Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I pair a spare Model S keyfob to a Model 3? Or are they different?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before I got my Model 3 I was convinced I would need and like a keyfob, and I was planning to get one as soon as they were available here (initially they weren’t). It took me about a week after getting the car to realise I didn’t need or want a fob.

Probably the only situation where the fob is an advantage is opening the frunk. It’s a minor annoyance to either have to open up the Tesla App or open the car door to open the frunk via the console.

I use the Fob to open the frunk. Mainly cause for supermarket small shopping with the two shopping hooks in the frunk it holds the bags well to stop stuff rolling around. So yeah, walking to the car, double click in the pocket and it opens up.

Reactions: Willy3988
I am struggling to love the 'phone as key'/bluetooth - it's a bit hit and miss compared to the old model S fob. Particularly when opening the non-drivers door first.

I feel a bit stupid when I try to open the door and it doesn't work first time. Especially when I am already doing hand gymnastics to manage the door handles.

By the sounds of things the fob will not solve the issue as it is still bluetooth? - or perhaps it is a phone issue once the phone is 'less awake'

Last edited:
I am struggling to love the 'phone as key'/bluetooth - it's a bit hit and miss compared to the old model S fob. Particularly when opening the non-drivers door first.

I feel a bit stupid when I try to open the door and it doesn't work first time. Especially when I am already doing hand gymnastics to manage the door handles.

By the sounds of things the fob will not solve the issue as it is still bluetooth? - or perhaps it is a phone issue once the phone is 'less awake'
I keep wanting to buy the KeyFob to see if it’s better than the damn phone. My iPhone 12 won’t unlock the MIC M3SR+ Unless the screen is awake. I honestly find my old KeyFob from my Honda was simpler and more reliable. One day when I’ve got $235 to spare…we’ll see.

Reactions: mike_j
Oh so for that, yep, it's on all the time. So with the iPhone it needs to be awake, with the keyfob, its walk up and it opens.
With the Pixel 6 you just walk up and open the car.

There might be a setting on iPhones to allow the Tesla app to use Bluetooth in the background? From looking at other threads, it seems like the Tesla app needs "Location: Always", and also Settings -> General -> Background App Refresh enabled.

Reactions: johnchidgey
I keep wanting to buy the KeyFob to see if it’s better than the damn phone. My iPhone 12 won’t unlock the MIC M3SR+ Unless the screen is awake. I honestly find my old KeyFob from my Honda was simpler and more reliable. One day when I’ve got $235 to spare…we’ll see.
You have the phone set wrong. Rock solid on Model 3 and S Refresh. Once in a blue moon is might fail, like one time I started an iPhone update as I walked out to the car. Oops.

Reactions: adee
With the Pixel 6 you just walk up and open the car.

There might be a setting on iPhones to allow the Tesla app to use Bluetooth in the background? From looking at other threads, it seems like the Tesla app needs "Location: Always", and also Settings -> General -> Background App Refresh enabled.
Alas I have long since checked many threads and as you suggest, the settings above are set correctly.

You don’t need “Background App Refresh” enabled on an iPhone for it to work to open the car. The door controls are via Bluetooth not mobile or WiFi data. Very rarely my phone fails to be recognised and I can‘t open the doors, turning Bluetooth off then on again usually fixes it.

I have “Background App Refresh“ explicitly turned off on my phone, otherwise every open App continues to pull mobile data In the background. I got massively stung by that on an overseas trip a number of years ago, and have turned it off ever since.