Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We need super chargers at all border crossings into the USA, on Canadian side on 400 series of highways. I am especially interested in west of Toronto, say London, Windsor, Sarnia also Niagara falls, ON. I would love to drive to Chicago and there are super chargers in the US that would accommodate that but I can not get charged west of Toronto.

Indeed. I've been crying about the 401 west of Toronto for some time now. It is an important route into and out of the US and important to tourism. It almost seems as though Tesla believes Canadians will stay in Canada and Americans will stay in the US.

And Sarnia too, if travelling Toronto to Chicago its faster through Sarnia border crossing, every GPS sends you that route

My daughter and son-in-law live in Chicago and you're right... that's the route we normally take. Unfortunately the US superchargers seem to run along I-80 to the south making Windsor/Detroit the only viable route for a Model S right now. If you check the mileage between Sarnia vs. Windsor, it's actually pretty close, except Windsor is probably a more time-consuming crossing into the US.

It's pretty clear that they're installing Superchargers where there's demand for their cars. There's always a bit of "chicken and egg" about these things. But also there are large expanses of this country with very low population density. If an Ontario driver wants to go to BC then they'd no doubt go through the USA to take full advantage of the Supercharger network.

Hi guys, I was doing some more hunting on the net and I found a website for Phase 2 of the power centre that has now broken ground in full swing, beside the Empire Theatre in Kingston where the Supercharger is supposed to be going. This link shows a pretty detailed plan of what is going on, including parking. I started zooming in and I think I found a possible Supercharger location! I could be wrong, or this plan could be totally outdated, but if you zoom way way in, where it says 'Phase 2 -Now Leasing-', look at the bottom right of the 'N' in 'LEASING'. Sort of looks like 8 parking spots with some room for electrical equipment after the 3rd spot. Could this be the Kingston Tesla Supercharger??? If so, this looks perfect, right in the middle of everything and non-prime spots that won't get ICE'd! I actually think this is recent and up to date, as the vacant building seen beside the Canadian Tire had been a St. Hubert's until a couple months ago. (No Frills, Canadian Tire, and Empire Theatre have already been open for over a year. All others listed I assume are already leased for the new development.)

Let me know what you guys think!!!

http://www.k-cap.com/documents/KC-Leasing Plan-MAR-14.pdf

Last edited:
Hi guys, I was doing some more hunting on the net and I found a website for Phase 2 of the power centre that has now broken ground in full swing, beside the Empire Theatre in Kingston where the Supercharger is supposed to be going. This link shows a pretty detailed plan of what is going on, including parking. I started zooming in and I think I found a possible Supercharger location! I could be wrong, or this plan could be totally outdated, but if you zoom way way in, where it says 'Phase 2 -Now Leasing-', look at the bottom right of the 'N' in 'LEASING'. Sort of looks like 8 parking spots with some room for electrical equipment after the 3rd spot. Could this be the Kingston Tesla Supercharger??? If so, this looks perfect, right in the middle of everything and non-prime spots that won't get ICE'd! I actually think this is recent and up to date, as the vacant building seen beside the Canadian Tire had been a St. Hubert's until a couple months ago. (No Frills, Canadian Tire, and Empire Theatre have already been open for over a year. All others listed I assume are already leased for the new development.)

Let me know what you guys think!!!

http://www.k-cap.com/documents/KC-Leasing Plan-MAR-14.pdf

Good job! But that could be anything in my opinion. I hope you're right though.

Buffalo should have a supercharger later this year, it can't come soon enough! Neither can the SC's west of Toronto.

Sarnia is only 290km from Toronto... As long as whoever you're visiting has an electric stove it should be a piece of cake to make that trip. All you need is a 14-50 extension cord.

It didn't take any convincing to get my dad to put a 14-50 in his garage. Makes visiting him in Chatham a piece of cake. It sure will be nice to snag some "free" electrons once the SC's west of Toronto are online.

We need super chargers at all border crossings into the USA, on Canadian side on 400 series of highways. I am especially interested in west of Toronto, say London, Windsor, Sarnia also Niagara falls, ON. I would love to drive to Chicago and there are super chargers in the US that would accommodate that but I can not get charged west of Toronto.
Plus I have family live in Sarnia that I can not visit in my Tesla.

- - - Updated - - -

And Sarnia too, if travelling Toronto to Chicago its faster through Sarnia border crossing, every GPS sends you that route

If an Ontario driver wants to go to BC then they'd no doubt go through the USA to take full advantage of the Supercharger network.

The way it's shaping up, a Toronto Model S driver would also go through the USA to visit the Atlantic provinces.

For Toronto to New Brunswick's capital, Frederiction, GoogleMaps suggests a 1366 km, 13:31 route which passes through Quebec, but there are no Superchargers planned for the last 713 km of that.

The suggested alternative is 1560 km and 14:40 through the States, but may be entirely doable with Superchargers by the end of the year. I'm not sure GoogleMaps takes into account border delays, the two orange traffic bottleneck segments, and the five construction icons in that 14:40, though. (There are none of those showing in the All-Canada route.)

As it stands, Quebec is the most populous Province or US State to have a solitary dot on the "By the end of 2015" Supercharger map. When you take into account that a Supercharger in Eastern Quebec would also service traffic to and from the Superchargerless Atlantic provinces, Tesla Motors ought to reconsider not planning any infrastructure for there.

Just thinking out loud... If I were in charge of the Canadian rollout (more specifically the rollout in Ontario) I'd prioritize putting SC's @ ~Niagara Falls and ~Chatham first to link to the existing SC network. I really hope these 2 make it in this year!

Hopefully they have the Lawrence Ave. supercharger up and running for the BBQ next month. :)

Last edited:
Just thinking out loud... If I were in charge of the Canadian rollout (more specifically the rollout in Ontario) I'd prioritize putting SC's @ ~Niagara Falls and ~Chatham first to link to the existing SC network. I really hope these 2 make it in this year!

Hopefully the have the Lawrence Ave. supercharger up and running for the BBQ next month. :)

Completely agree. This is what I proposed during the last survey @ Toronto East meeting

What time are you leaving for the BBQ Matt?...I want to make sure I get to the SC ahead of you...:wink:

Hopefully the have the Lawrence Ave. supercharger up and running for the BBQ next month. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.