Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can anyone confirm/deny this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is a M3P- so 18" tires. 2" lower would not make it through our snows.
It's 47 miles round trip to work with about 42 miles of interstate. Trips are almost all interstate so 80% highway.
This includes winter months often below zero F with coldest days at -20F when range drops to 250 miles. And hot summer days near 100F that also kill range.
So if you live in San Francisco or London, your results should be much better.
Brill, great results for your circumstances, and no doubt encouraging to us in the UK with distinctly average weather year round.

Are you using stock tyres or something else/winters for winter?

Below is a picture of the settings i was using on that website.
capture-png.443371

Looks fine. 293 wH/mile is fairly conservative.

I wouldn't set goal arrival at 1% ... for planning I can see where you are coming from, but I suggest you need 20 miles (10% maybe) of contingency. If you get torrential rain you'll get there on 1% :)

You could ditch the 5% degradation for a new car?

Not spotted it before, but for Model-3 I think you need "Tesla CCS" rather than "Supercharger"? otherwise you might arrive at Supercharger that has not been converted? (Model-3 in-car Satnav won't offer you that ...)

I get this (with 5% Battery Degradation but 10% Goal arrival) [I left the 93 MPH max speed, ABRP won't exceed speed limit, so should make no difference reducing to 70 MPH in UK]

TeslaFi05.jpg

so it would get there "in one go" (my example starts at 90% rather than 100%, arrives at 14% after adding 8%).

Perhaps you are seeing something different? In which case maybe "something afoot"?

In reality you will hit traffic/roadworks, which will improve your range.

Personally I wouldn't stop to charge above 70% ... but stopping later in the journey would require getting a bit further off the road, or routing via South Mimms rather than the old North Orbital. Waze sometimes takes me each of those routes, so barring stationary traffic there probably isn't much in it (forcing a stop at South Mimms [1h55m into journey] adds one minute to journey time, even though it charges more and arrives at 16% ... the charging will be faster at lower SOC)

Interesting conversion with my Daughter asking how she as getting on with EV, and whether the SR+ was a hassle to have to charge on long journeys, and the response was "Nice to know that I have to stop for a break every 2 hours, before I would solider on and mentally be thinking "Got a 5 hours stretch to do"

• Helpful
Reactions: Roy W.
Thanks for the indepth post.
Ideally i'd like to arrive with over 10% just so i could get myself to a local charger without having to panic too much. At this rate i may have to factor in a stop which would be a bit of a pain.
I'm hoping the website is just overly cautious and in a real world run it may do better than above. Shame i cant test it prior to buying!

Thanks for the indepth post.
Ideally i'd like to arrive with over 10% just so i could get myself to a local charger without having to panic too much. At this rate i may have to factor in a stop which would be a bit of a pain.
I'm hoping the website is just overly cautious and in a real world run it may do better than above. Shame i cant test it prior to buying!
Have you considered the LR AWD also, or heart set on the P? If you are buying the P, you could consider switching to smaller wheels/less sticky tyres also.

I did a shortish trip yesterday of 91 real miles driven which resulted in 106 miles of range being consumed. This was driving as I would normally ie not mindful of range with lots of M25 and Blackwell tunnel traffic using air con and music throughout.

I thought this consumption versus real miles was pretty good.

Reactions: AMC7
Ideally i'd like to arrive with over 10% just so i could get myself to a local charger without having to panic too much.

If? you can charge on 13 AMP when you get there that would be about 6 MPH added, and even if you would prefer to arrive with enough to get back to charger that could be the "backup" if you were running low.

I did a shortish trip yesterday of 91 real miles

Suggest you don't base Range on any short trips. IMHO the only real valid test for "max range" is one done at 70+MPH on motorway, with no delays, where your journey is actually close to "max range". The set-off energy penalty is averaged over the journey, and the longer the journey the less that has impact. Also driving at 70 MPH the energy for climate is significantly different to e.g. 30 MPH town driving (so, for me, any Combined Cycle test like WLTP is useless for max range prediction). Then, in reality, on most such trips there ill be traffic/roadworks delays, and they will give you more range, which will solve any range anxiety.

On all the days you are not driving out of range (presumably "most day, for most people" :) ) and provided you have home charging, then you have nothing to worry about on all those days, and no more smelly forecourt filling and time lost for ICE :) So for those the Combine Cycle figures will give you an indication of actual running costs.

If? you can charge on 13 AMP when you get there that would be about 6 MPH added, and even if you would prefer to arrive with enough to get back to charger that could be the "backup" if you were running low.

Suggest you don't base Range on any short trips. IMHO the only real valid test for "max range" is one done at 70+MPH on motorway, with no delays, where your journey is actually close to "max range". The set-off energy penalty is averaged over the journey, and the longer the journey the less that has impact. Also driving at 70 MPH the energy for climate is significantly different to e.g. 30 MPH town driving (so, for me, any Combined Cycle test like WLTP is useless for max range prediction). Then, in reality, on most such trips there ill be traffic/roadworks delays, and they will give you more range, which will solve any range anxiety.

On all the days you are not driving out of range (presumably "most day, for most people" :) ) and provided you have home charging, then you have nothing to worry about on all those days, and no more smelly forecourt filling and time lost for ICE :) So for those the Combine Cycle figures will give you an indication of actual running costs.

I wasn’t testing maximum range.

Re the original article vs my limited experience of Model S only, I'd take it with a hefty pinch of salt.

It's not like I've been trying to be economical particularly, and have had to remind myself there are plenty of cameras out there, although I have hit traffic. Yet my WH/mile in the bigger, heavier car is lower than theirs.

When I've looked at the journey graph I've always exceeded rated consumption but I still doubt I've ever got this close to quoted economy over 1500 miles in an ICE.

So I take that article with a hefty pinch of salt and I'd be gobsmacked if even for a fairly motorway-heavy journey in a Model 3 you couldn't keep the WH/mile down a fair bit lower than they have, especially with a little effort.

All that said, I anticipate a fairly fast and traffic-free 200 mile journey in a couple of days so I doubt that'll come in at 300WH/mile.

Re the Golf article, he sounds a bit like those people who constantly blame the satnav for their troubles. They seem to forget it's the human that makes the bloody decision. Expected range drops quickly from 130 to 100 when you've 110 to go? He probably only needed to knock 5mph off his speed. That said, his woes with different chargers are often echoed on here.

As a point of note I just drove my wife's focus home from work. Left with it saying 92 miles range, got home (16 miles) and I was down to 30...and no I wasn't razzing it, I actually averaged 47mpg for the journey...moral of the story...range estimates are b**"ocks

Re the original article vs my limited experience of Model S only, I'd take it with a hefty pinch of salt.

It's not like I've been trying to be economical particularly, and have had to remind myself there are plenty of cameras out there, although I have hit traffic. Yet my WH/mile in the bigger, heavier car is lower than theirs.

When I've looked at the journey graph I've always exceeded rated consumption but I still doubt I've ever got this close to quoted economy over 1500 miles in an ICE.

So I take that article with a hefty pinch of salt and I'd be gobsmacked if even for a fairly motorway-heavy journey in a Model 3 you couldn't keep the WH/mile down a fair bit lower than they have, especially with a little effort.

All that said, I anticipate a fairly fast and traffic-free 200 mile journey in a couple of days so I doubt that'll come in at 300WH/mile.

Re the Golf article, he sounds a bit like those people who constantly blame the satnav for their troubles. They seem to forget it's the human that makes the bloody decision. Expected range drops quickly from 130 to 100 when you've 110 to go? He probably only needed to knock 5mph off his speed. That said, his woes with different chargers are often echoed on here.

My 200 mile fairly fast journey used a bit less than 350Wh/mile in a Raven Model S. Good weather conditions but otherwise a pretty energy intensive journey. In an ICE I'd be consuming way over quoted consumption on that journey. 43mpg +/- 1mpg in my 2.2 diesel mondeo but with gentler accelerations/decelerations. Whole life average sits so far at 305 although I expect that to rise a bit. I think their 313 (is it?) should be an expected average for those not trying in a Model S. So it surely equates to ragging a Model 3.

From experience so far, My M3 LR AWD says 320 miles when fully charged, and I drove 240 miles and still had about 75 miles left in tank when I stopped to charge. This is mostly motorway driving with speed set at 70mph...
Seem pretty accurate to me - I could obviously get more range at lower speed if needed (but I could have kept my Leaf to do that... ;))

Drove from Worthing to north Norfolk yesterday(190 miles) trip energy graph predicted 32%remaining on arrival. Stopped at Thetford sc to top up and the energy graph was estimating 42% on arrival 48 miles away. Pretty pleased with that. p- by the way averaged about 240 wh/mile

Reactions: Tyberzann
So long as the Tesla count down of miles is more accurate than my Fiesta I'll be happy. I am in the countryside. I was at the top of a rise/hill and had 41 indicated miles to empty. Just for fun I coasted down for a mile down to my house - no accelerator use at all. I arrived home and it said I only had 26 miles of range left!! Our nearest petrol station as about 18 miles away ... talk about range anxiety .. I'm looking forward to leaving home with a "full tank" of electrons!

Reactions: Roy W.