Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can we now expect a 360° "birdview" parking camera ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you can expect to get dropped at the door and have the car park itself? Tesla says you don't need bird's eye. The argument that other manufacturers have better tech then Tesla is over. Lol
I paid for this "drop off and meet back at the curb" feature a year and half ago. It's called Tesla AP1.0. Still waiting...

I paid for this "drop off and meet back at the curb" feature a year and half ago. It's called Tesla AP1.0. Still waiting...
People keep saying this and I can't find anywhere where Tesla ever said this. The only place even close I can find is Elon Musk's comments in the original Autopilot announcement/rollout where he said they expect that Autopilot would eventually be able to do that. He never said that the originally released autopilot (what we call AP1) would be able to do that. Is there a place you can reference where Tesla said AP1 would have this capability?

Reactions: mblakele
This is one of the most missed things coming from other capable vehicles. The 360/top down view is AWESOME for any and all parking situations, especially in the front. I don't trust the parking sensors to see a low curb, honestly, so my parking is not optimal in the Tesla. It's a big car, and a top down/360 camera really would help those of us who like to park very specifically to avoid dings, sticking out, etc.

That and AC seats (f you Tesla for announcing it 2 weeks after I took delivery) are by far the 2 biggest things I miss from other cars.

And proper blind spot detection

he said they expect that Autopilot would eventually be able to do that. He never said that the originally released autopilot (what we call AP1) would be able to do that
When he said those words, the only "Autopilot" that existed was the one he just announced, and he said it in the context of continuously improving its software to add features. A reasonable person would take it to mean the Autopilot system he just announced will eventually be able to do the things he said.

It's funny this topic came up. We leased a new Infiniti QX60 two weeks ago with this feature and my wife was saying how much she loves it. My response "my Tesla is gonna have this too" (I'm getting mine next week). Kinda surprised now and disappointed we don't have this feature. I told my wife this and she said "that's ridiculous for a car that cost that much". After my test drive, she told me she's not a huge fan of the MS but I explained to her were paying for the technology and design. Ok, so we're paying for the technology and design minus birds eye parking camera :)

This is a feature that could exist if it were enabled. I have become semi-adept at using the aural beeps to evaluate front distances.
My ancient BMW X-1 from 2011 has cameras both from and rear with distance colored lines too. It was an option for Europe at least when I got mine.
It bewilders me sometimes that our Teslas lack the camera views and a few other things. I would not even consider a non-Tesla now, but I wish Tesla would at least incorporate the comparable vehicle technology displays.
While they're doing that they might make a few interior storage pockets, grab handles and coat hooks, maybe more movement range for the passenger seat.

Thank goodness we have these things about which we can complain.:rolleyes:There is not much else for me to gripe about.

• Love
Reactions: mbhforum
When he said those words, the only "Autopilot" that existed was the one he just announced, and he said it in the context of continuously improving its software to add features. A reasonable person would take it to mean the Autopilot system he just announced will eventually be able to do the things he said.
We've discussed this before in these forums. Play the video again. He talks about the systems components and what it can do. He then talks about some blue sky things (such as meet you at the curb) he hopes it will be able to do in the future. It is clear to me (and others) that he is talking about future iterations of development (both HW and SW because he gets into FSD and AP1 hardware could never do FSD. His references were to the Tesla autopilot program, not the system being announced that day.

Kind of like: we are pleased to announce SpacX's newest vehicle - the Fakcon 9 booster, which will be the most efficient space launch vehicle ever built to date. We expect to be able to recover it on land or barges at sea to reutilize it. In addition, we expect to use it to resuuply not only cargo, but people to space stations. Ultimately we expect to colonize mars in the future.

Elon has a habit of starting talking about something and quickly jumping to his long term vision. Just my 2 cents' worth

Reactions: mblakele
People keep saying this and I can't find anywhere where Tesla ever said this. The only place even close I can find is Elon Musk's comments in the original Autopilot announcement/rollout where he said they expect that Autopilot would eventually be able to do that. He never said that the originally released autopilot (what we call AP1) would be able to do that. Is there a place you can reference where Tesla said AP1 would have this capability?

You cannot find this possibly because you are only looking at what information is available on the website today. Luckily Internet has elephant memory:
Model S | Tesla Motors

Scroll down to "AutoPilot Parking" description. See the picture of the car pulling out and then meeting you at the curb. Note the automatic parking at supercharger description as well.

• Informative
Reactions: MikeBur
I assume you are referring to this from the website language:

Autopilot Parking
Model S helps you find a parking spot and automatically parks in it. In the city, it will notify you when it finds a parallel parking spot, then control steering, acceleration and deceleration to back smoothly into it. When approaching a Supercharger station, Model S automatically parks in an open stall. Model S will even park itself in your garage at home.

With calendar syncing enabled, Model S checks current traffic conditions to determine how much time is needed to make your first meeting of the day. At the right time, it turns on the climate control and opens the garage door. On private property, Model S will even pull out of the garage and meet you at the curb.

The way I read that, they have delivered on every one of those promises. Let's dissect it:
1. "Model S helps you find a parking spot and automatically parks in it."
--This is the autoparking capability for both parallel and perpendicular parking.
2. "In the city, it will notify you when it finds a parallel parking spot, then control steering, acceleration and deceleration to back smoothly into it."
-- Again, current autoparking capability. It alerts when it passes a parallel parking spot and then can back into it to.
3. "When approaching a Supercharger station, Model S automatically parks in an open stall."
-- Again, current capability to back into a perpendicular parking spot. Doesn't even need to be a supercharger stall.
4. "Model S will even park itself in your garage at home."
-- This is the summon capability.
5. "With calendar syncing enabled, Model S checks current traffic conditions to determine how much time is needed to make your first meeting of the day. At the right time, it turns on the climate control and opens the garage door. On private property, Model S will even pull out of the garage and meet you at the curb."
-- Already has the ability to check calendar and traffic conditions. Turning on climate control is preconditioning. Doesn't work great but it does work and likely will be improved through software. Pull out of the garage and meet you at the curb has to do with where you define the curb. It already will pull out of the garage and meet you at the curb of the driveway.

Now we can debate the definition of where the "curb" is but I think people are expecting a lot more than what was actually offered. We can certainly debate how effectively or reliably a Tesla with AP1 hardware accomplishes items 1-5 above, but to say it cannot do them at all is simply not true.... Of course this is just my opinion. I know there are others who feel differently but that's the great thing about opinions -- we all have them!

The way I read that, they have delivered on every one of those promises. Let's dissect it:
--This is the autoparking capability for both parallel and perpendicular parking.
2. "In the city, it will notify you when it finds a parallel parking spot, then control steering, acceleration and deceleration to back smoothly into it."
-- Again, current autoparking capability. It alerts when it passes a parallel parking spot and then can back into it to.
3. "When approaching a Supercharger station, Model S automatically parks in an open stall."
-- Again, current capability to back into a perpendicular parking spot. Doesn't even need to be a supercharger stall.
5. "With calendar syncing enabled, Model S checks current traffic conditions to determine how much time is needed to make your first meeting of the day. At the right time, it turns on the climate control and opens the garage door. On private property, Model S will even pull out of the garage and meet you at the curb."
-- Already has the ability to check calendar and traffic conditions. Turning on climate control is preconditioning. Doesn't work great but it does work and likely will be improved through software. Pull out of the garage and meet you at the curb has to do with where you define the curb. It already will pull out of the garage and meet you at the curb of the driveway.

Now we can debate the definition of where the "curb" is but I think people are expecting a lot more than what was actually offered. We can certainly debate how effectively or reliably a Tesla with AP1 hardware accomplishes items 1-5 above, but to say it cannot do them at all is simply not true.... Of course this is just my opinion. I know there are others who feel differently but that's the great thing about opinions -- we all have them!
I agree. Some of us seem to want it to be 100% perfect all the time. AP, regardless of version is still in Beta, isn't it? if anybody else were more advanced maybe we could quibble, but they aren't.

Tesla's big asset is its loyal fans, most of them would come defend tesla in an indefensible case. Here we are talking about a simple feature that many would love to see, I hope tesla would listen and take action to support, it's good for the customer, it's good for tesla.

The other feature ppl asked was linking key fob to profile, I am glad to see that feature was enabled and working well in recent 2.50.180 release.

As far as parking/self parking features someone mentioned above, and, autosteer, fully automated drive that I paid $8k for it, it is not available for me as of yet.

Will anyone buying a GM car, paying $8k for features, not knowing when some of the basic features will be available, be as patient as tesla fans?

Tesla can get away with the current level of support, communication, "bait and switch", etc. However, to be a mature and grown up company, tesla has a long way to go.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones and croman

By your logic, my AP1.0 car picks me up at the curb and autonomously drives me to work. I work from home, and my curb is directly on the side of the driveway, so a simple summon from my driveway into the garag accomplishes the feat of autonomously driving me to work. Your reasoning is no different, though I would like you to show me how the AP1 car can do what is shown in the picture next to the text you quoted, where a clear 90 degree turn and going in reverse and then backwards is shown.

@whitex -- Obviously we disagree and I can appreciate your point. The problem is that their language has always said "as long as it's on private property" or similar words, so pulling out of the garage onto a street and then going to the curb was not something they ever said orally or in writing. I agree that the graphic sure makes it look that way.

I still stand by the fact that (to the best of my knowledge) Tesla has delivered what was promised contractually on ordering documents which are all that have legal standing. Even Elon's tendency for hyperbole is not grounds for a lawsuit citing "non-delivery of a contractually promised capability" as has been discussed in multiple threads in these forums. It is certainly clear to me that Tesla creates very high expectations with their publicity and marketing efforts/demonstrations and creates an environment where people will be disappointed. I absolutely would not argue against that because I think that's true. Where i have a problem is when people state Tesla failed to deliver what was promised because I think they pretty much have and (from a legal perspective) have in fact done so. Now AP2.0/EAP/FSD are another issue entirely...but we're talking about your statements WRT AP1.0 promises.

So this is a feature my wife loved on her old Infiniti as well, and I even sent a feedback memo about it. I also agree that it is very useful, especially when parking. (in both spots and in a garage) - The thing about Tesla though, is that it should be totally doable as an OTA update. Just turn on all of the cameras in a 4 pane split window if you want a quick and easy programming job. Shouldn't be that difficult and it would be one more thing you can list as a feature that people love.

@wbhokie -- problem is the front view. The cameras that produce the "front of the car view" in those displays are on the front bumper or grill. In the case of a Tesla, the only forward looking cameras are on the B-pillars and on the top of the front windshield next to the rear-view mirror. As a result, the cameras have a blind spot extending several feet below the front of the hood...which is exactly where you would want that front camera to display for parking purposes. So there is no software fix to enable the display you and the OP are talking about...it would require installation of at least one additional camera somewhere on the nosecone (and likely two given how the current systems work).