Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian speed limit signs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two years ago while touring British Columbia, no units conversion problems. Today as I crossed the border for s return to this wonderful province... problems with displayed speed limits. And now I see from this thread that the problem has been unresolved for months.

Will be in a car show tomorrow with 50,000 attendees expected. Hope nobody asks about software quality.

• Funny
Reactions: CalBlue 85D
I have the same problem. Bought the car in California (2016), and after 6 months went to Vancouver for work. Was tickled that everything automatically converted to KMH when I crossed the border in to Canada. But when I drove back home after 6 months, the speedometer is in MPH but the little speed limit signs are still in KMH. Can't find a solution.

Although the display of Canadian speed limits are being displayed incorrectly, it appears the speed limit warnings are properly handled. So if, for instance, you set the speed limit warnings to +20 km/hr over the posted limit, the icon flashing occurs at the correct speed.

Canadian 70D on 17.26.76. On a road trip to the US (Oregon eclipse!) and the reverse problem ocurrring for me - US signs don't get automatically converted to metric equivalent like they used to when display settings/speedometer set to metric.

As I say, it used to work perfectly when crossing the border, annoying such a simple thing remains broken so long after first reported.

Canadian 70D on 17.26.76. On a road trip to the US (Oregon eclipse!) and the reverse problem ocurrring for me - US signs don't get automatically converted to metric equivalent like they used to when display settings/speedometer set to metric.

As I say, it used to work perfectly when crossing the border, annoying such a simple thing remains broken so long after first reported.
Hey, at least your car works properly at it's home country. My Ontario model S thinks it is in the US for speed limit display. Except it still has the summon and DRL restrictions.

All Canadian cars have this issue and i'm surprised that Tesla hasn't resolved it. It's all due to a recent update in April that really messed up the readings. As Mr. Elbe pointed out, it's no doubt junior programmers who have disturbed the pot not knowing that Canada is metric.
In Europe, everyone is metric I believe so driving from one country to another doesn't change anything. However, going from Canada to the US is different. I wonder what it is like going to Mexico. I believe they are also metric if I'm not mistaken.
It's going to take a serious crash I'm afraid before Tesla gets their act together! Sad!

Lol I dont know why you only blame Jr programmers this mistake could have been easily been made by a senior as well. As a rule of thumb software changes should go through a code review so even if it was a Jr that did it a Sr. let it through.

Reactions: mrElbe
That problem was fixed in 2017.42. I’m very happy with this now. Even better would be for the MX to allow me to autosteer above 70kph on the 80kph highway leading from Kingston ON to my home. I’m unable to use autopilot at the proper speed on this portion of the road.