Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can owners that purchased $2K AP confirm if Auto Lane Change is included please?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i just paid $2k for AP 1 yesterday for my 2016.5 MS. i'm not sure if that's the correct deal or a good deal. however, i can tell you when the AP is engaged and i want to change lane, it will simply change to the lane i directed to with my blinker. is this feature only on AP 1?? im confused by this...or did they activate something else?

i just paid $2k for AP 1 yesterday for my 2016.5 MS. i'm not sure if that's the correct deal or a good deal. however, i can tell you when the AP is engaged and i want to change lane, it will simply change to the lane i directed to with my blinker. is this feature only on AP 1?? im confused by this...or did they activate something else?

Autopilot on AP1 hardware already did that without Enhanced Autopilot (EAP). You can’t buy Full Self Driving (FSD) on AP1 cars, so I’m assuming they’ll leave Auto Lane Change (ALC) in the AP1 software package.

It’s a bummer they removed ALC from the Basic AP package for AP2.x cars, it feels like a step down going from AP1 on my P85D to AP2 on my upcoming P3D. I understand why they moved EAP features to the FSD package, but ALC was a step too far in my opinion.

Do you also have Autopark and Summon on your S now?

• Love
Reactions: moonchic73
Autopilot on AP1 hardware already did that without Enhanced Autopilot (EAP). You can’t buy Full Self Driving (FSD) on AP1 cars, so I’m assuming they’ll leave Auto Lane Change (ALC) in the AP1 software package.

It’s a bummer they removed ALC from the Basic AP package for AP2.x cars, it feels like a step down going from AP1 on my P85D to AP2 on my upcoming P3D. I understand why they moved EAP features to the FSD package, but ALC was a step too far in my opinion.

yes, i have both Summon and Autopark, hasnt use autopark yet but Summon works well.

I think removing ALC was a big step up.

It’s much smarter and safer for the turn signal to disengage autosteer than to commence a lane change.

Honestly, who needs ALC? It entails way more risk than benefit, recognizing its performance challenges. And the car is really super easy to actually, like, drive some. The new signal functionality makes regaining manual steering less jerky than overcoming autosteer resistance. It’s just right.

Now if we could just fix the TACC resume speed design aberration, the $2K AP upgrade would be perfect.

Reactions: JBT66
Stopped by a local Tesla showroom today, and the reps claim that Auto Lane Change (ALC) is still a standard function in base Autopilot (at least for all Model 3's). And my account still shows AP for the discounted $2,000 as of today, with FSD add on still priced at $3,000. Can someone who recently purchased the base AP on their Model 3 confirm?

Stopped by a local Tesla showroom today, and the reps claim that Auto Lane Change (ALC) is still a standard function in base Autopilot (at least for all Model 3's). And my account still shows AP for the discounted $2,000 as of today, with FSD add on still priced at $3,000. Can someone who recently purchased the base AP on their Model 3 confirm?
Auto lane change is NOT included on Model 3. I bought AP and it was very basic so I decided to spring for FSD. That’s when the auto lane change was added along with park and sunmon. The new AP is very basic but still very useful for staying in a single lane.

Auto lane change is NOT included on Model 3. I bought AP and it was very basic so I decided to spring for FSD. That’s when the auto lane change was added along with park and sunmon. The new AP is very basic but still very useful for staying in a single lane.

I second this statement. I don't like it as I found it quite useful. Maybe they'll add ALC back into basic AP.

It’s much smarter and safer for the turn signal to disengage autosteer than to commence a lane change.

Depends on your use. Personally, I like ALC and use it on long trips on Interstate 5 thru the CA Central Valley. (I-5 is a two lane hi way for miles.) I typically stay in the right lane with AP on set to xx, and go into the left lane to pass trucks, which can be frequent. With ALC, no need to engage/disengage AP. OTOH, never use it in town or commute.

But in answer to the OP, ALC is not included in the ver of AP that is available for $2k.

I've found the current iteration of ALC to be glitchy, slow and unreliable at best on So Cal freeways. You guys with basic AP really aren't missing out here.
Exactly. When I need to change lane I need to change quickly. Waiting for ALC to do it is simply too slow for my likes. About 90% of the time Autosteer disengages anyways when I need to change lane. I'd be fine with the $2k AP.

We purchased AP before the price hike, and my car no longer does ALC. Austin from tech support said it's no longer included in AP.

Pretty upset as forking over 2k for what is essentially lane assist (that they dont charge extra for on other vehicles) is ridiculous.