Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can your AC keep up with the summer heat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BTW: is your head close to the roof when you drive? I've found that the top two or so inches under the roof are very hot with no insulation.
My head isn't close to the roof, I'm 5'11", but I still feel the radiant heat on my head. Especially in traffic where there is no wind to cool down the sunroof.

I have the two-piece sunscreen for the roof and I find that it does make a significant difference. Right now it's in the mid 90's where we live. I'm ok with the sunscreen since it was only $59 from Amazon.
I was thinking of getting a sunscreen as well, but didn't want to lose the sunroof window view. My wife's Audi Q5 has a semi transparent sunscreen and it works very well. I wish Tesla had a built in sunroof cover which can be open and close, like all other vehicles at its price range.

Reactions: whisperingshad
Something related to A/C - Does anyone feel that AC is also venting through footwell area even when you set air flow to blow through the face level (the mid level as pictured), not the windshield level or foot-level vents.

It's not a big problem when it's super hot but my feet get cold before the rest of the area cools down to the designated temperature.

Am I doing anything wrong or is it designed that way to some air will flow through footwell area no matter what?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 5.17.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 5.17.46 PM.png
    139 KB · Views: 102
I've heard from a tint/ppf guy that tinting the top glass may cause cracks. Hopefully it's not true. It hasn't gotten unbearably hot yet here but there was a day in the mid 80s where I felt the heat coming in from the top. I can only imagine how bad it gets when its over 100 degrees.
It's BS . They don't, can't, or want to do it.

Reactions: FlyerDude
Something related to A/C - Does anyone feel that AC is also venting through footwell area even when you set air flow to blow through the face level (the mid level as pictured), not the windshield level or foot-level vents.

It's not a big problem when it's super hot but my feet get cold before the rest of the area cools down to the designated temperature.

Am I doing anything wrong or is it designed that way to some air will flow through footwell area no matter what?
It does. I wish the AUTO setting would use feet more too

I have a 2023 Model Y, on a 95+ degree day, my AC seems to hover around low 80s, when set to 72 degrees Fahrenheit. I have a suspicion the glass roof is heating up the insides too much. I have all my windows and windshield tinted with 3m ceramic and crystalline, glass roof is untinted, but my Tesla is grey so also extra heat absorption. How is your Model Y copping with summer heat?
Naples FL is 92-93 every day + with dew points in the mid 70's.....lovely tropical weather.

We have no issue getting the vehicle properly cooled (we have ceramic tint too).

Forgot what subforum I'm in. Now that we have a Y too I'm going to have to keep a closer eye on that.
LOL, I did it too. If you hadn't said it and then corrected yourself it would have been me saying it. I made the mistake of leaving range mode on once in a heat wave and I thought my MX was destined for a SC visit to get the HVAC replaced. I felt like an idiot when I realized I only needed to turn one setting off to get things back to normal. My only wish is that I had a 6 seater instead of 5 but not for the seats...for the third row A/C vents. The cargo area in my MX never seems to cool down which makes it less than ideal for dogs or groceries.

I had this exact problem but I’m in Phoenix. I think it is the glass roof but there are some easy solutions. When I get in my car it’s jacket weather every time now (Phoenix joke - 65 degrees).

1. Tint to state legal maximum on all windows and get a battle tested windshield sunshade. I didn’t tint the roof because I like seeing through it the other 9 months. (I’ve done this to every car I’ve owned here).

2. Cabin overheat protection: no-AC. The air may be 70 while driving but every inch of the interior is 150 heating up the air on the drive home. This is really an incredible feature. No AZ car that doesn’t have something like this is truly cold on all surfaces in less than 15 minutes of driving.

3. For Summer this installs easy and comes down in a couple minutes for the other season: not so summer. It works really well. https://shop.tesla.com/product/model-y-glass-roof-sunshade

4. With the above you can precondition the car for a few minutes and have it be very cold or tolerable if you don’t. Use Keep liberally when going in places for less than an hour.

I came from Mercedes and I like the Tesla system better than the Merc. I do Home visits and 25 minutes parked with a 5 minute drive between stops x 10 a day - the Mercedes was always boiling hot and that AC is really good.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: BitJam and jcanoe
Question for those using EVGlass in warm places like south florida: do you keep the cabin overheat protection on?
I was about to buy one for my Tesla model Y but am now reconsidering because the installation manual says
"The rubber seal is temperature rated to 60°C / 140°F. Tesla UV absorbing roof glass gets very hot in the sun, use the Tesla cabin overheat protection feature when parked to prevent overheating of the rubber seal."

Question for those using EVGlass in warm places like south florida: do you keep the cabin overheat protection on?
I was about to buy one for my Tesla model Y but am now reconsidering because the installation manual says
"The rubber seal is temperature rated to 60°C / 140°F. Tesla UV absorbing roof glass gets very hot in the sun, use the Tesla cabin overheat protection feature when parked to prevent overheating of the rubber seal."
Hello-
I’ve purchased 3 X’s (much more glass exposure) and 2 Y’s for use in Naples/Nc since 2016. Of those 5, only the ’16 was moderately challenged when taking one trip in 100+ temps. The rest have handled severe SW FL and NC heat (I do put ceramic film on the vehicle which is important in any Florida location).

You don’t mention whether it will be garaged but in any event with the Tesla app you can pre-cool the car when desired.

I live in Texas and 110degrees in summer is normal. We’ve had the car two years.
The car has ceramic tints on rear and side windows only and it’s fine, the AC copes perfectly even when doing 800 mile per day road tripping in the summer sun and doing merciless back to back supercharging sessions and really stressing the cooling system.
I have considered going back to the installer and getting ceramic tinting the front but clear or as clear as possible but haven’t bothered…

• Informative
Reactions: TimTam and BitJam