Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can we now expect a 360° "birdview" parking camera ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no camera in the nose. The windshield camera could see a little more than the driver, but never able to see ground right below the bumper.

my 2014 335i "360" view had no camera for the front either - it was a blind spot on the aerial diagram - still it was a very helpful feature (270 if you will) - on the BMW its just a tiny little camera mounted on the mirrors that's actually fisheye thats converted to form a panoramic image, I'm sure the side fisheye camera can be software interpolated to do the same (B/W would be just fine). Perhaps I bet it is something much lower down on their list. There's a lot of cool stuff they could do with the hardware.

Reactions: JasJ
. At some point someone decided that removing the headphone jack would solve some of these other requests that they have. Of course the fact that they can make a bundle selling new wireless ear buds was just icing on the cake.
The phone is not thinner than 3.5mm so they didn't remove it to make the phone thinner. Then there is the other side of this coin - the thinner they make it, the more fragile it is and the bigger the case it requires. I remember the days where cellular carriers would not accept a phone that would not survive a 3ft drop onto concrete, today's super thin phones shatter when you look at them funny.

The request Apple was satisfying is from the shareholders to make more money. Apple hasn't come up with any major successful innovations since Steve died. I never liked Apple products for myself, except for an iPad, but always admired their products, until Steve died. The first iMac I got my wife took a few minutes to setup, I entered my info once, everything just worked. The last one required me to enter my freaking information 5 or 6 times, because I guess different teams cannot share information with each other? After being a Mac user for a decade and half, my wife told me last year that she will leave me if I get her another Mac. She still likes her iPhone, but now uses a Windows PC. She says she misses the looks of the iMac, but not the functionality which apparently got less and less intuitive and more and more annoying to use for her over the last few years.

I hope Tesla doesn't go the route of Apple. I also hope they don't spread themselves too thin and leave a lot of things unfinished - our AP2 car still doesn't have automatic rain-detecting wipers so I doubt they have time to design and implement a 360 view.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
"My 7mm-thick phone is too thick and I already get abundant battery life, I'd rather make it thinner than put in a bigger battery."
—— literally no-one ever

The phone is not thinner than 3.5mm so they didn't remove it to make the phone thinner. Then there is the other side of this coin - the thinner they make it, the more fragile it is and the bigger the case it requires. I remember the days where cellular carriers would not accept a phone that would not survive a 3ft drop onto concrete, today's super thin phones shatter when you look at them funny.
The male bit on the headphone is 3.5mm. The female bit in the phone is larger than 3.5mm. That bit takes up space that could be used for other things and/or to reduce the overall size.

I don't disagree with either of your comments. My point is that users often request things that require compromises in other areas, sometimes to the user's surprise. Users also often request things that will actually make the product worse. I have been in this position as a vendor before. What is the company to do?

Steve was an a-hole and didn't care what others thought. This left him free to build the product he thought best. Sometimes it was a colossal failure and sometimes it was an enormous success. That was always the fun of Apple stock. Almost bankrupt to high-flyer every few years.

I suspect Apple will go through a MSFT phase where they get lost in the woods for awhile and just trade on their past (I think they're there now - they haven't done anything new for years). Hopefully they will find their way out.

Hopefully Tesla's product won't go the way of Apple's, whose major recent innovations are removing 3.5mm headphone jack, adding a dual camera to an outdated bezel design, and a "stickers, stickers, stickers" app. Apple's market share has been dropping despite the big Samsung Galaxy battery fiasco.
View attachment 224749
Source article: IDC: Smartphone Vendor Market Share
Do you know why? Because samsung and others appeared in the market... Market share is not relevant. Apple is an expensive brand, no expensive brand gets all the market share..
Users ask old features normally, no user asks "Give me some innovation that im not aware of pls"
My background: im an ios developer. I work with apple software/hardware a lot.

Wow, what a great idea to ignore owner feature requests. What a great way to run a company. Let me know when you start a successful one. By the way, Apple is very receptive to user feedback and feature requests. You don't seem to know much about Apple.

You do run companies by saying "NO". Try to say "YES" to users and you will fail fast.
Apple is not receptive at all. They do what they think is the best for the user. Otherwise we wouldn't have 16GB iPhones.

I hope Tesla keeps this trend of doing what is right for the user and not what the user wants.

I tends to believe 90% of the "users"/drivers would love to see the bird's eye(360 or 270)view. It's a safety feature.

This feature will make tesla look more "sophisticated and hi-tech".

The feature only needed in Parking process, and, relatively easy to add/do. I believe a summer intern can get it done in 3 months.

Reactions: boaterva and EVger
I'll really miss this feature from my BMW that's for sure. But What do I know by the time I receive my car it may be pushed out in a software update. Like this one from BMW.
563ea719e4b090d389c262dd_3_v1.jpg

We have that 360 in my wife's Toyota Rav4. The car salesman briefly demonstrated it and remarked how that no one would ever use it. But we use it all the time to see where we are in a parking spot, both for side clearances but forward ones as well. One time we parked at at a city park where the side lines were clearly marked on the asphalt, but there was nothing at the end of the asphalt to where the grass park started. The 360 view ensured that we didn't drive off the blacktop onto the mud and grass.

A 360 degree camera view would be useful, but the problem is even with the 8 camera "system" of HW2, there is a blind spot directly in front of the car which would require a front fascia mounted camera. To see the blindspot, get in the car, and put your eye at the top of the windshield. That is what the forward facing camera sees. There is probably a five foot blind spot directly in from of the car's hood.

It would be helpful to avoid rubbing the bottom of the front of the car on higher curbs.

A 360 degree camera view would be useful, but the problem is even with the 8 camera "system" of HW2, there is a blind spot directly in front of the car which would require a front fascia mounted camera. To see the blindspot, get in the car, and put your eye at the top of the windshield. That is what the forward facing camera sees. There is probably a five foot blind spot directly in from of the car's hood.

It would be helpful to avoid rubbing the bottom of the front of the car on higher curbs.

Could the blind spot in front of the car be artificially produced by taking a still image and then when the car rolls forward, overlay the still image over the video? Seems like a pretty simple solution in today's computer age.

Also, just because it's what users ask for, it's not the wrong thing... sometimes we go too far down the 'Henry Ford and Steve Jobs' path of 'new stuff no one thought of is better, everything else sucks'. Yeah, IF the car could ALWAYS autopark under EVERY circumstance, you don't need 360 view, or steering wheels, or, or, or.... For a while now, we will be parking at least sometimes, and it would help US to have 360 view. :D <off soapbox>

How much would that extra front camera cost? I know I'd pay for that, also.

Could the blind spot in front of the car be artificially produced by taking a still image and then when the car rolls forward, overlay the still image over the video? Seems like a pretty simple solution in today's computer age.
You *might* be able to do this like the dashcams do for parking mode, where they buffer X seconds; the front view could be from what the windshield camera saw two seconds ago when it could see in front of you where the bumper is now. That breaks down sometimes, of course, but it's an idea.

What you're saying is a problem, but not a deal breaker. Take a step back and look at the big picture, pun intended. Even if 360 degrees is not possible, a 330 degree camera is still much more useful than the rear view camera.

I would absolutely love it if Tesla launched a version of the camera with a frontal blind spot. (And a previous poster did mention that his BMW had a similar blind spot.)

Buffering the picture might work, but it would take a bunch of processing power to handle when you turn also.

I would be happy if the distance sensors would sense things at or above the level of the bottom of the bumper. That way I would know if I am going to crunch my lower bumper by virtue of the sounds I would hear.