Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you request a supercharger site in your neighborhood if you own several Tesla cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, I imagine that for Tesla to entertain siting a Supercharger in a particular area (for local charging purposes, not long distance travel), they are looking for a density of 1000's of cars in a particular area, not less than 10. Supercharger sites are $250,000 investments, and without stationary storage, electricity demand charges are going to be uneconomical if only shared between 10-100 vehicles.

Besides, is a Supercharger even warranted? For less than a 10th of the cost, you could install a bank of destination chargers.

If your situation is such that you believe you live in a high density area with little dedicated off-street parking, then it may make sense to approach a grocery store outlet to make the case for them to host a Supercharger. This is a place where a large number of people tend to go on a regular basis for about the right amount of time to get a charge.

I live 20 miles south of Chicago and where I live it's definitely a great place to put in a supercharger with all the new Tesla owners I see driving every day. I been a Tesla fan since 2013 and I've been waiting 8 years and there still hasn't been a supercharger installed somewhere close to where I live. It would be nice if Tesla had a thing where owners with 4+ cars had a chance to request a supercharger or even a destination charger in their neighborhood.

I own 4 Tesla cars and soon might own another 3-5 by end of next summer. Has anyone heard of someone getting a supercharger installed in their neighborhood because they own 4+ Teslas?

Maybe you want to increase that to 100 as Tony Hsieh did for Las Vegas Tesla Supercharger.

He announced the project in April 2013 and Tesla then built the first Las Vegas Supercharger and opened it up in February 2014.

Reactions: stock1232
I live 20 miles south of Chicago and where I live it's definitely a great place to put in a supercharger with all the new Tesla owners I see driving every day. I been a Tesla fan since 2013 and I've been waiting 8 years and there still hasn't been a supercharger installed somewhere close to where I live. It would be nice if Tesla had a thing where owners with 4+ cars had a chance to request a supercharger or even a destination charger in their neighborhood.
Anyone can send in a request to host a Supercharger. But I don't think they are going to prioritize locating near someone with just a few Teslas. (If you really wanted one you could probably ask to pay to have one installed where you want it...)

So if you know someone with land that would like to host one give them this link and ask them to apply:

Suburbs generally mean off street parking, so people are going to be charging at home, thus no need for a supercharger. With that many cars, I assume you are running some sort of rental or fleet business? You could probably buy a 25kW chademo charger for private use if that is the case and just pick up an adapter on ebay if you don't already have one.
I have four Tesla cars on Turo.

I own 4 Tesla cars and soon might own another 3-5 by end of next summer. Has anyone heard of someone getting a supercharger installed in their neighborhood because they own 4+ Teslas?

I have four Tesla cars on Turo.

This reads like "I have 4 cars on turo and want tesla to install a supercharger in my neighborhood to make it easier to run my new business"

Superchargers are intended to either help people road trip, or to provide charging in urban areas with a high density of condo's / apartments etc. Suburban settings normally can have home charging, and also are usually not destinations that need a supercharger unless they are also HUGE tourist destinations.

If your neighborhood is a huge tourist destination (one that attracts national attention / tourists) then you likely have a point. Otherwise, it just looks like "I want superchargers for my business cars".

Last edited:
This reads like "I have 4 cars on turo and want tesla to install a supercharger in my neighborhood to make it easier to run my new business"

Superchargers are intended to either help people road trip, or to provide charging in urban areas with a high density of condo's / apartments etc. Suburban settings normally can have home charging, and also are usually not destinations that need a supercharger unless they are also HUGE tourist destinations.

If your neighborhood is a huge tourist destination (one that attracts national attention / tourists) then you likely have a point. Otherwise, it just looks like "I want superchargers for my business cars".
No it doesn't read like that but nice try.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
No, I imagine that for Tesla to entertain siting a Supercharger in a particular area (for local charging purposes, not long distance travel), they are looking for a density of 1000's of cars in a particular area, not less than 10. Supercharger sites are $250,000 investments, and without stationary storage, electricity demand charges are going to be uneconomical if only shared between 10-100 vehicles.
I don't know who told you that because it is not true at all.

Even a Supercharger with 4 stalls costs over half a million dollars.

I don't know who told you that because it is not true at all.

Even a Supercharger with 4 stalls costs over half a million dollars.
Here's costing from the Canadian Superchargers on BC Hwy 97 which had 3 sites, each with 8 Superchargers+1 more expensive non-Tesla DC Fast charger which worked out to under $47K USD per stall.
NRCan paid half the cost of this installation, and that grant is public information.

"27 Electric vehicle chargers ($794,459 funding for 24 Superchargers with 8 each on 3 sites + 3 Flo Addenergie SmartDC Fast charging stations with one for each of the 3 sites), $29424 CAD per stall funding, $58849 CAD full cost per stall if funding was 50%. This is $46964 USD per stall."

Post in thread 'Western Canada Superchargers' Western Canada Superchargers

Citation, please.
50 kW DCFC costs ~$80k

150 kW DCFC costs ~$160k

350 kW DCFC costs ~$200k

The above include the cost needed for the the DCFC to be up and running/keep running.

Now, I am giving Tesla volume discount for equipment, but over half the cost is something other equipment and those don't get volume discount.

So suppose that each stall is $125k, which is insanely cheap, 4 stall Supercharger is already half a million dollars.

• Funny
50 kW DCFC costs ~$80k

150 kW DCFC costs ~$160k

350 kW DCFC costs ~$200k

Now, I am giving Tesla volume discount for equipment, but over half the cost is something other equipment and those don't get volume discount.

So suppose that each stall is $125k, which is insanely cheap, 4 stall Supercharger is already half a million dollars.

Tesla designs and builds their own charging equipment out of many of the same components used in their vehicles. There are no middle men to mark up the prices, no third party payment systems to integrate into the equipment and no expensive touch screens / UI components. IMO, their vertical integration, simplicity and economy of scale is why Tesla will dominate the EV charging market in the years to come.

As mentioned above, pricing per stall for Tesla V3 is around $50,000 for typical installations according to the latest publicly-available information on public funding for EV charging infrastructure in Canada.

No it doesn't read like that but nice try.
Yes it does read that way.
If you are serious about expanding your business you would have already considered the charge infrastructure needed to support it. As someone else has already suggested, spent the money for a bank of Wall connectors and upgrade your electrical service to handle the higher demand?

Tesla designs and builds their own charging equipment out of many of the same components used in their vehicles. There are no middle men to mark up the prices, no third party payment systems to integrate into the equipment and no expensive touch screens / UI components. IMO, their vertical integration, simplicity and economy of scale is why Tesla will dominate the EV charging market in the years to come.

As mentioned above, pricing per stall for Tesla V3 is around $50,000 for typical installations according to the latest publicly-available information on public funding for EV charging infrastructure in Canada.
It's more like an accounting trick.

What someone charges from at a Supercharger or an Electrify America station is just a terminal, which is dirt cheap compared to everything else.

The actual expensive equipment is in the cabinets.

Anyhow, over half of the cost is actually from something else other than equipment.

That includes thing such as getting permits, utility hookups, physical installation, networking/cloud service, assurance/warranty/maintenance, etc.

Tesla prices might seem low, but it actually depends on what Tesla is counting in the prices.

Last edited: