Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can anyone actually get summon to work at all?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this an American version? Or a newer firmware than I'm running? I've only been able to activate summon through the app.

(In Canada summon is different... the key fob has to be close to the car for it to work. Our government inaction.)

There is an setting somewhere that controls it. I can use the app but it just does not work well. The key fob works every time, no issues.

Works everytime for me. I use it at work to front into a tight spot - I don't have wifi. I stand by the driver's side, near the passenger door. The app takes ~5 seconds in the summon screen to display forward/reverse options. I've got no complaints.

I mostly use it when I get out of the car and I have not parked in line with the white paint on the street (hard to see from inside), or if I want to move to the next parking space forward w/o getting back in the car. I always used to get a message that it couldn't Summon as my phone's sensor was obscured. What? No longer an issue, same phone, so likely just a bug in Tesla software.

-Randy

You're in the US which is why it works for you. In Canada there's no setting to allow this, we have no choice and can only use the app for summon.

That makes sense. The option isn’t available.

FOB control sould really work a LOT better than the app, which almost never works on the first (or second) try.

Canadian regulators are stupid conservative.

Reactions: Vawlkus and lukex4
Have been trying it more often and it only works for me if I'm standing right beside the charge port on my Model S. If I get more than a foot or two away it gets super spotty super fast. I actually used it for real yesterday when I got out of the car in a parking lot and realized I should have pulled ahead another foot ... someone walking by after parking their car saw me do it and the expression on their face was priceless.

I have basically only got it to work about 5-7 times in 40-60 attempts. I have no idea how they are determining distance, but even when I hold the phone over top of the front window, it says I'm too far away. (Model 3, Android phone, car on wifi or cell (no difference); car now on 2019.12.1.2 -- was hoping for fixes for this issue, but no luck, still completely broken).

Does anyone know which branch of the Canadian or Ontarian governments approves these "regulations" for this functionality (the ridiculously close proximity requirement) -- I'd like to start harassing my MP/MPP about it as well?

Previously, I found it too slow to connect to be very useful but at some point a couple of months ago it started connecting quickly and reliably and now I use it quite a bit, mostly when I washing the car I can move it in/out of the carport as needed depending upon whether I need sun or shade. Works great and I surprised my 85-year-old neighbor one morning.

I have it configured so I don't have to hold down the "dead man switch" because I found that a little tedious. Remember, if anything went wrong, you can always cancel summon by touching any door handle so I'm not too worried about losing wireless control.

Previously, I found it too slow to connect to be very useful but at some point a couple of months ago it started connecting quickly and reliably and now I use it quite a bit, mostly when I washing the car I can move it in/out of the carport as needed depending upon whether I need sun or shade. Works great and I surprised my 85-year-old neighbor one morning.

I have it configured so I don't have to hold down the "dead man switch" because I found that a little tedious. Remember, if anything went wrong, you can always cancel summon by touching any door handle so I'm not too worried about losing wireless control.
How do you configure it so not to need to operate like a dead man switch?

I'm having very similar problems as discussed here... VERY unreliable summon into and out of my garage.

First, it takes a bunch of attempts to "connect to car".

Then, once I get the forward / reverse buttons, I attempt an action, and 1/2 of the time nothing happens.

The other 1/2 of the time, the car will startup, lights on, and then immediately shut back down. Sometimes I get an error message, sometimes nothing.

Outside of my garage, I have more success (about 70% of the time it works), so I'm wondering if my garage is too tight? I can pull into my garage / exit just fine on my own, so I don't know why this is an issue for summon.

I'm having very similar problems as discussed here... VERY unreliable summon into and out of my garage.

First, it takes a bunch of attempts to "connect to car".

Then, once I get the forward / reverse buttons, I attempt an action, and 1/2 of the time nothing happens.

The other 1/2 of the time, the car will startup, lights on, and then immediately shut back down. Sometimes I get an error message, sometimes nothing.

Outside of my garage, I have more success (about 70% of the time it works), so I'm wondering if my garage is too tight? I can pull into my garage / exit just fine on my own, so I don't know why this is an issue for summon.

Do you have poor cell reception in your garage?

AP3 may enable us to have Enhanced Summon :)? Living on a hope lol.

upload_2019-8-22_9-25-52.png

How do you configure it so not to need to operate like a dead man switch?

You configure it on the car's touchscreen. There is a setting for requiring continuous press or not. I have it so I only need to touch "forward" or "reverse" and it will travel until it comes within 8" of an object, I push the "stop" button or it has travelled the maximum distance. I've set mine to operate at the minimum distance to other obstacles and there is also a setting that limits how far the car can travel in one summon. I've set it to the maximum which I believe is 40 feet.

It works well as long as you have decent cell reception and there are no objects in the way of the sensors.

After some initial issues, I worked out that if I stand next to the car, by the back door, it works well. I use it daily to get the car out of the garage. And walk behind it as it's driving forward.
I agree. Suspect Summon uses Bluetooth to talk to phone, and is very particular about signal strength. Make sure your body doesn't block radio signals from your phone. I try to hold iPhone by edges so my fingers don't block the antennae in the back of the phone.

Summon works most of the time I use it, after pause to connect.