Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada Model S Plaid and LR orders and deliveries!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do you mean by 1 tick forward? The tax was ratified over a year ago (14 months) and has a clear start date. It makes it sound like there is a chance that it will be cancelled.
Given we're essentially in the same place as we were before the election, still having to work with the NDP, I just don't see any possibility of it being cancelled. A hope for a modification, but even that is doubtful with the NDP agenda that's going to be pushed.

Reactions: AMGF and Bitjockey
What do you mean by 1 tick forward? The tax was ratified over a year ago (14 months) and has a clear start date. It makes it sound like there is a chance that it will be cancelled.
The government is taking feedback up to sept30. The lux tax is still not official as of now. But it just got a bit closer to becoming official yesterday.

• Informative
Reactions: TrevTremaine
I don't want to distract from all the delivery excitement over here, but the luxury tax was a hot topic in this thread a month or two ago. The gov is accepting feedback until September 30. I sent them an email, and if you don't mind my saying so, you should too!

I made the case that expensive purchases (like a Model S) should be encouraged because these cutting-edge purchases drive innovation, which lowers the cost for everyone else down the road. Good for everybody? I think so. If the bloke can afford the car, let him buy it! Tax based on income, not on what we choose to spend our hard-earned money on.

The discussion started around here, if you want to read what others were sending in.
Reposting this to remind people to have your say while you can.

Anyone know if the Tesla winter wheels abs tires can be used on the refreshes long range Model S? I believe that they changed the wheels/tires in some way on the new model but wondering if they’ll still work. Not excited about trying to find winter wheels on relatively short notice for a winter delivery…

These are the specific wheels I’m referring to:

It has been official for over a year:

I’m no english major but the very first sentence in the link says: intention to introduce. 🤷‍♂️

Not that I doubt they will go ahead, just that they make it seems like there’s still a chance it won’t pass exactly as is. Throughout the text they make it seems like it is not completely a done deal yet, with phrases like this one: the Luxury Tax regime would subsequently be included in a bill to be introduced in Parliament.

Had the Liberals lost, we could have hoped for the tax to be dropped entirely. But they won. Hence my 1 tick forward comment.

Reactions: int32_t and MikeJ
I’m no english major but the very first sentence in the link says: intention to introduce. 🤷‍♂️

Not that I doubt they will go ahead, just that they make it seems like there’s still a chance it won’t pass exactly as is. Throughout the text they make it seems like it is not completely a done deal yet, with phrases like this one: the Luxury Tax regime would subsequently be included in a bill to be introduced in Parliament.

Had the Liberals lost, we could have hoped for the tax to be dropped entirely. But they won. Hence my 1 tick forward comment.
To add to this, it could end up getting implemented late.. but we should plan to pay it anyways 😅

Reactions: AMGF
Assuming this is implemented, I understand that as long as it has a manufacturing date in 2021 the tax is not applicable. So if one were to receive the car in January or February with a production date of prior to 2022, the tax does not apply?

The Luxury Tax would not apply to an otherwise taxable importation of a specified vehicle on or after January 1, 2022 if:

• the specified vehicle has a date of manufacture before 2022;

• Informative
Reactions: TrevTremaine
Would leasing be an option? Would that allow us to work around the additional tax?
I was re-reading the lease aspects — it really seems like the leasing company will owe the luxury tax as they still own the vehicle. I think we will see MSRP markup as a result if that is the case.

Consequently, Luxury Tax in respect of the leased select good would become payable by the registered vendor at that time and accounted for in the corresponding Luxury Tax return

The gov documentation is really all over the place, so we just need to wait it out.

Look where my photo ended up. But they got my delivery date wrong. It was Sunday morning not Saturday evening.

Forget the luxury tax my MSLR blue/ white got delayed again…. New ETA Dec 15-Jan 4!! 🤬🤬🤬🤬
This is not good. My EDD hasn’t changed in weeks, I don’t really like that. I’m afraid it will eventually get pushed back to 2022. I was supposed to get the car in August initially.

I’m not paying 14k$ of extra taxes that’s for sure. I will just cancel if it goes to that point. I don’t want to support that stupid tax nor Tesla for not trying to help as many of their Canadian customers while they’ve been putting dozens hundreds of cars up for sale across the US.