Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe now that Tesla has announced the availability of a $1,000 Chaedmo adapter solution, we Canadians should be digging into the possibility of anyone (ie. Nissan, OnRoute?) putting in some Chaedmo chargers around Ontario. Wouldn't that be an interesting twist on the whole thing? (ya, ya...I know we already paid for Supercharging on our cars, so how come we don't have it yesterday...but for those of us that need options now....)

Maybe now that Tesla has announced the availability of a $1,000 Chaedmo adapter solution, we Canadians should be digging into the possibility of anyone (ie. Nissan, OnRoute?) putting in some Chaedmo chargers around Ontario. Wouldn't that be an interesting twist on the whole thing? (ya, ya...I know we already paid for Supercharging on our cars, so how come we don't have it yesterday...but for those of us that need options now....)

On this, I believe Hydro Quebec (in Quebec) has a pilot project of installing Chademo adapters at some of their public charging stations (Circuit Electrique). There is currently one on the South Shore of Montreal in Boucherville... But that Chademo adapter is so darn expensive... and big!

Not that it is 100% but...

Tesla Energizes West Coast Supercharger Corridor
Enables Free Long Distance Travel Between San Diego and Vancouver

PALO ALTO, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 10/30/13 -- Tesla Motors (NASDAQ: TSLA) today announced the opening of the West Coast Supercharger Corridor, energizing a network of stations that enable Model S owners to travel for free between San Diego, California and Vancouver, British Columbia.
With stations along U.S. Highway 101 and Interstate 5, the West Coast's key routes, cities and destinations are connected by Tesla Superchargers. Model S customers can drive between San Diego, Los Angeles, Santa Barbara, San Francisco, Sacramento, Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver for free with minimal stops. More than 99 percent of Californians and 87 percent of Oregon and Washington owners are now within 200 miles of a Supercharger.

Last edited:
I was just returning back to my car after running a work related errand and as I walked up I noticed a fellow walking around checking the car out. We're all used to this, so I didn't think anything of it. We started a brief conversation on how I liked it and it was the first one he had seen up here etc, nothing unusual. But then the conversation got interesting. The fellow said he works for an engineering firm, who happens to supply some sort of part to Tesla for the Model S and his company also did some work on the superchargers in California. He works at the BC branch of the company I presume, and he wasn't personally involved in those projects. However, since he is local, his head office is reaching out to him to help get local pricing for the Squamish and other BC superchargers (ie route from Vancouver to Calgary). This naturally perked my interest, and I asked how the progress is going on them. He said it is quite preliminary still and it will be a year before they are all built out. He said the Squamish one is quite a bit delayed right now too. I tried to pry from him more timing and the reason on the Squamish SC delay, but he started to get uncomfortable, as though he had already said too much. He seemed to want to get going at that point, and I didn't get anything else out of him. Perhaps he was full of hot air, or perhaps was getting uncomfortable and under some sort of NDA? Who knows, I couldn't get anything more out of him. I should have asked for more pointed information on exact locations I guess. Oh well.

Yes we will definitely see them, but not as early as their optimistic assumptions would suggest. If we have them on the 401 by spring I will be very happy. If we don't I will not be surprised. Could really use them now, though!

Personally, I'm not worried about the Supercharger network. Here in Canada we have the Sun Country Highway network of high-output level 2 chargers whose goal is to connect 90% of the highways IN THE WHOLE COUNTRY by year's end (not just highly-populated BC, AB, and ON)! And unlike Tesla, they have a reputation for meeting/exceeding their goals.

Superchargers will be nice, for sure, and I hope they are installed soon, but it was the SCH network that convinced me the time was right to go electric, not Tesla's. Besides, there are no Superchargers scheduled for my area on even the longest-term Tesla map. :crying:

I need the London, ON Supercharger as well as the ones through Michigan to make the Toronto-Chicago trip to my daughter's place at all viable. I can do it in under 8 hours in an ICE, but with slow Level 2 charging it may be a 2+ day trip.

..., but it was the SCH network that convinced me the time was right to go electric, not Tesla's.
The SCH chargers in Canada absolutely made it possible for the Canadian leg of our trip from Edmonton,AB to Palm Springs,CA. Longest leg was the first day to Revelstoke, BC in one long day (700 km / 435 miles).
Driving the US west coast with Supercharges was a dream. There was virtually no difference for us than driving an ICE on this stretch. We charged during lunch or coffee breaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.