Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Tesla add Radar Back at a Later Date?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The software on vision cars doesn’t use radar, so installing it will do nothing. The question is, why would you want it? IIHS has already rated the vision cars as safer than radar cars. The only thing radar would get you is conflicting sensor info which leads to more phantom braking… and a higher price tag.
Vision and non-vision cars can (and generally do since mid last year) run the same firmware.

Use of a radar is simply determined by a car's configuration (0=radar, 2=no-radar).

Hmmm, don't think so. The 2021 and 2022 models both have Good for the MYP headlights and Acceptable for the MYLR. And I specifically recall that there were postings about them having to reevaluate the ratings with the vision-only cars (which is why the 2021 rating says for cars built after April 2021). I'm not even sure what the original debate was about, but whatever.
Another person who literally will not read the source material. Unbelievable.

CleanTechnica Article - "In particular, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) downgraded its safety rating for the Model Y until it could complete its own tests of the Pure Vision technology. Now it has done just that and concluded the new system actually is better than the prior system, which used a blend of radar and camera sensors. As a result, it has reinstated the Model Y’s Top Safety Pick + rating."
Stop reading articles written by morons and go directly to the source:

“For the lower-tier TOP SAFETY PICK award, at least one good or acceptable headlight system must be available. For the higher-tier TOP SAFETY PICK+, good or acceptable headlights must be standard across all trims.”

Hmmm, don't think so. The 2021 and 2022 models both have Good for the MYP headlights and Acceptable for the MYLR. And I specifically recall that there were postings about them having to reevaluate the ratings with the vision-only cars (which is why the 2021 rating says for cars built after April 2021). I'm not even sure what the original debate was about, but whatever.
You are incorrect per IIHS.

“For the lower-tier TOP SAFETY PICK award, at least one good or acceptable headlight system must be available. For the higher-tier TOP SAFETY PICK+, good or acceptable headlights must be standard across all trims.”

Stop reading articles written by morons and go directly to the source:

Isn't superior a higher rating than advanced?...

IIHS - "...the standard front crash prevention system on 2021-22 Tesla Model 3 vehicles built after April 2021 also earns a superior rating in both crash avoidance tests, following a software update. Vehicles built earlier earn an advanced rating in the vehicle-to-pedestrian evaluation."

Isn't superior a higher rating than advanced?...

IIHS - "...the standard front crash prevention system on 2021-22 Tesla Model 3 vehicles built after April 2021 also earns a superior rating in both crash avoidance tests, following a software update. Vehicles built earlier earn an advanced rating in the vehicle-to-pedestrian evaluation."
You should read and be sure to comprehend how the IIHS rating system works. I don’t even think you know what you’re trying to communicate at this point.

You should read and be sure to comprehend how the IIHS rating system works. I don’t even think you know what you’re trying to communicate at this point.
I'm not sure why you have to give me an attitude rather than correcting me if I'm wrong. I am looking at the IIHS tests and their testing standards to try to learn more. In my interpretation, superior seems to be a higher rating than advanced based on their definition - IIHS -"For a superior rating, a vehicle must have an autobrake system that can avoid a crash or substantially reduce speeds in both tests. For an advanced rating, a vehicle must have autobrake and avoid a crash or reduce speeds by at least 5 mph in 1 of 2 tests." Again, if I am wrong then explaining the difference would be helpful and appreciated rather than just trying to insult me.

I'm not sure why you have to give me an attitude rather than correcting me if I'm wrong. I am looking at the IIHS tests and their testing standards to try to learn more. In my interpretation, superior seems to be a higher rating than advanced based on their definition - IIHS -"For a superior rating, a vehicle must have an autobrake system that can avoid a crash or substantially reduce speeds in both tests. For an advanced rating, a vehicle must have autobrake and avoid a crash or reduce speeds by at least 5 mph in 1 of 2 tests." Again, if I am wrong then explaining the difference would be helpful and appreciated rather than just trying to insult me.
It has been explained to you several times. I’m not sure why you are not comprehending.

“Superior” is a rating tier that both the vision and non-vision equipped vehicles fall into.

“TOP TIER SAFETY PICK” is an award
“TOP TIER SAFETY PICK+“ is also an award
The differentiating factor between the two awards is the presence of a uniform headlight configuration across all trims.

The 2021 vehicles receive the TOP TIER SAFETY+ award because of the standardized headlight configuration.

It has been explained to you several times. I’m not sure why you are not comprehending.

“Superior” is a rating tier that both the vision and non-vision equipped vehicles fall into.

“TOP TIER SAFETY PICK” is an award
“TOP TIER SAFETY PICK+“ is also an award
The differentiating factor between the two awards is the presence of a uniform headlight configuration across all trims.

The 2021 vehicles receive the TOP TIER SAFETY+ award because of the standardized headlight configuration.
I wasn't trying to argue or ignore what you are saying, I was just stating where I got my info and why I interpreted it the way I did. Sorry if I got it wrong, but if I am wrong them I would like to figure out more about the issue and this is a forum for discussion. I comprehend what you are saying and appreciate the info. I understand now that the + is just about headlights and not a different collision safety tier. I guess where my remaining confusion (radar v. vision) comes from is that the IIHS said "vehicles built after April 2021 also earns a superior rating in both crash avoidance tests, following a software update. Vehicles built earlier earn an advanced rating in the vehicle-to-pedestrian evaluation." The way I read this / articles referencing this info, and based on their definitions and test standards, it looked like they were saying that the earlier model was rated lower in the vehicle-to-pedestrian test. So this led me to believe that there was a difference, especially with so many others saying the same. Again, if I'm wrong, sorry and thanks for the correction (minus the attitude, no offense). But this is obviously something that is confusing for some, including me. I was simply trying to discuss this info and point out how I read it rather than just saying ok and continuing to not fully understand why they use use the different ratings in the refernced quotes.

How could that be done?

From the last inspection, the radar harness/wirings are still there so you just need to install the radar into its own place. The next difficult part is how you persuade Tesla to use it with its software.

If Tesla refuses to use the software for radar, you can hire your own Autopilot team to do it. It only costs money but it is technically doable.

You might as well use comma.ai if hiring your own Autopilot team might be out of your budget.

• Funny
Reactions: Matias
Pretty cool that you figured that out. If Tesla removes radar functionality from all cars in a future software update do you think you will still be able to find a way to use it?
No, if its coded out of the neural nets there's not much anyone can do about that. But personally I believe they wont ever be turning off radar entirely - the sensor has merit in the safety suite. For now it is very much used and greatly improves performance in my experience.

You are incorrect per IIHS.

Whatever, I give up, You stated that the change in rating was due to them having the same headlights across all trim levels when they clearly don't. But I have other stuff to do so not going to debate any longer. You win, congrats.

Whatever, I give up, You stated that the change in rating was due to them having the same headlights across all trim levels when they clearly don't. But I have other stuff to do so not going to debate any longer. You win, congrats.
That’s what IIHS says. If you don’t like it or don’t believe it, take it up with them.

No need to make up stories to fill the gaps.

Right now in the dead of winter I cannot drive for more than 10 minutes and the cameras are rendered useless. Please explain how "vision" only will work in winter weather. Another really great invention for cars driven in California only.

Luckily both my Y and S have radar, no issues in the mess of winter. Most of my past cars received errors in the mess of winter yet the Tesla has been great which is now on its second winter. I do not have vision only however I fail to see how it can compete with the advantage of added radar support backing up or supplementing missing camera info.

How so? Radar is turned off in my model y and I don’t notice a difference in performance
You signed an agreement to upgrade to a vision only software suite as part of a beta advanced auto pilot program leaving Tesla harmless for any malfunctions of their code. You might not have read it.

Such an "upgrade" will not occur to radar capable Model Y’s without owner consent.