer actually achieves the MFLOPS rating that is advertised by the manufacturer. Just because it's advertised doesn't negate caveat emptor.

So then do it. Stop talking about it and do it. An L upgrade is 5-6K. That's in the range of what small claim court will deal with.

Fun how you ignore everything else I've posted on this topic and resort to telling me to sue Tesla. lol.

- - - Updated - - -

I've not said one thing in this thread related directly to this topic, which is the 'gathering of P85D owners for a world wide survey and complaint letter. So any disrespect you feel I've reciprocated (because I only give as good as I get) has nothing to do with the topic of the thread. As you've so vocally pointed out, I've commented on the off-topic nonsense. Same as you. :wink:

I've also said nothing in this thread related to the secondary topic of 'Tesla's claim of 691hp not being true, etc., etc.,'. I know you've made some assumptions about where I stand on the issue, but I'll remind you what happens when you assume things.

Nobody has to prove anyone wrong, there's no forum rule stating such. People may state their points, opinions et al without proof and without an I'm right/You're wrong tally. As well what you deem not remotely helpful may be viewed by someone else in a different light. Each of us takes something different away from the various thread discussions. You're entitled to opinions on the matter, but your continued vocal dismissal of other people and their opinions as nonsense, not helpful etc... is, to put it as politely as I can, not your place to say unless you've recently become the owner of this forum and are about to change the forum rules? If you don't find something helpful, then just pass it by.

I'll just point out that I chuckled at this post since it's hypocritical and in the same paragraph contradicts itself.

People may state their points, opinions et al without proof and without an I'm right/You're wrong tally.

[it is] to put it as politely as I can, not your place to say unless you've recently become the owner of this forum

So, I'm entitled to and allowed to post my opinions, but... I'm also not allowed unless I own the forum?

*scratches head*

Who are you to decide what is my place to say and what is not?

Last edited:
It's utterly clear that the people griping here are simply angling for Tesla to provide a free L upgrade; the ball really only got going after the L was announced. Rather than more futzing around with 10ths, kW and rollouts on this website, why don't you just come out with it, make your case in writing to Tesla and be done with it?

I launched a formal complaint about the lack of performance from 0-100 km/h back in mid April. Tesla had my car and two others in for tests in late April, not able to find any faults, but not able to make the claimed 0-100 km/h either. Since then I have written numerous e-mails and later we have sent letters on behalf of 15 P85D owners, Tesla did not respond. This is not about a free upgrade, it is about getting what we paid for and we asked for that loooooooong before the L upgrade - so please, stop saying things that are not true. The only part that is really damaging for Tesla in this case, is that they have done nothing about these complaints for months.

So please apologize for accusing us of trying to get a free upgrade, nothing could be further from the truth

I launched a formal complaint about the lack of performance from 0-100 km/h back in mid April. Tesla had my car and two others in for tests in late April, not able to find any faults, but not able to make the claimed 0-100 km/h either. Since then I have written numerous e-mails and later we have sent letters on behalf of 15 P85D owners, Tesla did not respond. This is not about a free upgrade, it is about getting what we paid for and we asked for that loooooooong before the L upgrade - so please, stop saying things that are not true. The only part that is really damaging for Tesla in this case, is that they have done nothing about these complaints for months.

So please apologize for accusing us of trying to get a free upgrade, nothing could be further from the truth

Definitely in agreement.

On a side note, maybe I missed it, but did you or anyone post the portions of service invoices related to this testing? Just curious. It would be interesting to see something like "Concern: Customer states that the vehicle does not perform to advertised 0-100 kph times / Correction: Vehicle was tested and 0-100 kph was measured at x.xxx" on a service invoice. That would be very interesting actually.

Put it on paper, send it to Tesla and let the chips fall where they may.

I've been avoiding taking this on, because to do this right is going to be a bit of a challenge, but I have decided to take it on anyway.

I will compose a letter that I hope many of us, with differing views on this, will be able to sign. It may take me a couple of days, as I have a lot on my plate right now, and I'll want to run a draft of it by a few people before posting, but I --will-- get this done in the next few days. At that point, I will start a new thread with the letter, and post pointers to it in the other relevant threads.

In the letter thread I will seek signatures. Posters willing to sign on openly may post their support, and then send me their name (and VIN number if they own a Tesla), privately. Those wishing to sign on to the letter without it being known in the forum may just send me the information privately. Names and VIN numbers will, of course, be shared only in the letter, which will be addressed to Elon Musk.

I will seek guidance from Bonnie with respect to how best make sure the letter reaches Elon Musk, or his staff. (I haven't run this by Bonnie yet. If she is unable to provide this guidance, or is not comfortable doing so because she does not agree with what we are doing, I will endeavor to get the information elsewhere.)

It is my intention that this letter will be written in such a way that people with widely varying views on this topic will be able to comfortably sign it. That's going to be the tricky part. Once the letter is written, and the new thread started, I imagine I'll collect signatures for at least a week, and possibly longer, before actually sending the letter.

This is not meant to step on the toes of the Danish group that started this thread. The letter that I'll be writing will certainly be broad enough to include that group, but the Danes have some specific complaints that do not apply to everyone, which is why I think the letter I will write needs to be written in addition to anything they may be doing.

More in a couple of days. (Perhaps sooner.)

Last edited:
I agree... with respect to 2-3 posters who've been complaining for a while. But this whole gang mentality that the "complaint letter" thread is promoting is new since then. So yes... I'm convinced that it's 100% about getting a free upgrade. And if people want to do that... fine. Put it on paper, send it to Tesla and let the chips fall where they may.

This whole thread seems to be more about making a lot of noise, whining, complaining, running down the company and generally trying to embarrass and upset Tesla, all hoping that maybe everyone will be granted a free upgrade but without taking the adult step of putting it on paper. If people feel that they've been hard done-by then they should put on the big-boy pants, contact the company and deal with it directly.

Personally, for the reasons I've listed, I have no interest.

- - - Updated - - -

No this is not new, been going on since April in Denmark, but since Tesla did not react to any letters or emails regarding the issues we have, the next logic step was to take it semi public, which we thought was better that contacting the media. The media would have a field day with our data, but that may not be in Teslas best interest. So no, this thread has nothing to do with a free ludicrous upgrade, which Tesla top management knows all to well.

- - - Updated - - -

Definitely in agreement.

On a side note, maybe I missed it, but did you or anyone post the portions of service invoices related to this testing? Just curious. It would be interesting to see something like "Concern: Customer states that the vehicle does not perform to advertised 0-100 kph times / Correction: Vehicle was tested and 0-100 kph was measured at x.xxx" on a service invoice. That would be very interesting actually.

We did not get any service invoice regarding the testing. I did not even get an answer even after several emails. I just got an answer last week saying that the car did not show anything wrong ?!?!? However I have the REST data from their tests and they were not even close to what it should be. Same times and kW as when do my own tests. I must say that Tesla Denmark tried to take this serious. They initiated the testing them selfs, they supplied us with loaner cars and picked up and delivered the car back. But it is clear that they are not allowed to say anything to us - at all.

- - - Updated - - -

I've been avoiding taking this on, because to do this right is going to be a bit of a challenge, but I have decided to take it on anyway.

I will compose a letter that I hope many of us, with differing views on this, will be able to sign. It may take me a couple of days, as I have a lot on my plate right now, and I'll want to run a draft of it by a few people before posting, but I --will-- get this done in the next few days. At that point, I will start a new thread with the letter, and post pointers to it in the other relevant threads.

In the letter thread I will seek signatures. Posters willing to sign on openly may post their support, and then send me their name (and VIN number if they own a Tesla), privately. Those wishing to sign on to the letter without it being known in the forum may just send me the information privately. Names and VIN numbers will, of course, be shared only in the letter, which will be addressed to Elon Musk.

I will seek guidance from Bonnie with respect to how best make sure the letter reaches Elon Musk, or his staff. (I haven't run this by Bonnie yet. If she is unable to provide this guidance, or is not comfortable doing so because she does not agree with what we are doing, I will endeavor to get the information elsewhere.)

It is my intention that this letter will be written in such a way that people with widely varying views on this topic will be able to comfortably sign it. That's going to be the tricky part. Once the letter is written, and the new thread started, I imagine I'll collect signatures for at least a week, and possibly longer, before actually sending the letter.

This is not meant to step on the toes of the Danish group that started this thread. The letter that I'll be writing will certainly be broad enough to include that group, but the Danes have some specific complaints that do not apply to everyone, which is why I think the letter I will write needs to be written in addition to anything they may be doing.

More in a couple of days. (Perhaps sooner.)

Sounds like a good plan.

And what's wrong with waiting when the purchase hinges so much on a single specification? I don't know anyone who absolutely needed to have their Tesla at a certain point in time or else their world was going to implode. If I'm buying a computer based upon a specific MFLOPS rating, and that is the most important aspect of the computer and the only reason I'm buying it, then I would want some independent confirmation that the computer actually achieves the MFLOPS rating that is advertised by the manufacturer. Just because it's advertised doesn't negate caveat emptor.
Hehe, didnt write it was impossible;) Just not as easy as for you americans who enjoy much shorter waittimes for delivery:) and as said a few times I would have bought the car if it only had 550hp spec as well.

The computer-reference is actually quite nice, but I see it from another perspective. Had we waited until we could test-drive we would have received our cars after ludicrous had been announced;) That would have been a much bigger bummer for me personally... At least now I've had the top dog for a little while. Tiny bit of comfort there. Just like in the computer world where buying immediately after launch at least provides knowledge that you have the best for a short while...

@sandpiper you are so full of FUD about the dates etc here that its just embarrasing. There was threads here on TMC about the 691hp claims immediately after the D-event, and most of the early videos was analyzed to death regarding KW-meter. You also conveniantly ignore the fact that the danes sent two letters to Tesla _before_ the ludicrous-mode was launched. I believe wk057 also has stated numerous times about his comms with Tesla on this and other matters. Something you also conveniantly ignore.

Personally I was in a state of denial for a long time here and wanted to believe that krisg81, sorka and wk057+++ simply was missing something. But over time the evidence got to much. The roll-out issue sealed it for me as the dragtimes videos, graphs etc turned out to actually confirm the fact that 0-100kph times was never even close...